Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone know the actual real wet weight of the 650 Alp? Ive got all kinds from 191kg to 225kg!!! Also, anyone aware of any 'known' issues wiht the 650 or things I should be aware of if buying?

Cheers all, much thanks!

D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I don't think anyone really knows the true weight of a 650. I would guess at 200kg. Certainly heavier than any 600s

Issues? Apart from the usual front sprocket issues, I can't think of any really, except make sure it has two keys, as a replacement will cost £50. And look at the silencer, they rot easily.

650s are really good value at the moment. You could get a really decent one for around £1,800

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Take the dry weight and add in all the extras. Fuel 17ltrs should weigh approximately 12.75kgs. Oils are approximately 1kg per ltr so maybe 4kgs in total including brake fluid and fork oil. Then add on tools 1-2kg. The add on anything added like luggage racks, crash bars, handguards, satnav etc.

In the book my 2002 Africa Twin is supposed to be 207kgs dry. With everything included it actually weighs 242kgs

·
Registered
177 Posts
Have always trusted the spec's listed by Lutin ---

Dry weight: 175.0 kg (386 lbs) V-Y to V-3 #
Dry weight: 192.0 kg (423 lbs) V-4 onwards
Curb weight: 194.0 kg (428 lbs) V-Y to V-3 #
Curb weight: 212.0 kg (467 lbs) V-4 onwards

But if I wanted to find a exact weight of a bike I would probably take it to a weigh bridge at a scrap yard.

Just don't leave it hanging around once you know
:grin:

·
Registered
177 Posts
why would a v4 weigh 17 kilos more than a v3? they are virtually the same bike?

It probably doesn't I should have included the additional line in my earlier post --

Dry weight: 175.0 kg (386 lbs) V-Y to V-3 #
Dry weight: 192.0 kg (423 lbs) V-4 onwards
Curb weight: 194.0 kg (428 lbs) V-Y to V-3 #
Curb weight: 212.0 kg (467 lbs) V-4 onwards

# These weights are those quoted in the Haynes manual. There is evidence to suggest that they are incorrect and the actual weights are closer to the later models, ie 192 / 212 Kgs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My owners book ('03 650) says something to the effect of:
- dry weight 192kg (edit) 196kg(edit)
- empty weight 212kg (edit) 211kg (edit)
- fueled weight 228kg (edit) not given but add the weight of 19.6litres of petrol at up to 0.77kg/litre, 15.1kg, 226kg(edit)

Dry in the motorcycling industry means no oil, no coolant, no battery, no tyres, no brake fluid, etc, then place the bike in a dehumidifier for a day or so then weigh it. Empty means no fuel.
I'll check those numbers shortly.
Mine has done more than 175,000km and has had the radiators replaced at 112,000km, the wheels respoked and steering head bearings replaced at 110,000km, speedo drive rebuilt at 117,000km, cam chains swing arm and prolink bearings, bushes, seals and clutch at 145,000km and it now needs engine work.
The big issue with all Transalps is not enough slack in the chain causing the countershaft sprocket to wear when the chain tightens before the suspension fully compresses. Something has to give and the shaft wears. If it's worn, walk away, the engine and gearbox must be fully dismantled to replace the worn shaft.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My owners book ('03 650) says something to the effect of:
- dry weight 192kg (edit) 196kg(edit)
- empty weight 212kg (edit) 211kg (edit)
- fueled weight 228kg (edit) not given but add the weight of 19.6litres of petrol at up to 0.77kg/litre, 15.1kg, 226kg(edit)

Dry in the motorcycling industry means no oil, no coolant, no battery, no tyres, no brake fluid, etc, then place the bike in a dehumidifier for a day or so then weigh it. Empty means no fuel.
I'll check those numbers shortly.
Mine has done more than 175,000km and has had the radiators replaced at 112,000km, the wheels respoked and steering head bearings replaced at 110,000km, speedo drive rebuilt at 117,000km, cam chains swing arm and prolink bearings, bushes, seals and clutch at 145,000km and it now needs engine work.
The big issue with all Transalps is not enough slack in the chain causing the countershaft sprocket to wear when the chain tightens before the suspension fully compresses. Something has to give and the shaft wears. If it's worn, walk away, the engine and gearbox must be fully dismantled to replace the worn shaft.
How do you know if it's worn? Isnt it covered? Cheers!

·
Registered
177 Posts
How do you know if it's worn? Isnt it covered? Cheers!
The only way to tell is to remove the drive sprocket you can then compare the splines where the sprocket has been running on with the outer end of the shaft which remains unworn as nothing runs on it.

its a bit time consuming which a seller might object to but I don't think I would buy an alp without checking it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts