Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My TA is just approaching 20,000 miles and the service book is a bit sketchy.
Its a 04 plate, 650. I got it with 18,000 miles on it almost a year ago and I'm guessing its time to get the spanners out.
The oil is still cleanish, but I think ill change it anyway, and I had a look at the easily accessible plugs, and they also look good, if maybe, ever so slightly on the lean side.
So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should change, check, adjust, now its reached 20,000 miles??

I'm prepared to tackle almost any task, as long as I have or can cheaply acquire the right tools.

Any input and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
in my experience....all they really need it oil changes, and maybe air an filter change. if it starts and runs ok, no need to change the plugs

unless the engine is making noises i always leave the valve clearances alone

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
The plugs are always clean on anything even remotely modern so don't worry.

If it was mine, I'd do do a proper, full service including valve clearances, carb balance, check the chokes, air filter, daft not to do the plugs while in there, coolant, oil & filter etc.
Fork oil change and grease up the steering head/swing arm/ suspension linkage bearings would also be on the list too but thats just me.
Check the alternator - wiring loom 3 pin connector for corrosion/signs of overheating too.

Phil

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Oil and filter is always worth doing if you don't know how long its been in, if the two easy plugs were clean and gaps were correct chances are they will all be fine they last far far longer than the service interval. again if you don't know when the valve clearances were checked it would be worthwhile doing it, you can get valve seat recession on any engine with today's crap fuel then you have more trouble when the valve clearances close up,got to say though most people find that they hardly ever change which has been my experience over 28,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats great guys. Thanks for the tips.
I'm wondering if the fork oil might need changing?? even though the bikes only done 20000 miles, it is still 13 years old, so maybe the oil deteriorates?
I'm certainly going to do the brake fluid. The front brake is shocking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts