Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im riding a '96 RD07A with 68,900 miles on the clock.

I have noticed that using first gear makes a loud whining sound, almost like a car in reverse. This is only apparent when the clutch is released. Also, this is only apparent whilst the throttle is closed.

As far as im aware the bike has spent quite a bit of its life commuting, along with some off road stuff, meaning 1st gear may have seen a fair bit of wear.

Now, the noise is getting gradually worse as the miles go on, do i need to go in there and replace it before my gearbox goes to the toilet?

Other option is wait until the bike hits 100k, go in there and replace cam chains, piston rings and valve seals, clutch and do the first gear then?

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts

I have noticed that using first gear makes a loud whining sound, almost like a car in reverse. This is only apparent when the clutch is released. Also, this is only apparent whilst the throttle is closed.

As far as im aware the bike has spent quite a bit of its life commuting, along with some off road stuff, meaning 1st gear may have seen a fair bit of wear.

Now, the noise is getting gradually worse as the miles go on, do i need to go in there and replace it before my gearbox goes to the toilet?

Other option is wait until the bike hits 100k, go in there and replace cam chains, piston rings and valve seals, clutch and do the first gear then?

Sounds like my third gear - having taken the engine apart the cog looks like it has cracks of some kind to the face of the teeth. I'll see if I can dig it out and get a piccie later.

I ended up replacing the engine as it is a complete strip down - akin to having to replace the output shaft. I then stripped the engine for parts now sold on ebay.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts

Hope you can see it clearly - not like that all the way round but about half way.

·
Banned
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and the pic, very useful.

I may take up your offer on the gear cluster, but the thing is, is the first gear likely to suddenly fail and take out my whole gearbox or is it a gentle wear and tear gets worse over time thing?

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
As already said - a whine in a given gear usually means that gear is worn out. I had those symptoms on a XR600 in third, a known fault. The hardening on the teeth had gone:

The gearbox still worked but made that sound.
On the XR6 the gears were only held on with circlips, so it's fixable in the shed - hopefully yours is the same but I don't know. On a XT600 I rebuilt they were pressed onto the shaft which needs a pro.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts

I have noticed that using first gear makes a loud whining sound...

Before spending loads of money on this strange whining noise, please take a quick look over your shoulder and make sure the wife isn't on the back!! :rolleyes:

:D

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Before spending loads of money on this strange whining noise, please take a quick look over your shoulder and make sure the wife isn't on the back!!

:D
You never know - that's what a lifesaver is for!

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
As already said - a whine in a given gear usually means that gear is worn out. I had those symptoms on a XR600 in third, a known fault. The hardening on the teeth had gone:

The gearbox still worked but made that sound.
On the XR6 the gears were only held on with circlips, so it's fixable in the shed - hopefully yours is the same but I don't know. On a XT600 I rebuilt they were pressed onto the shaft which needs a pro.

Circlips for the XRV - I bought a pair of circlip pliers years ago, for one job, never thought I would use 'em again - very handy though!

·
Registered
253 Posts
sadly a complete engine pull is required and changing of said first gear.
If you have an average technical ability you can do it yourself,I know as I have just done on on my xt600 5th gear where you have to squeeze them off and freeze them on.
The hardest part is believing you can do it !
May as well do the driveshaft too if its worn.
Take pictures as you go along or even record it and put it on youtube for other people to learn from..lots of bags and good manuals too,,,,

·
Banned
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will have to give it a go, not the time at the moment but when the weather turns and winter comes i will tear the engine down :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts