Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks... :eek:)

No Haven't bought my AT Yet, but getting close... :eek:)

Would like to know if anyone can recommend a 2Up Comfy seat for RD07...?

Currently looking at the CM Seats Basket Weave Offering... ( http://www.cmseats.co.uk/Blank Page 20.htm ) Bottom of Page
They seem to be the only supplier that I can find that offer a split 2Up saddle as opposed to a the Touratech or Corbin single slide options.

Any others out there? Experience with any of these...?

(Oh if it makes any difference, I've got a large arse, but the Mrs. has a rather small and cute one ;o) )

Thanx

Ciao Caio

·
Rule thy Mind
345 Posts
Custom seats of Coventry www.customseats.co.uk

Got mine recovered with gel pads for rider and passeger £250

Send you old and they will turn it round in under a week.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
i've been considering this as we tend to end up pretty squished together on the AT and then under heavy braking my nuts take the weight!! :shock:

are these seats:
a) comfy
b) keep you apart
c) guaranteed to ensure success in all areas of your life for the forseeable future?

(cos for £250 for a seat i want all three - you can get cheaper sofas than that!!!) :wink:

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
mikefletcheruk said:
Currently looking at the CM Seats Basket Weave Offering... ( http://www.cmseats.co.uk/Blank Page 20.htm ) Bottom of Page

...Experience with any of these...?
Ooooh yes, that's my bike/seat at the bottom of the page - haven't seen them before but then I've no reason to go on the website have I! :D

Yeah it's a great seat and I still consider it worth the money I paid. Really well made - it still looks like brand new despite me having used it for about 15k miles. The weave is sealed, not open, so it doesn't let in water like Jenna's Cagiva.

I'm sure it'll fit your backside, as for your wife's? Well, I think you should post some pictures and we'll come to some concensus! :shock: :D

·
Rule thy Mind
345 Posts
z-weiser said:
i've been considering this as we tend to end up pretty squished together on the AT and then under heavy braking my nuts take the weight!! :shock:

are these seats:
a) comfy
b) keep you apart
c) guaranteed to ensure success in all areas of your life for the forseeable future?

(cos for £250 for a seat i want all three - you can get cheaper sofas than that!!!) :wink:
Dont think the seat will tick box "c"

As for the price well all i can say is -----cheap seats for cheap bums :lol:

Ring Mel up he is a real nice guy and does a fantastic job ----the price is dependant on how far you want to go, the gel pads bumped the price up £85.

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx :eek:)

Hey thanx people...

Looks like CM's a runner then... (He also can offer the Bladerunner option for the AT aswell as the Weave...)

Ohhh and I'll ask the Mrs. about the Photo... Is that with or without her leathers on? ;o)

Thanx

Ciao Ciao

Fletch

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
yep they are good seats!

I've just done 6500 on mine 2 up and found it very comfy.

I managed to compress the seat by the end of it, but it was probably the way I sit and my bony arse!!

I called in on the way back from plymouth after the trip and melvin was more than happy to do a couple of mods and sort it out. All sorted now and back to comfy!

I actually had mine built up by about an inch or more and widened slightly. I also had the pillion seat lifted so she could see over my shoulder!

I still have my original seat to use so if anyone wants to try (RD07) before they buy, get in touch, providing I get it back!! :lol: :shock:

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
I am very interested in this type of seat and have narrowed it down to p&p seating then CM.. So far Cm is winning.. and if he is happy to adjust to fit our want that is even better.. I am 6'1" and my wife is 5'2" .. :lol:
Want i want to know is how much did you get the back raised so she can see and what is the height difference between you two...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I REALLY like the seat you picked out with the weave. I think it may be a little cooler in hot weather.
What ever you do......don't buy a Corbin for two up!!!! I picked one up in the States when I was there last. I almost stopped the bike to punch out my wife for sliding into me. Corbin said that they could transform the seat into the T.A. type but the freight from here was more than I paid for the damn seat!!!
Had a "local" step the Corbin and now it is O.K.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I just got a new job and I will need to ride from Bristol to Luton once every one or two weeks. These options look interesting but the heavily shaped seat reminds me of my old BMW R1100RT: Not a bad seat, but hardly opportunity to move around which meant a fixed position and relative discomfort. I'd like some more padding but rather keep the straight shape it has now. Anyone knows a supplier or a company that modifies the OE seat as such?

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
G'day Pinoy-al,
GA wells just adds a better foam and increased the width.. and rumor has it that it is just 25£... I dont however rememebr were they can be found..

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Xander said:
.. and if he is happy to adjust to fit our want that is even better.. I am 6'1" and my wife is 5'2" .. :lol:
Want i want to know is how much did you get the back raised so she can see and what is the height difference between you two...
I'm not sure this would be entirely the case if it was going backwards and forward in the post or more than a slight tweak. He basically firmed it up and tightened the weave fabric up as it had given a bit in one place. Not normally the case judging by his reaction so he tightened everything back up and added a bit more under my seat. If it's a case of a re-shape after you have tried it then it is pretty much a start from scratch affair so would probably cost to modify. I'm quite sure the first attempt will be suitable for most though.

She still can't see over my helmet but can at least now see over my shoulder. I am 6'3-4" ish and she is probably 5 and a half ish. I'll post some more detailed pics soon. Remember that my seat has been lifted too and looks a bit high to most under 6ft

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Meanwhile, I have just ordered a big gel-pad to stick on top of the seat. It looks rather "medical", like an item from an emergency piles survival-kit :oops: but if it helps on long trips I'll go with it :D And if it does, I can always decide integrating it with the padding under the cover, a nice bit of home-craft to get through those long winter evenings.

I will let you know if it's worth buying. The first challenge is actually getting the thing delivered because in a moment of complete madness I decided to order from M&P :roll:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well then, a miracle happened and I received the M and P gel-pad:

As I feared, this setup as shown is far from perfect: It's like sitting on a hot-water bottle, a very unsteady feel despite the strap. So plan B came into action: I removed the seat cover , used a bread knife cutting out the outline of the pad (I only cut it halfway deep because I wanted a wider and higher seat at the same time), put the pad in and gun-stapled the whole thing back together again:

Again, because I deliberately only cut out half the shape for the pad, it looks like me wearing a T-shirt that would have fitted me well 15 years ago :oops: , but I am sure if you make it a bit deeper you wouldn't see anything bulging out. Getting the cover back up was surprisingly easy despite not having any experience with this sort of thing; just get a rather powerful gun-stapler, first stretch & staple the rear of the cover (I left the front on) then the sides. The old folds of the cover help you putting it back exactly as it was, so no real need for professional assistence.

Make sure to put the pad not too far to the front, measure carefully where most of your bum actually rests on the seat most of the time. I was surprised how far back that was, but that may be different for others, esp for those who ride most of their long distances two-up. You could buy the a smaller gelpad to do the rear of the seat as well in that case.

I just had an hour ride and the effect is really positive. All the unsteadiness when using it strapped on top of the seat had gone as well. Because it's sunken into the foam of the seat and quite sticky by nature it doesn't move a bit.
The ultimate test is Monday when I will have a trip from Bristol to Luton (and back) on it.

The gelpad is not cheap (around 40 quid) but it's a heavy quality one and I am quite sure it is more effective than just have a denser type of foam. If I had to do it again, I'd obviously just buy the pad without the strap / bag of the M&P one; have a look on eBay, there are some US traders selling just the pads for around £25.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well then, spent 300 miles / 6 hours in the saddle today (trafic was terrible between Reading and Luton, roadworks with small temporary lanes so difficult to filter). What can I say, the AT will probably never be the best long distance bike comfort-wise (seat-shape and position being too much straight-up) but the gelly solution definitely takes much of the sting out of long trips 8)
So: maybe it's not perfect but it's cheap and I can definitely recommend this solution.

Nevertheless, I will take my Buell Cyclone next time to Luton: far better seat / position, 20% better mpg, needs less space to filter and engine-noise wakes up everybody far in advance :lol: Just wished the engine and -mounts were as bullet proof as the AT :roll:

·
Born again worker bee
208 Posts
Reevie said:
Custom seats of Coventry www.customseats.co.uk

Got mine recovered with gel pads for rider and passeger £250

Send you old and they will turn it round in under a week.

Second vote for Custom Seats......
Also, I haven't tried these guys yet, but they're supposed to add that extra level of comfort...sheep skin rugs at http://www.alaskaleather.com/

Good luck with your travels Mike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts