Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am having trouble locating the idle mixture screws on my carbs. Can anyone help me out pls?

The bike surges when cruising at low speeds in any gear and also misfires when you blip the throttle when gearing down.

Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hotbulb.. Just need to know how to get to them with the carbs fitted to the bike. From the fishe it looks like they screw in at a slightly upwards angle? I will have to check it out again on the bike.

Thanks about the other parts that may require changing. A mechanic with a VTR suggested this may be the problem as he had the same issue on his VTR.. Maybe I should ask him where the screws are?

Nick

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I think the idle screws are as item 4 in this fiche..
- Sale Honda motorcycle spare parts microfiche origin

But unless they've been disturbed, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere initially... air and fuel filters, plugs, air leaks in rubbers between carb and cylinder-head, choke plungers working properly, carb diaphragms
The tickover screw is a big black knob / wheel that sits sticking out under the side of the tank

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
As hotbulb, I'd look elsewhere first. First check fuel pump. Open the top and look at the 'points'. These get worn and are a replacement part. Alternative is to fit a facet (or similar)

I've had similar on my SD01. Never changed mixture in 100k miles. As Jason said, tickover adjuster is on RHS just under tank. This cable can seize up if not used so its worth giving it a twiddle now and again just to keep it free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just goping for the less expensive option to begin with as this was recommended by a mmechanic with a VTR 1000

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I finally found the carby mixture screws. They are difficult to see but best viewed from the right hand side of the bike with the fuel tank removed.
You need a flexible, right angle head screw driver to adjust them. Wind them all the way in, then approx 2 turns out. Mine were about 2 1/2 turns out and now runs like a dream!
It also seems to have a bit more torque at 3000rpm due to the extra fuel / less air....

Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts