Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fancy a few trails around the Forest of Bowland / Yorkshire Dales next Friday. Heading to do the Salter Fell then into the Dales. Heard the Fell is easy, but no idea what else we will run into.

Or....if theres anyone who knows the area that wants to lead. Im in the process of marking a map up, but nothing beats local knowledge.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Maybe, if suitable for a novice on TA, just fitted crash bars and new Tourance on the back. My KTM 400 is in bits.

I'm used to riding along the Runcorn express way from Daresbury to the Bridge, feels at times like you're off road but better with the new rear tyre.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe, if suitable for a novice on TA, just fitted crash bars and new Tourance on the back.
Ive been told the Salter Fell is an easy, hard packed trail. But after that I have no idea what the trails will be like. Even the easiest of trail isnt easy at this time of year as proved by last weekends falls in the mud and snow. Id expect the worst on unknown trails to be honest. Youre welcome to come and try but I dont think a tourance is suitable, maybe on the Salter Fell but the moment you hit mud you may struggle. All depends on your experience as well. You say you have a KTM 400 so should be used to riding off road? I'll let you decide.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rough plan.

Meet North bound M6 Lancaster Services (between J32 and 33).....or if you are coming from the North meet at J34. Meet 0915 (services) or 0930 J34. (Im coming from Runcorn and will be leaving mine at 8, its about 55 miles to services)

Then we will head to J34 M6 and take the A683 for about 15 miles (all tarmac unfortunately) (AA routeplanner says 30 mins?). Theres about 5 or 6 trails I will work into a loop here. No idea what they are like.

Then we will head South for a few miles and pick up the Salter Fell trail which will take us to Slaidburn.
Its then a 15 miles road trip to Settle (AA says 35 mins). There are more trails here that I will work into a loop.

Then its a blast back to J34 of the M6, or any other way people want to go home. Depends on time for me as if its getting on I will motorway it back.

PM your phone numbers if interested.

Mike (Beddowsm)

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Road tyres are ok for the dales (well most of it anyway), lot of road work to link trails up.
Thanks Len. Is that long byway south west of Mallam Tarn TRO. Trailwise states it is, but the update states it was used recently? Wondererd if you (or anyone) knows. Wont waste time if its definately TRO.

·
2,701 Posts
Thanks Len. Is that long byway south west of Mallam Tarn TRO. Trailwise states it is, but the update states it was used recently? Wondererd if you (or anyone) knows. Wont waste time if its definately TRO.
It was TRO'd then the TRF won a challenge in high court and got it opened as the parks authority had not followed correct procedure to close it. . . . . . soon as it was opened they used the correct procedure to close it again.:(

The one that runs from just west of Litton heading west bypassing Halton Gill is slippy as feck, so no road tyres going up hill (east to west) should be ok going opposite way though.

Just make sure you are legal as the ramblers lot up there are keen to report reg numbers to the police.

ps
Have you joined the TRF yet. ? . . . . it go's up to £45 in january but if you join now its still £40, . . . you can join on line. http://www.trf.org.uk/membership/join-online.html

Anyone who wants to keep trails open should throw a subsciption in the pot to help with legal challenges.

Example of what our subscriptions can do. :thumbleft:
Old year resolution - ADVrider

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Len.

ps
Have you joined the TRF yet. ? . . . . it go's up to £45 in january but if you join now its still £40, . . . you can join on line. Join Online

Anyone who wants to keep trails open should throw a subsciption in the pot to help with legal challenges.
No....but this was just the kick up the backside that I needed as a reminder to join. So Yes now. :thumbup:

·
Geriatric Teenager
101 Posts
Mike,
Never done one of these trails before, but fancy a go, as I hope to do some Alps trails this summer. I suspect I would fall off more than most unless the trails were "easy". As a measure of past experience, the worst I've done has been the Galloway Forest trail.
Is what you're proposing anything similar?
Merry Christmas
Paul
Transalp

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike,
Never done one of these trails before, but fancy a go, as I hope to do some Alps trails this summer. I suspect I would fall off more than most unless the trails were "easy". As a measure of past experience, the worst I've done has been the Galloway Forest trail.
Is what you're proposing anything similar?
Merry Christmas
Paul
Transalp
Hello Paul,

Ive never done these trails but Im sure they will be a bit different from Galloway (been there twice). But you wont know until you try. Seems to be a few from ABR coming who are beginners. Check out that thread I posted about Minkeys pics.....lots more info on this ride there.

But, come along and see how you get on. Worst case scenario, do the first trail and if you struggle, call it a day at the end. Got to try esspecially if you have a trip planned!

Mike

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meeting place changed..... heres the post from ABR...

Happy to go with this Steve, means less on the motorway which is always good!.

So meet J31 Tickled Trout services at 0900ish (too early, just let me know). I'l still leave at 8 and will get there in plenty of time.

Then do the Salter Fell South North. Then tie in the 5 or 6 trails to the North of Salter, then a bit of road work to pick up the rest of the trails around Settle? Means finish will be around Settle.....I'll then ride South to pick up motorway somewhere for short hop back home.

Will get a GPX done in the next day or so....once Xmas perios calms down.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If youre coming, can you PM me your numbers please so I can confirm all is OK on Thursday. So far, 2 maybes from here, and 8 from ABR...........(4 confirmed). A mix of bikes (250's - 950's) and abilities (never been offroad - experienced).

2 meeting places, 0820 J23 M6 Shell garage, 0900 Tickled Trout services, J31 M6.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts