1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
362 Posts
:thumbup: from me too for these lights and Komy.
I've had them fitted to both of my bikes for a year or so now and am well pleased with them.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Are they easy to wire in?
The mountings look great.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Are they easy to wire in?
The mountings look great.
Yep- simple as peas.
LEDs only draw a tiny current so no need for relays & the like.
Mine are just tapped into the pilot light circuit via an illuminated switch.
Mounts are great but I swapped the odd standard screws for stainless allen bolts. A bit of a tight fit onto crashbars (mine are Givi- don't know if all are same diameter?)- just room for a single strip of tape to protect the paint.

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have some standard halfords spot lights on the vara. Would I be able to just swap them and use the same wiring...?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have some standard halfords spot lights on the vara. Would I be able to just swap them and use the same wiring...?
You should be fine (assuming the existing ones are wired properly).
These will pull far less current than normal halogen lamps.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
I got me a pair of the lights off Ebay, only sells the 12 watt ones now it seems. Fitted them to the Wee Wolfcub the other day and they seem to be just the job for what I want. Even though they are low power I wired them through a switch and a fused relay with the power to trigger the relay taken from the acccessory socket on the bike. The power for the lights comes direct from the battery, can't be too careful with BMW canbus, but everything seems to work OK.:D

Pictures taken this morning on my way out for a run.

The light shows up well so should help myopic drivers to see me better. Lights are fitted to a nice alloy bar made by Rugged Roads. :thumbright:

Andy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all.
Im very aware this is an old thread but as others look here I thought this an ideal place to comment.
I brought these lights last week and got them 5 days later and was very impressed with the speed of the delivery.
I hooked them up and took them outside at night to check them out.
Mine are the 900 lumen ones and with my eyes closed I can feel the heat from them (not a good idea with eyes open)
When I pointed them up they gave me two tubes of light into the sky there are very very bright.
So that's the good bits.

everything else in the box is junk.
Instructions: no chance
Switch: open back and as waterproof as a pair of talking trainers comes with ends that don't connect to anything clearly from something else.
Connecters: pretty ok and look waterproof however very bulky plus why do you need connectors as they come with no other leads
Battery leads: not supplied
Inline fuse: not supplied
so in short its half a kit and im not sure what the connectors are for unless its so you can kill the power when the switch fails and the wires start melting as the lack of fuse isn't great.

So for anyone who has installed them how did you do it because there considerations I have
firstly mounting do you mount them dipped and use them all the time or do you prefer them high and use them countryside and when you need warn someone. im not sure but I assume dipped would be of more use however I am sick of people using high beams behind me and it would be nice to show them how it feels on the other hand being noticed all the time would be good

secondly how did you wire them in.
straight to the battery with a inline fuse and switch or somehow from a connection elsewhere like the igniton
if I was installing them dipped I was thinking a waterproof round switch on the fairing near to the battery
any thoughts would be great

1 - 16 of 16 Posts