·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes:I'm going to get you lot!!!!
What a nightmare:(
My old airhead BMs, 15 to 20 minutes.
Four cylinder Bandit, hour or so.
Transalp, 6.5 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2006 Transalp, I learned quickly that the Haynes manual only goes to 2002.
The previous owner had fitted crash bars, this added to the time. Then, removing the fairing:(
When trying to put the front exhaust rocker cover back on , I lost one of the screws. Turns out to be down the forward spark plug hole, thank god that was on TDC..... Magnet on a string and bingo
At least they're done now and four new plugs.
I think I'll wait 30k until next time:rolleyes:
Think I'll buy myself a two stroke single next time with magneto ignition and no battery; actually, make that a single speed push bike

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
:rolleyes:I'm going to get you lot!!!!
What a nightmare:(
My old airhead BMs, 15 to 20 minutes.
Four cylinder Bandit, hour or so.
Transalp, 6.5 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2006 Transalp, I learned quickly that the Haynes manual only goes to 2002.
The previous owner had fitted crash bars, this added to the time. Then, removing the fairing:(
When trying to put the front exhaust rocker cover back on , I lost one of the screws. Turns out to be down the forward spark plug hole, thank god that was on TDC..... Magnet on a string and bingo
At least they're done now and four new plugs.
I think I'll wait 30k until next time:rolleyes:
Think I'll buy myself a two stroke single next time with magneto ignition and no battery; actually, make that a single speed push bike

You have no sense of fun! :D

But, just think of the labour charge that you have saved yourself - and the knowledge that it's been done properly and NOT by some monkey.

Oh, and very well done Sir. :thumbup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
That made laugh, right up until the point when I remembered that I'd need to the same in the future....:D

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
That made laugh, right up until the point when I remembered that I'd need to the same in the future....:D

Naaah, I did mine on the 600 at, 60,000km (20,000 after I bought it) & they were spot on. Did them again at 80,000 & they needed no adjustement, had them done professionally (cos I was starting to think I was doing something wrong) at 100,000 & he told me they'd not needed adjusting...

I don't think i'll bother any more...:thumbup:

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I forgot to mention, one bolt and three screws left over:confused:
I know the bolt came from undoing the right rad, but cannot see where it went back. Three screws were faring style. Still, that's better than the five thrust washers that were left over 30 years ago when I stripped my, still in warranty, Yamaha DT100 engine to see how it worked. They were clutch thrust washers BTW:rolleyes:
Alright alright! I was 18, excited by my bike and dying to know how it worked.
BTW, the Transalp tappets, 4 were good and two were too tight. But I will definitely leave the next time longer than 8k. Stick to my old rule, change oil regularly, use the best and all will be good:thumbup:

John

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
That is about the time it took me when I did mine.
4 inlets were perfect and one exhaust was loose one was too tight.
I even managed to drop a socket spanner into the valve space, that took 1/2 an hour to get out.
There are two bolts that hold the radiator to the frame from the front and one holds it to the front down tube.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Haha! Yeah, thats one job I leave for my local garage, although at around £35ph he charges nowhere near 6 hours.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ah yes...been there, done that! It is a difficult decision on such jobs to balance one's inquisitive nature and having the security of knowing the valves are indeed OK against that of not really knowing.

However, my take - As you have found, the job is an utter ball*che. Therefore, don't do it unless you really have to. Reasoning - TA motors are generally bomb proof, and historical evidence seems to suggest that they require little or no fettling after being set up correctly - either when new or at @ 8000 mile service. In addition, a reasonable indicator is just to listen to the engine. Bit of tappet noise isn't much of an issue, and a tight valve - more serious - can usually be detected by loss of throttle response/exhaust overheating at manifold. Any garage worth it's salt should be able to confirm or deny whether attention is really required.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Call me cynical, I wonder how many garages do the valves on a first service of a 650, which I believe say should be done.
BTW just bought a 1977 Suzuki GT250 to fiddle with and the occasional commute; can't find the valves though:D
Still, hardened crankcase seals might be a future issue:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
From the state of my tappets I would suggest they do check all but the front exhaust, which is the one which is hard to get to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts