Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I wish I'd found this website sooner, what a wealth of information!

Having had a Varadero 125 for the past 5 months to see if I enjoyed two wheel transport, I've put a deposit down on a 2008 Transalp with only 50 miles on it, due to pick it up on Saturday and have conflicting advice from 3 separate Honda dealers.

It's been stored for 2 years covered in a garage and doesn't appear to have any corrision whatsoever which may indicate that it was a dry garage?

As I understand it Honda ship them with a mineral based oil to run the engine in for the first 600 miles.

Dealer 1

Leave the oil in and run it for 600 miles, then change it for the recommended Honda synthetic oil. Honda use a particular oil with a decent shelf life as often bikes are sat in transit/dealer show rooms for long periods of time so oil will be fine.

Dealer 2

Change the oil immediately for a new 10W-40 mineral based oil but leave the original oil filter in place, run it for 600 miles then change it again. Under no circumstances use any synthetic oil for the first 600 miles as it lubricates too well and will not have the desired effect.

Dealer 3

Change it for Honda recommended semi-synthetic immediately.

Aside from oil, is there any real benefit in changing coolant/brake fluid?

Are there any other points to look for?

Seems like a steal at £4650 but wondering whether it will need lots of work due to being sat which neagtes the seemingly appealing price tag?

In the tech data section above, the maintenance schedule is for the 600/650 TA; does it also apply directly to the 700TA?

Thanks for reading my post :thumbright:

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I'd go with dealer 2's advice.

Does the bike run ok, the petrol has probably gone off, perhaps gumming up the carbs/tank/fuel tap.

Check out the recent post "Transalp stored for 10 years......"

Must admit don't know wether £4650 is a 'steal' for a 2 yr old bike tho.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I'm with pig ugly on this one. An extra oil change can't do any harm.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Change the oil, it never does any harm, Also change the Brake fluid.
Brake fluid is Hydroscopic and absorbs Moisture over time.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
I'm not sure if this will relate to the transalp, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was an important reason why you used a particular grade of mineral oil during the run in period (perhaps it's just to speed it up but I have a feeling it had something to do with seals or bedding in or something along those lines too).

Maybe dealer 1's advice might be right (or if you do change it, change it for the same type of oil that's already in there).

Don't take that as gospel though because I'm not completely sure and may be wrong. Was just something I vaguely remember reading about when I first got my 125 ages ago.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Cross you fingers that it hasn't been stored with fuel in it, particularly in the carbs.

I'd go with dealer 2, and put in some fresh mineral oil and a new filter (although the one on there will probably be fine, but for the sake of £5 I'd change it)

I would definitely replace the coolant, as engines do corrode internally.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic, so will absorb moisture, however if it's been in a dry environment you may be OK. Replace if in doubt.

Check the tyres over. Old rubber gets hard, which is not the best thing to have for leaning a bike into a wet corner!!

The fuel is the biggest worry in my opinion, then the oil and filter, and possibly the battery may be shagged.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts