Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day fianlly arrived.

Yesterday I collected my new bike from Bill Smiths in Bangor, as I got there my old TA was sitting sadly outside, it will not be forgotten.

Quite a cold afternoon got quite chilled as Paul, the salesman went through controls etc, so not much of a ride afterwards. Just went home had a coffee, put a few more layers on and back out, so I have only been in the saddle for 1 hour so far.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did not test ride anything, thinking that all new Adventure style bikes would be fantastic to ride, and the choice would not be any easier, so picked the V-Strom on reviews and spec/price.
For £9250 I got a bike little heavier than the TA but with all the modern features.
Panniers are not huge but are neat and don't stick out too far.
Controls are all light, at low speed easily trickle along feet up, instant umph from the light throttle.
As I left Bill Smiths I went straight onto the A55 and found top speed 70mph whilst running in, now no one goes at 70mph, they either go slower or faster, so I was glad to pull onto smaller roads.
Why did I change?
I was looking for a bike that could bimble about the small lanes here on Anglesey after work in the evenings, go further in Snowdonia and the faster roads for days out, and later this year take me to Italy. The TA was a bit long in the tooth and struggled a bit on faster roads with a pillion and luggage.
The only fault I have found is that it has less steering lock than the TA, so needs more room to turn around, this is a bit of a problem as I turn it around to reverse it into it's home. A few more flags to be laid.

·
Hill Rider
3,086 Posts
You got it for £9250!!!!! :thumbup:

Thats a brilliant price for an aweful lot of machne. Been looking at & reading about the new Strom for some time. Was seriously thinking of test riding one, but the little voices inside my wallet kept putting me off :D ;)

Please let us know your thoughts about your new ride, once the miles have built up a bit and the SSS (shinny bike syndrome) has worn off a little :D

Steve T

:cool:

PS - has he got any more at that price :rolleyes: :thumbup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
You can get the bike cheaper, there are even some grey imports about for £7500, but this was my local dealer, I did go for the 50/50 deal also, so I paid half, and will pay the other half in 2 years interest free.
I just quoted the prices of UK official imports with the adventure kit of £9000 available at several different dealers, and he came down to £9250.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
just out of curiosity I priced a 2015 v-strom 1000 hear in Ireland I taught it would be trough the roof with our high import duty on new vehicles and all but there is an add on donedeal.ie and for the month of march there is a special offer on 2015 v-strom 1000 13,950 euro that works out @ £9930 . but that's for a bare bike with no extras . still im kinda surprised I taught it would be a lot more . the adventure accessory kit to go with the bike is 2600 euro but will be heavily discounted when bought with the bike :toothy9: just looked at another add the bike and all the extras are thrown in and fitted but I be thinking its a 2014 model maybe ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Topbox fitted, vstrom requires a specific Givi fitting kit which costs around £95, Topbox around £215, got the pair from Italy for £233, took one week to arrive.

·
Captain Slow is my hero
43 Posts
Nice bike and top colour IMHO. Having done become thing similar to you, gone from alp to 1000 strom albeit the k6gt model, I can only applaud your choice.
Might be tempted by the versys or the new Africa twin next though !

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just come back from a trip to Italy, bike was faultless, however if the New AT was available when I bought the V-strom I would have been happy to stay with Honda.

·
Captain Slow is my hero
43 Posts
Good to hear! Loved my alp and loved my bandit1250 when I had that.
Always considered the big Strom to be a good blend of the two.
Only just got my k6 but so far so good, missing the abs on the bike though,could have got a wee Strom with it but wanted the 1000 engine.
How far down in Italy did you get?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hired a cottage in Tuscany at Coreglia Antelminelli which is near Lucca, 1st time for a trip of this kind, my wife flew into Pisa, then trains buses and lift from cottage owner. I met her at the cottage, we then used the bike for transport for two weeks, then returned separately, about 1200 miles each way split 3days down, 3 days back. Trip report to come.

·
Hill Rider
3,086 Posts
Well, over 2 months ago I went and got me a 1k Strom and have covered over 2.5k miles on it already (did over 600 miles over the weekend I got it via the NC500 :D)

Traded in a couple of machines against a '64 plated machine that had most of the useful stuff already fitted. Since fitted a centre stand, TT racks and panniers, Givi top box plus loads of other stuff.

Will fire up some write ups soon enough :thumbup:

Steve T

·
Hill Rider
3,086 Posts
Well, a little over 1 years ownership and nearly 10k miles added to the bikes odometer reading and I have to say that this 1k Strom is addictive - I've put more miles on it than my F8GS in the last year and a bit.

Here are a few from todays wanderings . . . . .

Steve T

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I get out plenty as in leave the house and go for very long rides all day sometimes mostly in the summer best time really dry roads bright till half 10 . I see tons of bikes come against me but I don't go to any kind of bike gatherings or anything where bikes are stationary I just ride . anyway enough about my exciting adventures . it was only earlier this year that I saw the new shape v strom 1000 like this for the first time in the metal and they look way better stood beside them I seen a 2007 too fine looking bike too bigger and bulkier it would be a toss up between the 2007 strom and a varadero 1000 fi abs I think have to ride both back to back . I have never even seen a crosstourer parked up that's the bike I really fancy above all else I may have met one on the road and I only seen one Africa twin 1000 come against me tidy looking little thing I thought it looked like a transalp . that I can recall I try to keep out of the towns and city;s I prefer the open road so I don't see much bikes in the metal . I stopped to talk to a german couple on ktm 1190 adventures along the coast of clare great looking bikes I have to say but if I had the beans I wouldn't chance one . the language barrier was tough going lovely people . the man looked like he ate chris rea kinda looked like him but a giant the woman was quite tall too so well able for the bike . I went on a bit of a rant there nothing new there either :D

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
The bike's getting plenty of use then Steve it sounds like you are still enjoying it too, 1 year - is this some kind of record?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Hill Rider
3,086 Posts
. . . . . . it sounds like you are still enjoying it too . . . .
Still enjoying it loads thanks Phil :blob5:

. . . . 1 year - is this some kind of record?
Now then, now then, now then, no need for that :thumbup: . . . . . . . . but actually it's not great a record. The last @ was garaged with me for 5 years, my last 600 Fazer spent 6 years under my arse as well :D

But I'm still in the groove - the VFR750 left the garage last weekend, so I am again without a Honda in the garage ;)

Plenty of time to remedy that . . . . the winter months see loads of people shifting their old machines out for new ones. :thumbup:

Steve T

1 - 18 of 18 Posts