Honda XRV Forum banner
3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Notmybike 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, newbie to this forum and i come here seeking some help.
We have a customers bike here in our shop that came in with a failed big end bearing on the rear cylinder.
After rebuilding the engine, we are faced with the cause of the initial failure (that we didn't know about earlier).
The bike started up nicely first go and ran perfectly for 5-10 minutes.
Then the rear cylinder stopped firing and hasn't worked since then.
We have checked that everything is as it should be and are left with only option, the ICM.
Has anyone here had experience with an ICM failing?
The online manual doesn't seem to have any way of testing the box and we need to try before ordering one.
Any help will be appreciated!
Cheers, Pete.

#2 · (Edited)
I've never heard of a cdi unit failing on a 650 - it's certainly not an 'issue'.
Engine failures are rare too.
Now, as the HISS imobiliser is part of the cdi, it's not a case of just filling a replacement cdi...
I'm not sure if it is at all possible even with proper Honda equipment?
A now cdi from Honda, I believe comes with new keys & lockset, with the engine rebuild cost would probably exceed the bikes value.

I stand to be corrected with the cdi/HISS details, maybe have a word with the mechs at a Honda dealership?

Presumably you've checked for spark/fuel/compression, charge volts etc?

Keep us informed to progress & findings :)

Phil

#3 ·
I think a late (1999 ish) 600 ICM MAY be fitted to a 650. The 600 does not have HISS but it does have throttle sensor. The wiring and plugging needs to be sorted and HISS will not be available.
I have not actually done it myself but I did a but of research a few years ago when I was thinking of getting a 650 with a duff ICM, did not bother in the end.
Not sure if coils and pulse pickups are compatible 650 to 600 systems, did not get that far.
I think IgnTech Electronic for motorbikes - IgniTech P?elou? did an ICM for the 600 that could be adapted to the 650 as above.

#5 · (Edited)
Sorry for the late reply, i seem to have forgotten about posting here.
We eventually tracked the problem down to the connector (on the wiring loom side) to the ICM itself. A lot of the female pins in the connector were 'stretched' open and weren't clamping down on the ICM's male pins hard enough. This caused symptoms of all kinds of problems that we checked through many times over. They all seemed to give the conclusion that the box itself was broken but after ordering a new one, we twigged that the original was ok. The strange part is that checked EVERYTHING during assembly and even cleaned the ICM pins and put di-electric grease on the connector. The female pins all looked to be the right size and the connection was firm and secure to the box. However, it turned out to be the sole cause of the bikes problems. The wire going to the rear coil had such a bad connection to the box that the rear cylinder probably hadn't been firing for some time. Hence the big end failure out back, at least that is the only explanation we have for all of this: http://imgur.com/a/ANcLC

#7 ·
The owner won't be getting charged for ICM and we are otherwise doing this job mostly for the cost of parts. I always thought that this project would end up costing more than the bikes worth and it has. We just feel bad for the owner who seems to have been fooled into buying a lemon. We gave him plenty of time to think about what he wanted to do with the bike after the big end failure was diagnosed. Even after getting the quote for the rebuild he was still keen to go ahead, for some reason. It isn't a mint example and had other problems as well but i guess love really is blind!

#11 ·
It isn't a mint example and had other problems as well but i guess love really is blind!

love really is blind my own model isn't as tidy as when I got her 12 years ago . she's after getting a lot louder she burns a drop of oil and backfires after I ride her hard but im mad about her and I will keep on to her besides if I got rid of her I would have to cook my own dinner :lol:

#10 · (Edited)
Well, a fellow from the Honda importer came over with a surplus ignition (for programming ICM's) and key which we were going to use for testing purposes. As it turns out, we didn't need to use the new box anyway because the old one was fine. The poor connection to the box just made it look like it was gone. I must say that this project caused all kinds of head scratching because so many new problems kept coming up. Just goes to show that you can't get complacent with the basics!
Edit: more detail

#12 ·
There it is, ready to rock and roll. I must say that particular model is quite erm.... (how to say this politely) annoying to work on. As an adventure bike, i wouldn't like to have to work on one outside of a workshop. It is pretty quirky indeed!
As far as the HISS goes, apparently it is possible to install a new ICM to an existing key and ignition. I'm not fully down with the method of getting it done but the Honda tech said it wasn't very hard to do. Before this bike, i haven't to deal with immobiliser ans ignition module problems on a Honda. Even though the problems turned out not to be due to those parts, it was good practice!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.