Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed on my newer 99 600 that at 70-73 mph the rpm is about 6k, and Im sure this sems a bit higher than my last 600. If I remembered rightly it was around 5500 at the same sort of speed. This newer one definately feels more highly strung at motorway speeds.
I have wipped off the front cover and its on a 15t and rear is 47t so I think thats standard gearing on the 600.
Would like to know anyone elses speeds on their 600.
I am also thinking therefore of getting a 16t front and want to know if the case guard goes back on with no rubbing issues. Hate this as on my XR4 a 16t means I cant run with a case saver, not something I like doing. Alternatively any issue and I may look at going to a 45 rear sprocket.

As the bike is going just road and light trail use Im not overly bothered with a low first gear, just want others views before shelling out on various sprocket combos

·
Registered
307 Posts
:cool:

Hi Phil,

Yes 15 front and 47 rear are the norm, just fitted a set myself fron David silvers, I have seen a 14 front and a 49 rear although I have never tried them or can judge their performance, sure to be someone who can along soon.

BIG D

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cool:

Hi Phil,

Yes 15 front and 47 rear are the norm, just fitted a set myself fron David silvers, I have seen a 14 front and a 49 rear although I have never tried them or can judge their performance, sure to be someone who can along soon.

BIG D
Cheers but 14/49 is great off road but no use for Motorways:thumbright:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
On my 650 I fitted a 16 tooth front and found that the plate needed to be positioned independently but it did not rub once fitted, I also have the 48 tooth rear, having only changed the front sprocket I find that the bike is not as eager to pick the front up but it pulls away with no problems and there is a slight difference in revs for a given speed.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I've experimented extensively on this phil.
I have an africa twin 650 one on the front (16T) and a 45 tooth rear I had made by talon for about 20 quid in gold alloy. I cruise at 70 at about 4150-4200, 80 is about 4700-4750 and 90 is about 5250-5300 that's about as far as I go on TKC's so beyond there is anyones guess.

The front one does rub on the case saver but is easily remedied with a bit of LIGHT grinding back (about 1/2 mm) I've done this on mine and grumpies bike and we've never had any problems. You can go down as far as a 43T rear but you have to remove links from the chain.

I also run a 48T-15T off road, a 16T-47T on medium journies and a 16T-48T round town. But I do have 3 or 4 spare sprocket carriers so I just pop and swap as need and adjust up the chain.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers rich you have done on your TA what Ive done on the XR.. every possible combo:D I ordered a 16t so will post findings:rolleyes:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
have you ordered a honda one? I found the quality was so far better I will now only use honda or sometimes jt. The wobble on grumpys front sprocket was horrendous but when we fitted a 16t honda one it disappeared and made it feel like a brand new output shaft. and the bonus is they are rubber mounted so protect the splines a bit.

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
have you ordered a honda one? I found the quality was so far better I will now only use honda or sometimes jt. The wobble on grumpys front sprocket was horrendous but when we fitted a 16t honda one it disappeared and made it feel like a brand new output shaft. and the bonus is they are rubber mounted so protect the splines a bit.
Indeed, it has dropped the revs quite a lot, its great having your own personal mechanic :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried the 16t out today and its back to a good motorway rev ..5500 ish at 73-75. No real problem in pulling off but not so sharp in the B road twists, but that can only be expected:thumbright:

·
AfricAddict
65 Posts
I just saw this, so I guess I'm a bit late to the party..

Anyway I use a 16T JT front sprocket (the bike is an XL600V) for a while now and it doesn't need any modification as it stays clear of the casing. I went back on a 15T after a major service when I wanted some more bang to feel the difference and changed it back a week later. The bike suddenly felt so stressed above 60 (100kms) compared to the 16T. It has to be said that when riding two-up in urban rides, or on moderately rough off-road, I miss the 15T but on every other case I believe the 16T is the winner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts