Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

would really appreciate your help with my 2004 Honda CB1300
My bike clocks started playing up and stopped working. bike starts all good and all led lights on the clocks work but not the speedo , tacho , digital display and digital clock.Normally when you turn the ignition on , everything lights up and speedo with tacho needles go for a jump and come back . With my clocks needles got stuck half way and none of the digital display works. I checked for battery condition, fuses, connections (visually) and all looks pretty good. I have another lower miles CB1300 same year so connected the clocks to the higher miles bike and all worked fine.I then connected older clocks to the newer cb1300 and everything came up with 1:00AM clock but speedo and tacho where not working.
put everything back to the older CB1300 and suddenly it worked for few angine starts it stopped working again. feels like some loose connection but I disassembled the whole clocks all the way to the circuit board and visually all looks good.
Any suggestions what else I could do, test it to find if clocks had its time or some other issue?
Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Don, I can't answer your question even though I have a CB1300SA myself. However, there is a relatively new CB1300 forum with quite a lot of expertise which may be able to help.

Its address is: CB1300.icyboards.net

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eddie for your reply.

I have searched this one and some other ones before posting here with no luck.

Don

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked my battery with a multimeter. 12.8V at idle and max 14.5V or so with revs high. I read on forums that a faulty speedo/rev sensor that fits under injectors into the engine block just above where the gearbox is) might mess around if broken but don't know how to check this as not easy to access and why my newer bike clock assembly worked fine once connected to the older bike wiring loom at the headlight unit ( black and white connectors). I have also lifted the tank to check if anything unusual there. main earth connection to the frame not rusted or faulty by the looks as other wiring cables there. I also read that sometimes fuses may show continuity but could be something more complicated in terms of resistance etc but i have now knowledge how to check this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have checked my battery with a multimeter. 12.8V at idle and max 14.5V or so with revs high. I read on forums that a faulty speedo/rev sensor that fits under injectors into the engine block just above where the gearbox is) might mess around if broken but don't know how to check this as not easy to access and why my newer bike clock assembly worked fine once connected to the older bike wiring loom at the headlight unit ( black and white connectors). I have also lifted the tank to check if anything unusual there. main earth connection to the frame not rusted or faulty by the looks as other wiring cables there. I also read that sometimes fuses may show continuity but could be something more complicated in terms of resistance etc but i have now knowledge how to check this.
Hi Don,
May I please ask if you have worked this out? My CB has just started doing exactly what you describe.
Thanks and regards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's the instruments cluster itself, don't even bother looking into the rest of the electrical system of the bike. There are companies which fix clusters in the UK, although I decided to ship mine to a company in Germany.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's the instruments cluster itself, don't even bother looking into the rest of the electrical system of the bike. There are companies which fix clusters in the UK, although I decided to ship mine to a company in Germany.
Thanks did yours do the same, behave erratic, all the lights on then off the needles all over the place etc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. You can search on youtube for a video titled: "CB1300s clock sweep fault". This is exactly what it was doing. I found it much relieving that it was the instruments cluster, than some obscure wiring issue somewhere else on the bike. No garage would have bothered to find it if that were the case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts