Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Has anyone any experience of fitting one of these?
I would like to lower my revs when touring and wondered what rev reduction people have achieved when touring at 70/80 mph

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I cannot remember the exact numbers but I experimented with a different front and rear sprocket combination. it did mean lower revs at motorway speeds, less vibes, better fuel consumption on those long runs, but overall made no difference as I was never out of second around town. I ditched them after not very long and went back to standard.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Based on my experiences on other bikes...

Adjustment: with a drop of that many teeth (45? to 40) you may have to remove a link or two from the chain... or be content with running the wheel at maximum setting on the adjustment cams.

Geometry: the smaller rear sprocket will obviously have a smaller diameter. Be sure to check that the chain will not be constantly running on the chain guide (at the swingarm pivot).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points. Much appreciated. Keep them coming. Any idea on 'revs saving?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
The shorter chain will put more pressure on the output shaft bearing as the shock travel moves

Personally I wouldn't change it that low

My RD04 came with a 42t rear and I find this is too highly geared throughout the range

It runs at 400-500 revs lower than the standard 45t

ORO on the forum did a similar set up to what you are asking

Just looked at the fact you are in Shrewsbury, I'm sure ORO is down that way too

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Can't you try a 1t larger front with 1 or 2 t smaller rear which will achieve the same without affecting chain length?

sent from my 'phone
This what I did. One extra and I think two off the back. Would not do it again.

Also - the big risk to the output shaft is non OEM front sprocket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have 15\42 sprokets on my rd06 with sm (17) tires , seems fine , i think 14\40 will be same . you can notice some difference of course from what i used to have 14\48 with knoby tires (21 front . 18 rear) , they are good for long trips and hight speed and fuel economy but not that good for tight areas

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have 16/42 on my rd07a, that's ok for touring only, for off-roading not ok, last winter it was to high for ice riding. Next time I change it will b 16/43 for a little lower revs on touring but still able to off-road and ride in the winter on ice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I thought 16 teeth was standard for RD07 front sprockets? To achieve lower revs surely you would need more teeth not fewer teeth on the front? Will a larger (more teeth) sprocket fit in the front housing? Hear what your saying about the 40 teeth rear sprocket though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just found this useful info on jtsprockets site:Full Gear Ratio Chart (pdf)
Teeth 15 16
36 2.40. 2.25
37 2.47 2.31
38 2.53 . 2.38
40 2.67 . 2.50
41 2.73. 2.56
42 2.80. 2.62
43 2.87 2.69
44 2.93 2.75
45 3.00 . 2.81
46 3.07 2.88
47 3.13 . 2.94

Question is how do I relate the ratios to revs to figure out how many revs my twin will ran at when touring at 70/8/mph?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does this make sense to anyone?
Gearing Ratio Revs @ approx 70mph mph 70/ratio %
16 teeth ront + 45 teeth rear sprockets 2.81 5500 70 24.9 220.8 100.0
16 teeth ront + 40 teeth rear sprockets 2.5 4889.5 70 28.0 196.4 89.0
16 teeth ront + 36 teeth rear sprockets 2.25 4400 70 31.1 176.8 80.1

Only actioned quickly on my smartphone but to get the revs down to [email protected] it looks like I need a16 teeth ront + 36 teeth rear sprocket setup...
Thoughts?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Download this Motorcycle Gearing Excel spreadsheet (on rhs of the web page). Steve's GSXR pages

Insert the the AT gear ratios and then you can calculate all the sprocket combos you like.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
2 observations

First

My RD07a is 16/45 and does 5300 at 70mph

My RD04 is 16/42 and does 5000 at 70mph

I only run offroad tyres (these are taller than road biased tyres)

Road biased tyres will run higher revs but not that much so tyres as well as gearing will have an effect

Second

70 mph constant speed is doable on dual carriageways / motorways / autoroutes and peages - you are not touring on these but commuting

A / B / D roads you will be seeing more scenery, have more twisties and not travelling at 70 mph so vibes will not come into it and then you are touring

If travelling at those speeds and bigger roads is your choice you have to question is the AT the right bike to be on in the first place.

I have done some big miles and long days in the saddle on the AT and the bike will do it but you will get the vibes. The Longest Day rides - John'o'Groats to Lands End, 5 capitals in 24 hrs, Lowestoft to Garraun Point and back!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wanted to do reduce the revs when riding as well. As I don't venture off road, I have road tyres, standard front sprocket (output shaft issues) and run a 42 rear from JT sprockets. Happy with the set up for my riding with reduced revs

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi, i run a 17 front with the 45 rear it does 80 mph at 6000. I get the fronts from America off the VT750, It has the rubber buffer on the same as standard. It is the largest you can fit as the gear shaft gets in the way. It also keeps the chain off the swing arm slipper and keeps a standard chain lenth. Hope this helps, Ray

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. Good info. Hear what you are saying Paul. I agree AT is perhaps not really meant for high speed touring. I brought my AT to travel from the UK to The Gambia passing through the Sahara desert, a 4,700 mile ride much of it off road and used it for a year off road travelling throughout the country but my last trip to Switzerland was via those endless flat staight wheat field roads in France, you know, 2-3 mile straight, a 45 bend followed by another 2-3 mile straight follow by......
I rarely go off road these days as Im getting to be an old fit but could never sell the twin. We have been through too much together. She still rides well, no vibe issues. Amazing really as I ve dropped her a few times and see her topple down the road doing somersaults!
Amazed you get a a 36 teeth rear sprocket. I think the 42 sound sensible but still tempted by a 40.
Thank for all your help.

Ps messages Oro Paul to see if he wants to meet up for a ride sometime but your not that far from me either. Let me know when your heading out again or coming down this way and Ill meet you somewhere.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
You can't put a post up on here like that without giving us a ride report and pictures

You should know what we're like by now!!

If I'm down that way I will PM you

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks guys. Good info. Hear what you are saying Paul. I agree AT is perhaps not really meant for high speed touring. I brought my AT to travel from the UK to The Gambia passing through the Sahara desert, a 4,700 mile ride much of it off road and used it for a year off road travelling throughout the country but my last trip to Switzerland was via those endless flat staight wheat field roads in France, you know, 2-3 mile straight, a 45 bend followed by another 2-3 mile straight follow by......
I rarely go off road these days as Im getting to be an old fit but could never sell the twin. We have been through too much together. She still rides well, no vibe issues. Amazing really as I ve dropped her a few times and see her topple down the road doing somersaults!
Amazed you get a a 36 teeth rear sprocket. I think the 42 sound sensible but still tempted by a 40.
Thank for all your help.

Ps messages Oro Paul to see if he wants to meet up for a ride sometime but your not that far from me either. Let me know when your heading out again or coming down this way and Ill meet you somewhere.
40 or 36 rear sprocket....uuuuh the clutch will burn! Really think you will b happy with the 42. I think that is the smallest you can go on the AT.

Good luck :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts