Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the chances of getting caught unless you get caught doing 100mph+ on motorway?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Slightest bump and the police may pull the bike apart and find it's not restricted, then your insurance would be void and you could be open to legal action against you.
I've seen this happen locally with an SV650.
Sorry mate, don't mean to be a spoilsport but it's a big risk, instant ban, no insurance company will touch you for yrs and what price someone's life?
Your choice. :(

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So small numberplate, loud exhaust, dark visor is a bump?
Or will you have to have an accident for them to do anything?

·
UP THE WORKER COMRADE
294 Posts
As AfricaJim puts it it's not just about you. I rode on a restricted license for two years, that was the deal when I choose to take that specific test, my choice.

I suspect the main reason riders try to aviod using restrictors is the rip off prices of F1 and fair point. Speed and performance wise if your a normal responsible rider you'll hardly notice any difference.

BUT have a bump and once the insurance company see your on a restricted licence they will make sure your bike is restricted, if it is'nt your in deep shight. If your bump has caused injury to a third party your both in deep shight. Always remember shight does happen especially when you least expect it.

Ride legal, it's the cheaper option.

UP THE WORKERS!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
"So small numberplate, loud exhaust, dark visor is a bump?
Or will you have to have an accident for them to do anything? "

Do you think they're a bump?
That's not the point, just takes you to be a bit shirty with an officer of the law and there's no telling what steps he may take. A small number plate and a bad attitude could lead to the said officer to ask you to take your bike to a local dealer to be checked. Your choice as said.

Run into any of my family and your insurance made void due to no restriction I'd suggest you run,,,, fast,,, very fast. :(

·
Registered
779 Posts
You don't have to pay FI prices. I got a full, legitimate restrictor kit off ebay for a 650 alp from germany for £100 and fitted it myself. The certificate is in german- much lol if I ever get pulled over :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
As a new & I assume a young rider- statistically, you are in a greater risk group. Therefore you will be under greater scrutiny from both the Insurance companies & the Police...and then there are other road users & road conditions that will be up against you. The odds are against you. The restriction is there for a reason- not just to protect other road users, but also yourself. Do it correctly and don't fall into bad habits so early on.

I believe this restriction should be placed upon new drivers of vehicles(cars)- it is'nt and you see countless reports of young/inexperienced drivers losing control- imagine the consequences on an already "dangerous" vehicle, such as a bike

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
ive never heard of 33bhp bikes being checked for restrictors by the police, but loads of 125s. if you have an 'off' the insurance assessor might well know what hes looking at though.
but;
NEVER SAY NEVER!

thats not to say 1st time out you dont get pulled, and dont forget your riding without the correct license, on a bike that is not insured. in the current bike hating times they'll nail your nuts to a wall, FFS dont go anywhere near north wales and brunstrom's traffic taliban!!!

·
Austin's Son
190 Posts
I guy of another forum came off his Bandit 400 (quite badly was in hospital for ages). Bike totally fubared yet the police still checked to see if it was restricted by running it off the front sprocket.

In my view, I don't want to chance the odds and lose my license. I have had great fun with 33bhp... just pick the right bike.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Please don't do it, Vincent. It's not a matter of whether or not you get caught but whether you hit anyone. I was knocked off by a pedestrian (I was doing all of 3mph) who stepped from behind a bus, and after I'd dropped it the bike ran into the back of a bog-standard VW Golf. That cost my insurers over two grand. Have you got that sort of money if you get sued? The loser has six years in which to sue you... And don't say it couldn't happen to you: the only way I could have avoided that off would be for me not to have been there.

And if you hit a pedestrian, have you got the tens of thousands they will need to sort their lives out? Insurers have. If you are uninsured (which is what you are proposing) the MIB will pay out something, but that's not really the point, is it?

And finally, if you are still bothered about the comparatively trivial matter of whether you get caught, almost all police cars have instant access to vehicle details these days. I was stopped because a squad car idly put in my details when it was behind me early one morning. Everything was actually in order, but my insurers hadn't updated DVLA of a recent change...

·
Registered
169 Posts
almost all police cars have instant access to vehicle details these days. ...
True but this has nothing to do with restrictions. The police have access to a database of tax, MOT and insurance details only. Nothing tells them a bike is restricted or unrestricted other than taking the bike off you and dynoing it - and they'll only do that if you look or act suspiciously or stupid.

It's entirely down to you if you run a bike illegally unrestricted, but it's been said many times now. The chances of being caught are extremely small, worst case is if you buy a fast sports bike and ride stupidly breaking speed limits everywhere you go - of course you'll be pulled and get checked out!
Hitting pedestrians is rare and 90% of the time it's because they stepped out into the road without looking, meaning it's not your fault anyway and so there would be no need for anyone to check your bike out. Just ride carefully, think ahead and you should be fine.

As for being knocked off by a pedestrian at 3mph, how the hell did you manage that!? - 3mph is slower than walking pace so if anyone walked in to you you'd just put your foot down and balance the bike. Sounds more like you were going too fast and not thinking about the back of a bus (which is where all pedestrians like to jump out from!). Lost control trying to avoid said pedestrian, came off the bike and it carried on into a car. Now that would happen to anyone not using the hazard perception training given to initally get a bike licence...

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
As for being knocked off by a pedestrian at 3mph, how the hell did you manage that!? - 3mph is slower than walking pace so if anyone walked in to you you'd just put your foot down and balance the bike. ...
Unless she was running so hooked your right arm off the handlebars.

Sounds more like you were going too fast and not thinking about the back of a bus (which is where all pedestrians like to jump out from!). Lost control trying to avoid said pedestrian, came off the bike and it carried on into a car. ...
Nope. Both feet on the floor, me standing up, bike going to the floor with only one of my hands on the bars, in gear so nicks the rear wing

Now that would happen to anyone not using the hazard perception training given to initally get a bike licence...
On a dark night, in rain, in standing traffic, you are probably right. It was my fault. But what's your point?

This new rider is asking forum members if he should ride uninsured. I gave an example of where I made a mistake, to indicate how essential it is not to succumb to that temptation.

Are you, beanfeast, trying to suggest he should gamble that he'll never make a mistake? That only tits like me need insurance? That's not what I thought this forum was about.

Ride safe everyone.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Any accident involving a restricted licence holder and our company insurers will request the bike is tested to ensure it is indeed restricted, if not they counter claim and using the video from the buses usually win costs of £5000+
Any other awards. 6 points on licence under 2 years riding Retest.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unless she was running so hooked your right arm off the handlebars.
So one minute you say they 'stepped from behind a bus' then the next minute they're 'running' - maybe you should get your story right before posting and then changing it to suit your reply!

This new rider is asking forum members if he should ride uninsured. I gave an example of where I made a mistake, to indicate how essential it is not to succumb to that temptation.
Wrong, this rider simply asked the forum what the risks are riding unrestricted on a restricted licence, he never indicated he was actually going to do it. Of course we all make mistakes but in your example (unless you change the story again!) it wasn't even your fault therefore no one would be asking if your bike was restricted or not!

Are you, beanfeast, trying to suggest he should gamble that he'll never make a mistake? That only tits like me need insurance? That's not what I thought this forum was about.
Ride safe everyone.

If you read my post properly you will have seen I said 'It's entirely down to you if you run a bike illegally unrestricted...' I am not suggesting he does or doesn't. Just stating my thoughts of how low the risks are of being caught depending on how you ride. I have yet to come across anyone who has actually being stopped and had their bikes taken off them for dynoing by the police - we've all heard of someone who knows someone who knows someone... though. ;)

Not sure what you're trying to prove by calling yourself a 'tit' I certainly didn't, and as for what this forum is about - it's for people with an interest in bikes to ask questions and share experiences and opinions - what do you think this forum is about!? :confused: From what you've written and your font, I'm guessing you think it's about imposing your opinion on others... and loudly!!

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Any accident involving a restricted licence holder and our company insurers will request the bike is tested to ensure it is indeed restricted, if not they counter claim and using the video from the buses usually win costs of £5000+
Any other awards. 6 points on licence under 2 years riding Retest.
there you go see, insurance assessors know all the ins and outs and will do everything they can not to pay out, wouldnt you?

and spare a thought for the other guy, if you kill or cripple yourself its yours and the person who has to wipe arse for the rest of your lifes problem, but what about if you hurt someone else?

·
Hi SuperNintendo Chalmers
248 Posts
Dont do it, insurance companys are poo hot on this, My father inlaw is a senior assesor (sp) and its the 1st thing check for,, this then leads to you being classed as uninsured, and then the police may get involved and before you know it you have lost your licence..

Plus the polce will pull you for any reason these days, spec if your a youngster on a bike and if the police do pull you and your insurance is void they can seize you bike on the spot and poss crush it !!! imop its not worth it,, shurly 33bhp is enough for now !!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Pssssst. There's about 5 moderators in the bushes watching you boys with night vision goggles!!

Please don't get all in a tizzy over a first posting from a new member asking what their chances of being caught for doing something illegal are.

Chill please!

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts