Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to rewire/route the electrics too this block as its a known trouble spot.
Does the main battery feed also supply the spade connectors in this block in some way? I thought I saw a thread related too this subject on here at some point.
Lecy stuff is not my bag and need a idiots guide (pictures of how). Anybody done this with visuals?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys. Its not really the block that I feel I have a problem with. Its the excess wire that tends too 'kink' and generally cause stowage problems. I think primarily,
I was looking to see if there was a way of wiring this via a fusebox and eliminate the block all together but the CD shows there being a switch of some sort included in the circuit
so I suppose taking the block out totally is not really feasible.
I recently stripped the old insulation tape off the wire leading too the block and straightened it out. Since then, the slight misfire I've had for months and not been able to find seems to be affecting the bike less now, so it might have been all this bends and kinks in the wires leading too the spade connectors causing the problem.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You can't remove the starter relay, but you could relocate it. There's no reason why you can rewire the b+ feed via a 30A fuse but I'm not sure why you would want to.

The relay has a hard job, switching a hundred amps or more at least one every ride. It's something you can replace cheaply enough.
You can get a 200amp relay with screw connection for 25gbp from vehicle wiring products.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts

I do not have personal experience of that item, but I must add that I've bought fuel pumps and other electrical bike parts from China in the past and they were fine.

Many, if not all, OE automotive electrical components are made in China or neighbouring Far East countries nowadays, and the myth of cheap and Chinese doesn't always apply now. Sure there is crap out there, but a lot of it is good.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Of course, Chinese make premium products for most western companies. For the price I will probably buy one for spare, just thought maybe someone could confirm if it was crap or not.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Of course, Chinese make premium products for most western companies. For the price I will probably buy one for spare, just thought maybe someone could confirm if it was crap or not.
I have one for a spare. Price is right and shipping is either free or very reasonable.

While your at it you may want a spare cable/connector.

Starter Relay Solenoid Plug FIT Honda VF 500 700 1000 750 VT 600 700 TRX200 AY | eBay

or both...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Starter-Rela...94cd045&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=5&sd=271813726689

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

·
Registered
552 Posts
Bit the bullet XD and already ordered the solenoid (round one for RD04). I grease all my connectors with silicone grease and I think they are OK but maybe I'll order one also.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its a special electrical silicone grease which stops the build up of corrosion and acts as a water resistant surface for connections. Its often used to pack into switch bodies too minimise the impact of water ingress.
That's my reading on the stuff anyway. Got several tubes here. Always handy.

·
Registered
472 Posts
On the grease, I think it's a dielectric grease you use, its not for the purpose you are putting it, but rather for use where seals need lubricating with something electrically insulating. You see it used on HT leads.

Because it's an insulator its not great on some connectors which don't mate with force. It also has no penetration so won't get up the cable where corrosion starts.

It's unlikely to cause you problems but a contact lube will serve you better.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Can you recommend some product?
Never thought about it but now hat you mention it, it is usually the begining of the cable (under insulation) that corodes

·
Registered
472 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts