Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met this German guy in Austria with the most well worn Africa Twin i have ever seen. He told me that he bought the bike originally used from a Berlin Courier and has then been around the world 3 seperate times, the first for 3 years, the second for 7 years and the third for 4 years.

When i asked the mileage i was told 567,000 KM,s !!!!!!!!

He said that apart from changing the carbs and consumables no real problems, and when the bike rode up the road it sounded sweet !!!!

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,067 Posts
And he's running Heidenau K60's

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Paul-S....these k60's, can you still get the rear in non m&s (or are they the same as the old ones but stamped this way, snow tyre in summer sounds a tad daft... better milage from the old version? HELP........need to order pretty bloody soon. Cheers

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
like the tool box :thumbup:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Engine rebuild

He told me that wheel bearings, headrace bearings, rear shock and fork internals had been replaced. As regards the motor, the Clutch had been done but that the rest of the motor and gearbox was original

·
Registered
220 Posts
That is really impressive !
+1

Yeah, serious and impressive milage from the tough old Honda V Twin motor;:thumbup: anyone with more out there. I seem to remember the AfricaTwin Greg has a high miler bike ??

Cheers
Potski

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder about how his output shaft made it this far. After all, the Loctite solution is rather recent, so it was likely not employed for this bike.

I recently started wondering if such high mileage engines may have been weeping oil at the shaft seal from early on, which of course would have helped lubing the shaft-sprocket area and accordingly would have prevented wear.

I'm very familiar with all the discussions of countershaft wear and I'm not tring to spark another discussion here in this thread.

But it would be nice to know if a weeping oil condition as described above was the case, as it would support the theory that countershaft wear is indeed a result of a lack of lubrication.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.