Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an opinion on wether the six gear or 5 gear model is best.looking to get one but noticed 2 different gear boxes,thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Only the early carb bikes had 5 gears
88-02.
Some are reg as late as 04
However, fuel injected bikes came in from 03 and have 6 gears.

So depends on how much you want to spend and what year of a bike you are looking to get.

The 6 speed injected bike uses less fuel.
You also get the option of ABS from 04

Loudpedal

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
A lot of these bikes like the Transalp which only has 5 gears, really struggle at long distance cruising, the extra gear does seem to help with the economy.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
A lot of these bikes like the Transalp which only has 5 gears, really struggle at long distance cruising, the extra gear does seem to help with the economy.
Long distance cruising is surely the Varadero's strength and if you stick to the speed limit you should achieve well over 40MPG. Sitting on the autobahn at 90-100 mph will reduce economy, although the bike will cope brilliantly in every other way (comfort, handling). I often wonder what effect a sixth gear would have. What's the difference in ratio between 5th on my 99er and sixth on later bikes?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Long distance cruising is surely the Varadero's strength and if you stick to the speed limit you should achieve well over 40MPG. Sitting on the autobahn at 90-100 mph will reduce economy, although the bike will cope brilliantly in every other way (comfort, handling). I often wonder what effect a sixth gear would have. What's the difference in ratio between 5th on my 99er and sixth on later bikes?
thats where the extra gear comes in handy- 90-100mph cruising on the flat will give me 40mpg, which i find acceptable, but 70mph will put it in the 50's. the fuel computer thingy is good, i generally find i ride to keep 10m/ltr on the guage rather than keeping to a speed.
the 6th gear is more like an overdrive, i find quite a difference between 5th and 6th and its no good trying to gun it in 6th your going nowhere, in fact sometimes you need 5th to get up a hill. which is all good, 6th gives it nice long legs to stretch on a run

1 - 5 of 5 Posts