Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again all, thanks for your help in choosing the right bike but can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a 2001 Varadero with 6 gears, there is one on ebay but i thought the 6 gears was 2004 onwards,sorry to be a pain but will buy the beers when i join a meet (as soon as I get me a Vara:)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
According to the info 6th gear was not introduced until the 2003 model, together with fuel injection.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a 2001 and it has 5 gears, nowt wrong with that....:thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Richie,

Doh not sure what iv'e done bought it for £2270, going to pick it up tomorrow! fingers crossed seller seemed ok on phone, will let you know.
Hoping to be out with she who must be obeyed soon. Are they as good as people say?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
the carbed version is smoother, but def only 5 gears. prob simply a misprint in the ad, either the year or the gears. i would ask a few questions when you go see it to make sure he knows something about it. if he cant answer a few basic questions i would PDI it just in case. my paranoid nature again sorry, listen to the voices, they really are out to get you.

the varadero has only had two body mods and one major mech mod in its whole life, look at pics in folks member galleries. the instant easy way to tell is by first looking at the front end, if its got the screen with screws its a >'04 carbed five speed, if its got the adjustable screen with two rubber strips then its a '04> with Fi and six gears, if its got the faired in rear indicators and narrow luggage rack its a '07>. there are differences between the ABS and non models but thats basically it.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Check the VIN on the frame, three letters followed by 01 - 08 is the year of manufacture, the remaining numbers are the number in the production run.
Example ABC02000054 ABC is place of assembly, 02 is the year and 54 is the 54th bike made with these specifications.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hello again all, thanks for your help in choosing the right bike but can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a 2001 Varadero with 6 gears, there is one on ebay but i thought the 6 gears was 2004 onwards,sorry to be a pain but will buy the beers when i join a meet (as soon as I get me a Vara:)

What difference does 5 or 6 gears make the gearbox ratio's will be adjust to compenste for best road performance and the gearing to suit

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
What difference does 5 or 6 gears make the gearbox ratio's will be adjust to compenste for best road performance and the gearing to suit
there is a difference, the six is geared higher than the five
>'03 5th= 0.961/1
'03> 6th= 0.853/1
10% higher geared, thats why theres a little better economy on a long run. the sixth gear is more of an overdrive, its quite tall and the bike doesnt want to accelerate very hard in top gear, its virtually unusable in town. the 1-5 ratios are slightly different but if you imagine the 6 speed rides mostly like a 5 speed but on the motorway "goes all the way up to eleven".
1st gear ratio is low and exactly the same for all years, giving it that blat off the line that we all love- it shocks the crap out of most other riders when the big old girl lifts her skirts and goes for it at the traffic light GP

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hello Richie,

Doh not sure what iv'e done bought it for £2270, going to pick it up tomorrow! fingers crossed seller seemed ok on phone, will let you know.
Hoping to be out with she who must be obeyed soon. Are they as good as people say?
A little less than I paid for mine in November, but mine is immaculate and had some useful extras, enjoy it and post up a picture please.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts