Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just picked up my first XR today :thumbup:

The bike started very well on half choke but after 5 minutes of riding I tried to turn the choke off. The bike died as if I had turned it off too early. So I turned the choke back on and rode for another 10 minutes, again I tried to turn the choke off and the same thing happened. The bike will not run at all without half choke. I have and idea the bike has sat for some time before I bought it so hat maybe having an effect.

Any ideas? I plan to clean and check the air filter, plug and carb over the weekend but would love to hear some other opinions, thanks.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sounds like it's running lean- blocked carb or fuel lines, starving the bike of fuel is the most logical explanation, especially if it had been sitting. Check fuel filter, fuel tank for rust and ick, and carbs for sludge.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
don't shout at me for suggesting this but you are moving the choke lever from half to off and not from half to full choke arn't you?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As in 3 o/c is choke full on, 4 o/c is half choke & 6 o/c is choke off.

You said what?? forgive my ignorance, as I look at the choke it seems to have 3 positions, up, middle and down. I assumed that up was off, middle was half and fully down was full choke on. (stands back and waits for laughs)

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
As with many Honda chokes, up is indeed full choke, down is choke off. After a short time with the engine running at full choke (up/3 o/c) move the lever to the halfway position to warm up a bit further before moving off. Once you get a short distance on the road you can move the choke off/6 o/c position.

It's in the owners manual but unfortunately these don't always get passed on to the next owner. The manual is still available from Fowlers Honda p/n 37KCY600 or 00X37-KCY-6000.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, thanks all for the help.

Consider this the first of many stoopid questions :confused2:

·
Registered
180 Posts
If that doesn't work I would say almost certainly that your pilot jet is blocked. If so, remove the float bowl. You should be able to do this by loosening the carb clamps and rotaing the carb slightly to get at the screws. Carefully remove brass jets inside one at a time and clean them out. DON'T use a metal object!!
While you are in there, make sure the valve that lets fuel into the float bowl is not blocked iether by slipping out it's pin and removing float bowl together with valve. Clean it, and the hole it came out from, and the inside of float bowl checking for signs of water and resultant corrosion. Then reassemble floatbowl.
Check fuel flows from the valve with fuel turned on and float lowered, then check fuel turns off when you push float up. If all ok put float bowl back and you should be ok, using fresh fuel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out it was using the choke incorrectly :confused:

In my defence it was a friend who suggested down was on, honest!!!!!

Once again thanks for the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts