Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm trying to sort the electrics out on my recently acquired 79 plate 250s, mainly the lights and switches. On opening up the right hand switch most of it fell out onto the floor and then when opening up the headlight it was just as bad with so mutch black tape and spliced in connections to be true.

Anyway I now have it running on a capacitor and have a replacement right hand switch to fit to get the lights on line, does anyone have a simplified lighting diagram? Or can anyone tell me what the White/grey wire from the alternator does, is this the live feed to the switch?. Any help please.

Cheers Mal

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, that will take 6v to the lights on/off switch on the r/h bar switch. Its probably a grubby white colour...
Then from there to the hi/lo switch on the l/h bar switch, probably a black/white wire. If your bike has come in from somewhere where the lights have to be on all the time e.g. France or Germany you may find the lights on/off switch bypassed i.e. the wires taped together.
The rear light is also served from this circuit, probably from the pilot light in the headlamp.

Then from there one wire to the Hi beam element (probably a black wire) and another wire to the Low beam element, probably a white wire.

I say "probably" a lot because although Honda were consistent with wiring there are sometimes slight differences.

Like this you have basic lights without a battery.

Another thing to bear in mind is the lighting circuit is it is probably unregulated so it is important to have all the right bulbs in place when you switch on the lights, that is
  • Headlamp
  • Pilot lamp
  • Tail lamp
All other lights such as speedo, rear brake light, neutral light etc are powered by the battery or in your case the capacitor so you will only have those with the engine running.
Personally I would keep the battery as it is so small and light.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that will take 6v to the lights on/off switch on the r/h bar switch. Its probably a grubby white colour...
Then from there to the hi/lo switch on the l/h bar switch, probably a black/white wire. If your bike has come in from somewhere where the lights have to be on all the time e.g. France or Germany you may find the lights on/off switch bypassed i.e. the wires taped together.
The rear light is also served from this circuit, probably from the pilot light in the headlamp.

Then from there one wire to the Hi beam element (probably a black wire) and another wire to the Low beam element, probably a white wire.

I say "probably" a lot because although Honda were consistent with wiring there are sometimes slight differences.

Like this you have basic lights without a battery.

Another thing to bear in mind is the lighting circuit is it is probably unregulated so it is important to have all the right bulbs in place when you switch on the lights, that is
  • Headlamp
  • Pilot lamp
  • Tail lamp
All other lights such as speedo, rear brake light, neutral light etc are powered by the battery or in your case the capacitor so you will only have those with the engine running.
Personally I would keep the battery as it is so small and light.

Hope that helps!
Cheers thanks for the reply, that helps. The harness was in a pretty bad state and lots of wires taped together. I've the pilot, stop and tail to wire in and I should be sorted

Mal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts