Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Hill Rider
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Photos of my Alps strip down, clean, oily rag refurb & rebuild . . .

Before . . . . on the day of purchase actually

Don't you just luv a nice clean rim? :rolleyes:

10k / 20 years miles of chain crud

Front end work commences

Front end rebuild in progress

Heavy Duty crash bars

. . . . fitted

Work carried so far:-

Stripped & cleaned front & rear brake calipers and fitted new brake lines
Cleaned and checked front and rear wheel bearings
Cleaned and checked swing arm and suspension bearings
Cleaned and checked headrace bearings
Cleaned and re-painted front forks after I’d filled them with 10w oil
Cleaned and re-painted exhaust and front sub-frame
Checked and rust-inhibited all electrical connections
Cleaned and checked over carbs – balancing to be done soon
New spark plugs fitted – removed plugs were originals

TBCO

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
:thumbup:
That swing arm looks very much like the dominator one i presume its upside down in the photo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Varadero owner,

Ex V-Strom 650 destroyer.

Enjoying threads like this... it reminds me to drag the CX500 out and do some work to it. Sometime in the next decade I'll have it ready for mot.

Been looking at 600 or 650 alp for my next winter/ hack bike. They seem simple to work on and very dependable if you're at least slightly mechanically sympathetic. (Very bored with the xj600n)

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

·
Hill Rider
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Right - whats next now that thats done????

Put the old girl back together . . . .

Extra bit of security as I took the photo's :D

Just a few bits of touching up to do on the frame and the grill from the front of the engine needs some fettling now that the bike has engine bars.

Apart from that, she's ready to roll :-D

Steve T

·
Hill Rider
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got me some Givi pannier frames to allow me to fit a selection of luggage options, as the mood takes me. Here it is with the miniscule E21 Givi boxes fitted . . .

Also have a pair Pelicases that I have adapted to fit Givi racks, as well as a set of throw-overs that I can use tie-wrapped to the frames :thumbup:

Sump guard removed to allow the creation of a template for an alloy sump guard - work in progress.

Have obtained some small LEDs that I will attempt to fit without having to bore holes in the fairings ;)

Steve T

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Steve, has another road sign gone missing to have its gender changed from road sign to bash plate!!

·
Hill Rider
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve, has another road sign gone missing to have its gender changed from road sign to bash plate!!
Nowt gone missing from the local councils inventory Paul :rolleyes:, just me "re-cycling" a damaged item :grin:.

Template knocked up - just gotta get some space made in the garage over the weekend to allow me to fettle the alloy into shape. Oh, and make up a mounting plate to go under the top box plate - something with loop slots cut into it to allow some straps to be put to good use :mrgreen:

Photo's, once fetling and spraying completed to follow :thumbup:

Steve T

·
Hill Rider
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And so it comes to pass that the venerable 600 Alp is ready for some salt free roads (when they arrive), as I've finally finished doing what I wanted to do to the old girl.
Final job was the creation of an alloy sump guard . . . and here it is . . .

Now I need somewhere to park it up whilst I sort youngest sons Wee Strom.

Steve T

·
Registered
136 Posts
Blimey,,,,,,, you're keen,
Lovely job mind,,,,,,, :thumbright:

I bought this one 4 winters ago with 60,000 km on the clock.
I washed it, serviced it, and started riding it :D

I did change the front disc because I didn't need to slice any bacon (30 euro from a local breaker)
then I bought a seat cover from ebay Poland because I didn't like the way I kept sliding up and down the original one.

Since then I've swapped 1 CDI unit, found a 2nd hand silencer when the one in the pic rotted in half, 2 sets of tyres, and I've just fitted a new chain.
Oh, and she gets an oil change once a year and at least 2 washes (even if she doesn't need them).
She only gets used in the winter so she gets a nice long rest every summer, tbh I thought I'd keep her 1 winter and move her on, but I think she's a keeper now, just too good to part with.

87,000 km now and still running sweet, lovely bikes, enjoy!

·
Registered
136 Posts
there's very few original silver ones left now
Oh no, don't say it's rare,,,,,,,,,, I might have to start looking after it,,,,,,,,,, :D

Pulled up in Chateau Gontier last month for a coffee and parked next to the cafe owner's daily ride ;

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
yeah, there are quite a few more TA 600s in mainland Europe than in the UK. I always see a few in Spain when touring

·
Hill Rider
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From todays ride - the longest shakedown run for the Alp yet - 150 miles over various road/track surfaces . . .

Steve T

1 - 20 of 32 Posts