Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning everyone, yesterday i bought a honda mtx 125 for dirt cheap as the previous owner has slapped 2 stroke in the coolant. is this real bad or can it be sorted easy enough. any help would be ,much appreciated :D

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Like I said, in here someone will be along who knows what they're talking about & will correct me if I'm wrong;

oil & coolant tend to make a sort of mayonnaise looking mix which is pretty thick & "gloopy". The cooling circuit passes via a serpentine radiator circuit which involves lots of pipe of fairly small bore diameter & lots of corners & elbows where oil will accumulate. the engine cooling jacket is even worse. This will clog up the circuit & reduce the cooling affect which means overheat & all that that entails.

I guess you need to know how much oil he put in & if it was run like that or not.

If it wasn't run (can you take his word for it?) then you may get away with disconnecting & draining some hoses & rinsing them through. If it was run then it's going to be more serious.

whilst waiting for someone more clued up to come along, it may be worth disconnecting some coolant hose connections to see if there's any sign of oil in there. You may find how far it's gone round the circuit. Ifthere's a radiator cap, take that off & see if there's any "mayonnaise" inside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks lads, he says its been run but only started and wsnt for long. reacons he put about quarter of a litre in there, ands its been rolled across the road to me. he feels the bikes knackered because of this. i feel im getting a bargain lol. if it aint been run wouldnt the 2 stroke sit on top of the coolant like oil does on water???

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
thanks lads, he says its been run but only started and wsnt for long. reacons he put about quarter of a litre in there, ands its been rolled across the road to me. he feels the bikes knackered because of this. i feel im getting a bargain lol. if it aint been run wouldnt the 2 stroke sit on top of the coolant like oil does on water???

It would depend on where the oil has entered the system.

Was it poured into the radiator?

Or was it poured into the expansion bottle?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol sorry the exspansion bottle on the left hand side of the bike opposite the radiator, iv had a look in the bottle and can see that theres 2 stroke in there. is there any specific way to drain it or is it a matter of going bit by bit. lol i dont blame the lad who sold me it, took me long enough to find where the 2 stroke went lol

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
You should be able to disconnect the hose that goes into the bottom of the expansion tank and drain the contents. Note - some dis-assembly may be required. :D

If the oil has only been poured into the expansion tank, you might get away lightly, even if the bike has been run. It is just possible that no oil at all has actually got into the cooling circuit.

So, drain the expansion tank and see what volume of fluid you get. Also, as Moon has suggested, take off the radiator cap and see if there is any oil in there as well - the "mayonnaise" that Moon mentioned.

Good luck. :thumbup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your a diamond. cheers lads ill see what the biz is hopefully minor :D thnaks for your help if i get stuck ill be back :D thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Mornin' and welcome to the Mad House. :D

I wouldn't have thought that putting 2 stroke oil in the coolant would be too difficult to rectify. Drain out the contaminated coolant (and don't chuck it down the drain) then flush through a good few times before finally filling the system with the correct de-ionised / anti-freeze mix.

Job sorted.

I think.
Just as Lutin says. Open up hoses top and bottom and flush through with the garden hose. Let it run for a good few minutes until water comes out clear. Make sure you flush both the radiator and the engine.

Don't forget to flush the header tank as well

Then fill with antifreeze / water mix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool cool right so iv toon the exspansion tank off, cleaned out and allowing to dry. hose from bottom of radiator to a part of the engine...(water pump maybe) and cleaned the hose seemed to be no oil in there tho and if there was it was a small amount. no "mayonaise" in the radiator as moon suggested. shall i run the bike with the hose off? or you mean run it wen it all back together?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
was it was a small amount. no "mayonaise" in the radiator as moon suggested. shall i run the bike with the hose off? or you mean run it wen it all back together?
No flush it all through with a garden hose then put it all back together and refill. If it was me I would just fill with water and run it up to temp to get the thermostat open then drain and flush again finally filling with the antifreeze mix and test.

Don't run with hoses off or no coolant in system. You will bugger it that way.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
while you have the system drained back flush it.
if it is full of mayo try flushing it with hotwater and fairy liquid (other washing up liquids are available) you may need to do it a few times to clear it all out, and make sure to get rid of all the fairy when you have finished

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
seems to have done the trick. was no mayo luckily and flushed it right through. will run it for a bit and see what the sitch is :D cheers for ur help would of just twiddled me thumds else :thumbup:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
you can get proprietary engine flush that will totally clean out the water system if you want a bit of peace of mind, but it sounds like youve sorted it and your neighbour is a bit of a dobbin who will know he is when he hears you fire up his old bike every morning.

holts engine flush i can vouch for but dont bother on really old engines, the muck and gunk is holding it together and cleaned out they leak like sieves!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts