1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Recxently picked up a 1999 RA07A,
Its been sat for about 3 months.
First ride out it stalled whilst riding 3 times before i couldnt start it again, first cut out around 3-4 miles off the throttle down hill, second stall 2miles down the road overtaking a lorry doing 60mph bike felt like it hit a limiter and had no power then stalled and had to coast of the slip road . Pulled up and couldnt get it to fire properly leave it 5 mins and itll fire up and cut out . Had it put on a jump pack and fired up and idled well. had it recovered home.
Took it out the next day 3miles and it stalled at low speed, started again after 5 miles then taking a junction clutch in it died, and took along time to start , whilst cranking held the throttle open and then release throttle and it'll cough but not start.
It has a facet fuel pump and chokes bloked off.
I have checked pump straight on to battery and it pulses.- Power to and from the fuel relay to the pump 2v at idle
I can blow through the fuel tank breather
New fuel filter and lines going on today.
It doesnt like starting first thing but once its started it'llstart first time.

Feel like im going around in circles with it

Any help is massively appriciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right took the bike out got about 4 miles bike bogged down and then cut out would not start just turning over like it had no spark, jumped bike of another battery and it fired straight flick of the switch no problem,
Also once its started and stopped you can start the bike on the side stand and clutch out but first time starting it won't start unless the side stand is up and clutch in.

Totally stuck on this

·
Junior
472 Posts
Right took the bike out got about 4 miles bike bogged down and then cut out would not start just turning over like it had no spark, jumped bike of another battery and it fired straight flick of the switch no problem,
Also once its started and stopped you can start the bike on the side stand and clutch out but first time starting it won't start unless the side stand is up and clutch in.

Totally stuck on this
Could be neutral swith faulty?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
My Transalp side stand switch got oily inside and cut out ! and the clutch, neutral and side stand switches are all connected to the ignition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK cool ill have a look and clean them up and take it for another ride.
Cheers
I'll update tomorrow with the results

·
Registered
335 Posts
My side stand switch was covered in chain oil EP80 and it got inside onto a copper slip [email protected] may be similar..There is on a Transalp ! a connector under the seat that a wire link can be put, to link two wires that the side stand is supposed to do..might be some info on here somewhere.but of course that would be taking away a safety feature, but may cure it short term.

·
Space Emperor
653 Posts
I had the same problem with my sidestand switch. I disconnected it. I also had the same problem recently, which is the fuel pump failing. Not failing as in broken, but failing as in not running for some reason. The carbs would fill up slowly and then the bike would run great until they had emptied. Is the pump running when you're cranking the engine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did wonder if you could just disconnect the side stand switch and still start the bike. When the bike was running I had voltage to the pump but I didn't have anything with me to check voltage when it wouldn't start , tempted to get a new fuel relay but also thinking cdi could be at fault and stopping fuel and spark ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So had another look at the bike last night, had a new battery so I hooked that up , got it started after alot of cranking over , having a look at all connections and wiring and then noticed a bit of smoke and found this

Not sure this is the original problem with the bike stalling but it's gotta be sorted now and then ill get back to fault finding , anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ouch.. had the same issue and caught it in time as it had not melted so badly.. A faulty regulator is I believe at the origin of this if i am not mistaken

·
Junior
472 Posts
Yeah had same issue years back, you can buy new connector on fleebay

·
Junior
472 Posts
No, just old I guess, you need new solenoid too, they not expensive

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to note, RD04 differnt to RD07

I've got a new solenoid and connector with extended wiring coming this weekend so hopefully get that sorted and then can back to the starting and cutting out problem.
Really appreciate all the help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bit of an update , rewired the starter solenoid plug and fitted a new solenoid , cranked it over a few times and then ....... the solenoid seemed to stick and gave the starter direct power to the starter and it sat there jurning over on its own!!!
disconected battery and tried again .... still stuck so i put the old one back on and it seems ok starts and runs normally now.
I have by passed the side stand switch as well now but i havent had time to take it out to see if that was the problem with the bike cutting out, will try and take it out tomorrow to find out that answer.
tried to start the bike this morning and cranked it over a few times and it coughed a couple of times wanting to start but had to keep cranking to get it to fire up properly? almost like the fuel is draining backwards over night ? do the facet pumps run both ways? would a none return valve up near the carbs solve this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts