Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Great site - have been flicking through various posts etc
Ive not long purchased the 05 Transalp and has no service history ( imported to NZ from Ausy )
One question I have - Im replacing the clutch plates and springs etc as have noticed a bit of
slippage thats starting to increase - 105,000 ks and looks as though its not been apart !
Oil / filter replaced when I got it ( old oil was seemingly quite clean )
While Im at it - may as well do the fluid thing too
Any bleeding of the coolant when replacing ( as required by beemer 650s` )
Seems to be straightforward enough ?
Also will replace the oilpump drive chain - as a precaution - awaiting from Honda Japan !
Noticed no gasket on outside casing so guess I will use a permatex / locktite gasket goo that suits
Anyways appreciate your input
Gaz

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Hi Gaz and welcome to the Asylum.

There are no special procedures for changing the coolant. Just re-fill the system slowly until the coolant is up to the base of the filler neck. Run the engine for a couple of minutes and give it a couple of blips on the throttle - this should dislodge any trapped air. Make sure the level has not dropped away from the filler neck, and top up if it has. Remember to fill the expansion bottle to the Upper mark. Job done.

As for the oil pump, I assume you are referring to the crankcase joint? I which case you are correct to assume that the joint is made with Loctite or similar.

Happy fettling. :thumbup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Noticed no gasket on outside casing so guess I will use a permatex / locktite gasket goo that suits
Best stuff for the clutch cover is Threebond 1104. It's grey and doesn't show. It also doesn't break away and end up blocking the oil pickup if you've put slightly too much on. Last time I tried to get the Honda stuff it was black. I used to use Yamaha Bond #4 which is almost the same as the Threebond stuff.

Not sure you'd really need to replace the oil pump drive chain. The always look really loose even when new. Won't do any harm I suppose.

Where in NZ are you? I've got friends in Christchurch and sent an Africa Twin CDI down that way a while back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best stuff for the clutch cover is Threebond 1104. It's grey and doesn't show. It also doesn't break away and end up blocking the oil pickup if you've put slightly too much on. Last time I tried to get the Honda stuff it was black. I used to use Yamaha Bond #4 which is almost the same as the Threebond stuff.

Not sure you'd really need to replace the oil pump drive chain. The always look really loose even when new. Won't do any harm I suppose.

Where in NZ are you? I've got friends in Christchurch and sent an Africa Twin CDI down that way a while back.
Gidday Alan..........
Thanks for your advice
Im up Hawkes Bay way west of Hastings ( Nth Island ) - bugger ! All the good gravels down South !
Mate who runs the local Honda shop also suggested the 3bond goo !
As far as the oildrive goes I had similar thoughts as to replacing but seen its apart............
Still have waited on this for 3weeks now.........
Never mind we are getting some of your pre Olympic weather so its the shed for me...
A group of us head South twice a year - Burt Munro stuff and then adv. rides
I spent my early years down Chch and would move back at the drop of a pin....
Cheers once again
Gaz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts