Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the electrically minded experts out there.
I'm thinking of getting hold of a pair of 55watt H3 projector lights for the Vara , question is is there enough spare volts on there bike to run them without compromising the battery or RR.:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I'm thinking of getting hold of a pair of 55watt H3 projector lights for the Vara , question is is there enough spare volts on there bike to run them without compromising the battery or RR.:cool:
I dont think so. Tony Varadero fitted some and the charging system just couldn't keep up.

Have a look at the Cree LED ones on ebay. They are really good and only consume a few watts and you should have no problems.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I had the v1 bullet lights on my TA and they were very bright.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
241 Posts
hi
just in the proccess of fitting some vision x led spot lights to my varadero exceelent product but quite pricey..
they are equal to 55 watts very powerfull only a 1 amp current draw , fitted the same on my africa twin ,people know that you are coming and at night you can see were your going:D:D

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted by Rickmercs
Waterproof 12V 1600LM LED Light x2 Rally Utility Off Road 4WD Jeep Cherokee RAV4 | eBay

Thinking about the 3000lm version with dimmer that they do ,good bit of visual kitting up.
During the day can dim them a bit and at night on those dark country roads wack em up .
All I got to do is work out the best way of wiring them up so they go off when oncoming trafic appears .
Little bit of nifty wiring coming up :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I dont think so. Tony Varadero fitted some and the charging system just couldn't keep up.

Have a look at the Cree LED ones on ebay. They are really good and only consume a few watts and you should have no problems.

correct....cooked two batteries up and ended up having to disconnect the lights.......I never used them for the commute run, juts long rips but still couldn't cope......maybe I had chosen the wrong lights, cheap halfords ones.
I have some LED's now but I have not yet fitted them.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I can say is thanks Tony for all your hard work and going to the expense of trying them out so I don't have to make the same mistake :D

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Thinking about the 3000lm version with dimmer that they do ,good bit of visual kitting up.
During the day can dim them a bit and at night on those dark country roads wack em up .
All I got to do is work out the best way of wiring them up so they go off when oncoming traffic appears .
Little bit of nifty wiring coming up :thumbup:
Well the really nifty way would be to use a light sensor to autodim or dip the beasts :)

You will probably end up wiring them into the main beam using a relay like evryone else :D.

Do put a switch in too, just in case... ;)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nope not gonna wire them to main beam as I want full control , I might cross feed them with resister.
So they will come on with main beam and whenever I just want headlight and driving lights.
I'm just gonna sit myself down and work it all out.
Just had a idea of using a relay from high beam to activate them and still have control any other time:D

So one relay activates when on high beam and another relay to switch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-12V-3000LM-Cree-T6-Led-Light-Dimmer-BMW-Audi-Renault-Fiat-Alfa-Porsche-/181090739793

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Nope not gonna wire them to main beam as I want full control , I might cross feed them with resister.
So they will come on with main beam and whenever I just want headlight and driving lights.
I'm just gonna sit myself down and work it all out.
Just had a idea of using a relay from high beam to activate them and still have control any other time:D

So one relay activates when on high beam and another relay to switch.

2pcs 12V 3000LM Cree T6 Led Light + Dimmer BMW Audi Renault Fiat Alfa Porsche | eBay
You are going to need one hell of a resistor. Best bet of you want them dimmable is to wire them via a relay so they are either in series or parallel. That way they are either running of 6 or 12 volts.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
There are dimmers available that will send whatever voltage to the lights and take a trigger from the high beam to give full power.

Thought about getting one of those, but my plan v2 is to just fit some led strips to the hand guards as daytime lights, they're only for being seen anyway, if I need the lights to see then I can just use the main beam...

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
by the way my cheap halfords lights are coming off the bike soon. If anyone wants them p&p will do the trick.....

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Tony don't take them off just change the bulb to LED replacement lights:thumbup:
thanks Paul but I have a pair of LED lights already....actually had them for months and haven't fitted them.....useless wop!:cool:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Next question , is 2.6amp @12 volts be to much to much of a draw.

I know these are better than the std 55w H3 , I just don't know if 2.6amp is to much , from what I have gathered its just over a quater of what the 2x55w draw.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts