Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a look and need to be setting off at 5:15 am to get that ferry
..... must remember to buy a couple of Larks for the morning call.

Any tips on Rider's Bum! (can o worms)

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Just had a look and need to be setting off at 5:15 am to get that ferry
..... must remember to buy a couple of Larks for the morning call.

Any tips on Rider's Bum! (can o worms)
by Google maps its (using the routes from the TLD Website)

7 1/2 Hrs (non-motorway) (335Miles)
7 1/4 hrs (motorway route) (329Miles)

Letting google map plot the route its 6 1/2 hours going via cambridge to the A1(M) heading to the M5/M6 then upto M56 then to holyhead (358Miles)
or
Headin upto Sheffield using the A47/A55 is 7hr (340Miles)

you will need to be about 30 mins before the ferry, to get booked on etc.

traffic also is a factor

I would say its more like a 3:30am - 4am start

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
What time is Sun Rise?
The average speed needed to get 360 miles?

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HIya
as it happens I do know the Sunrise and set times :)

19/6/2010, Rise 3:18 , sets 21:08 (in Dingle)

I used Autoroute to calculate the times needed to get up and out but sadly it doesn't account for traffic

Hang on we are on bikes so traffic doesn't effect us :thumbup::rolleyes::toothy10:

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Hang on we are on bikes so traffic doesn't effect us :thumbup::rolleyes::toothy10:

Very true, but i dont thing the ferry company would be happy with 30 bikes turnin up at sailing time, better to early.

I am sure will find the roads get busy near holyhead, the traffic heading for the ferry

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very true, but i dont thing the ferry company would be happy with 30 bikes turnin up at sailing time, better to early.

I am sure will find the roads get busy near holyhead, the traffic heading for the ferry
Absolutely right. 30 bikes might be much for them.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
HIya
as it happens I do know the Sunrise and set times :)

19/6/2010, Rise 3:18 , sets 21:08 (in Dingle)

:
are you sure about the 21.08 bit. I found a calculator for sunset for Dublin that says 21.57 on the 19th June. Is 21.08 Not taking into account summer time?

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought it was early I must admit. Will have a look at a couple of sites that do this sort of thing

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
HIya
But stopping for refuels and num bumb syndrome does (or just stopping to warm up if the weather's bad)

Lets hope the weather is kind to us

·
Registered
145 Posts
traffic isnt as much as a problem for us on bikes but, 30-50 bikes queing up at traffic lights and junctions could take some time to pass through:cool:

just looked at 3 sites for sun rise/set times and all give diferent times:confused::confused:

earlier the better for set off, if it's a little before official sunrise time is this a problem (slight bend of the rules yes), safety is the most important thing and setting off as it goes light must be ok to allow the time to get to the ferry in time for check in:thumbup:

i will be travelling down with Iainnic and panzer on friday and staying over so an earlier start for us not not a problem:thumbleft::thumbright:

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Sunset is between about 2150 and 2200 depending on which site you look at. It's wholly doable.

Sunrise I thought was about 0445 but I haven't looked for a while so I may have that wrong. That's when the early bikers will start.

I'm on the late ferry but I'll start at sunrise and will sprint ahead to be at the ferry entry point (I'm on an 1100 and know the A55 across North Wales very well - it's motorway all the way from the border whatever the designation says).

All the ferry spaces are booked in my name and I have all the riders' (and where appropriate pillions') names and number plates so I'm arranging to be there to get us through quickly (preferably with our own lane) Ideally all you'll need is to present your passports and I and the person in the booth will do the rest.

Please can all of you ensure you have registered on TLD and XRV and please send your bookings and payments. TLD has had to borrow money to pay for the ferries upfront so we need to collect it as soon as poss.

Ta. :thumbup:

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
30-50 bikes queuing up at traffic lights and junctions could take some time to pass through:cool:
That's what we have outriders for! We hold the traffic and all the bikes go through at once. That was the technique in Scotland and Norn Irn last year: after that the bikes strung out. We intend to do the same in Dublin this year unless the Gardai help - they have been asked.

Apart from leaving Lowestoft (when there will be next-to-no traffic) and getting through Dublin, there are hardly any junctions at which we would not have priority on the rest of the route. :D

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Buggles had a great plan for last years run
but through lack of forward planning no one knew or stuck to it
Point man (who knows where he is going) rides at a steady pace on reaching a junction the second man stops and indicates for the rest to clearly see which way to go.
The last man signals the marker to rejoin the group

It should not matter that way even if there is a 10 minute gap

(it just needs drilling in to all to play)

·
ADV.John
63 Posts
It's called the drop off system, When it works it's brill, However when it goes Belly up. It goes big time and all those Involved could lose a lot of time.

With the amount of bikes involved it is really risky.

·
almost human !!!
757 Posts
One rider up front with a radio, alongside the navigator

Tail end charlie with a radio and the sweeper

One (or more) rider in the middle of the pack with a radio, to rebroadcast if the front man is out of range of the rear radio.

Last year Boris was up front, I was tail end charlie and we had two radio users in the middle. It worked a treat.

The front few bikes knew what to do at junctions & roundabouts etc., ie. block them this resulted in the whole pack going through in a one'r. Will be even easier if we are all wearing HI-Viz vests. It requires some planning and a rider brief.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Last year Boris was up front, I was tail end charlie and we had two radio users in the middle. It worked a treat.

The front few bikes knew what to do at junctions & roundabouts etc., ie. block them this resulted in the whole pack going through in a one'r. Will be even easier if we are all wearing HI-Viz vests. It requires some planning and a rider brief.
+ 1 :thumbright:

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
One rider up front with a radio, alongside the navigator

Tail end charlie with a radio and the sweeper

One (or more) rider in the middle of the pack with a radio, to rebroadcast if the front man is out of range of the rear radio.

sounds like a plan in the making!!!!

can i put my name down :p leading sounds good to me!!!!!

i have both radio and satnav this year

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts