Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought an Africa Twin and have an awful juddering/knocking sound when i'm in 4th gear under acceleration :sad:, no problems in any other gear. I'm guessing (hopefully incorrectly), that I need to get the motor stripped down and 4th gear replaced due to pitting.
I am mechanically minded, but I'm nervous about doing this myself (although will do if the cost of a getting a shop to do it proves too expensive).

Can anyone tell me.

1. If they know of a good cheap capable mechanic in Essex, near to Billericay?

2. If my diagnosis of the problem sounds correct?

3. How much a new 4th gear costs and if I need or should purchase any other gears and parts if I were to carry out this replacment myself (apart from the obvious gaskets etc.).

4. If I'm stipping the motor down to do this, is it worth doing anything else whilst I have the motor out? What would you recommend?

5. Is is cheaper to buy a recon motor? Where can you get them and how much are they?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I suppose you really won't know until you split the motor....it's anybodys guess. As for the rest of the motor such as piston rings, cam chains, clutch and o'hauling the heads etc... it can add up quickly. Don't know the mileage but if it's high it only makes sense to o'haul if you plan on keeping it.
New gears from mr honda will be very exspensive...gauranteed. :rolleyes:

You can buy used gears on ebay...and used motors. :p

GETRIEBE XRV 750 AFRICA-TWIN RD04 SCHALTUNG MOTOR bei eBay.de: Markenspezifische Teile (endet 13.07.10 18:51:58 MESZ)

HONDA XRV750 XRV 750 AFRICA TWIN ENGINE MOTOR +WARRANTY on eBay (end time 19-Jun-10 15:48:58 BST)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I suppose you really won't know until you split the motor....it's anybodys guess. As for the rest of the motor such as piston rings, cam chains, clutch and o'hauling the heads etc... it can add up quickly. Don't know the mileage but if it's high it only makes sense to o'haul if you plan on keeping it.
New gears from mr honda will be very exspensive...gauranteed. :rolleyes:

You can buy used gears on ebay...and used motors. :p

GETRIEBE XRV 750 AFRICA-TWIN RD04 SCHALTUNG MOTOR bei eBay.de: Markenspezifische Teile (endet 13.07.10 18:51:58 MESZ)

HONDA XRV750 XRV 750 AFRICA TWIN ENGINE MOTOR +WARRANTY on eBay (end time 19-Jun-10 15:48:58 BST)
Also if you do go down the rebuild route you should change all the bearings as well as the shells while the engine is split.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
I had a problem with one of my gears and went down the 2nd hand engine route and sold off the parts from my old engine. The new engine is fine and I have made back about 50% of my outlay with some parts still to go. Bit of a gamble but that was the way I went.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts