Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has now got his much coveted Honda 250 Hornet. I have to say I am impressed by it - build quality, looks, sounds all pretty damm good.

Anyway the dealer wanted near enough £200 to derestrict it. I thought big con, so took it without the restrictor after my son came up with the wheeze of taking it to a Dyno centre to first confirm the power and then letting them determine the best way to restrict it back to 33bhp rather than just stuffing some very very expensive washers in the inlet manifold and the exhaust.

At the dyno centre yesterday they confirmed 28bhp at the back wheel, so no need to restrict. Now, this bike, according to my son easily does 100mph, so 28bhp at the wheel is probably somewhere nearer 40 at the crank. Anyone know what the rules are for restricted licence, where bhp measured etc.

I know its probably just a google search away,but I am sure someone here knows the answer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
the restricted licence does not specify where the hp is measured only that it is 33 bhp.

more than likely it is wat the engine produces rather than rwbhp

not 100% on this tho, but gl finding out the info :)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quizzed my son a bit more on this. He says the Dyno guy said police often bring bikes in to check and just go on RWBHP as measured by the dyno. So looking OK to me, in fact I think he's tempted to get it tuned up for the missing 5bhp he can have :monkey:

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
My son is running a 400 bandit and got the 33 kit secondhand of of fleabay, fitted it himself and asked the manafacturers for a certificate not available on its own has to bought as a kit through dealer and fitted at a cost of around £200 as you say, phoned local old bill they told me there was no certificate needed as such as far as they could see, so at the end of the day it seems a very loose kinda law as you say go to a dyno, run it up get a certificate and that should suffice, makes me think i could get the SLR a 33 brake ticket i suppose
merv
merv

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
just a thought from my son michael, i presume this bike was secondhand, maybe it already was fitted with a restrictor kit that the dealer did not know about
merv

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just a thought from my son michael, i presume this bike was secondhand, maybe it already was fitted with a restrictor kit that the dealer did not know about
merv
That was my first thought, but dyno guy didn't think there was a kit due to the way the bike performed and made the power. I bow to their vastly superior knoweldge on these matters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts