Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok all, a tentitive toe in the water!

Up for sale is my 2001 "Y" xl650v Transalp, which I purchased through a forum member. I have owned this bike for over 5 years & has never failed me.

The previous owner prepped the bike for a trip which ended on the first day, the bike suffered cosmetic damage only (fairing, clocks headlight etc).
I purchased the bike "naked" after the previous owner put it back on the road & used it for commuting for a while.

Good bits;
Low mileage (15,000mls)
Full service history from new, stamped book up until my purchase & a detailed record made since.
Original Handbook, service book, Tool kit (inc plug spanner)
2 working Hiss keys
SW Motech crash bars
Graves Aluminium Sumpguard
DR Bike heated grips
12 charging socket
Either std or low seat available.
Every MOT from it's 1st one in 2004 (+ the original broken clocks to prove previous mileage (8087mls ))
Avon Gripster Tyres, Front as new, Rear less than 1/2 worn
Fully waxoiled (looks horrible) - good, solid rims & virtually no corrosion on the engine, frame & suspension components
Runs & rides perfectly, starts on the button, no rattles*, no smoke, uses no oil.
Clutch & gearbox are perfect too.
Tidy, original red paintwork on the front mudguard/tank & side panels (sure, there are a few marks but overall good)

Since my purchase, service items carried out are;
Regular o+f changes (done on time basis due to low annual mileage)
Coolant changed (for Ford, long life stuff)
Valve clearances checked
Air filter replaced
New plugs (NGK Iridium)
PAIR removed - saves clutter
125 main jets fitted (run better, better on fuel)
Cat/subchamber removed (less weight, runs better)
All steering, wheel & suspension/swingarm bearings stripped, inspected, cleaned & re greased
Racetec Gold valve emulators fitted to the front forks & oil change
Brake calipers stripped, cleaned & rebuilt with fresh fluid, braided hoses on the front
Genuine Honda pads all round
DID gold X ring chain & Honda front sprocket (shaft is perfect).
Modified the wiring harness (properly done) to remove the abundance of wiring & block connectors
BS/E marked Motad Venom & custom link pipe/hanging strap with removable baffle

I also have available FOC a high "enduro" style front mudguard & a home made minimalist enduro style tail piece with LED light aswell as the original (broken) clocks.

I'm sure you'll agree, quite a comprehensive list, the bike is ready to roll & has no issues.

Full MOT, Tax until end of Feb '13

Not so good bits;
The Acewell speedo/fuel gauge packed in during it's recent lay up (my brothers garage) & has been replaced with a Sigma cycle speedo (I guestimated the odo mileage which will be accurate to within 2/300 miles)
The twin headlight Simpson Detour fairing, one of the lenses (plastic/polycarbonate) has started to discolour/melt (mud dries, & insulates them which makes them overheat....)

The bike passed the last MOT with this speedo & the last several MOT's with the headlight like this but you may want to change/improve the items.
* There is a slight tappy sound on a cold start up as some of these engines do, it's alway's done it - not got better, not got worse in my time with the bike. It quietens after about 20-30 seconds or so then runs quiet & sweet.
The bike is a bit grubby in the corners but is a great reliable, fully sorted trail/commuter/scratcher & is an absolute HOOT to ride

Looking for £1350
Located in Leigh, Lancs

As the bike's looks have changed, the below may not be true to how the bike currently stands!

Thanks for looking, Phil

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Are you keeping the black one Phil?

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are we turning to the "Dark Side"? :D

Or something just more comfortable for distances? If so, been considering something along these lines myself - need more pillion leg room for a start. Rachel and her gammy knee. ;)
A big fat NO on the 1st point (been there, done that :D

More like the 2nd point.

Whatever, it'll ba a Honda :thumbup:;)

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Sh!t Phil wrong timing for me.......I loved the transrat when I had a go on it.......I'd have liked to had that in the stable:(

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
never ridden this but have had a good look at it!

all of phils bikes get very well looked after (when he isn't nursing mine back to health!)

this is a cool looking bike and has been loved!

just my 10p worth

Z

·
Registered
756 Posts
Like that Phil could be just what i'm after :thumb:

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Hmm hold on there, looks tempting to me also.
Any chance of some piccies of what it does look like now, inc front light set up.
I might feel a plan forming

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Tou mentioned some cosmetic damage, does that mean it has been classified as damaged in anyway as far as insurance companies DVLA etc are concerned?
I like the colour! (I know still sounding like a girl, but still recovering from Lola my last, and biege Tranny)

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tou mentioned some cosmetic damage, does that mean it has been classified as damaged in anyway as far as insurance companies DVLA etc are concerned?
I like the colour! (I know still sounding like a girl, but still recovering from Lola my last, and biege Tranny)
To be honest, I'm not sure!
I seem to be recalled being told that it was a cat D?
Nothing is listed on the reg document, how else do I find out other than a hpi check?

Insurance has never been a problem, all the company's that I have been insured with haven't added any premium for the bike being non standard.

Hope this helps, Phil

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where, on the front page under "special notes"?
It only states;
1. Declared new at first registration.

If anyone has any uncertainty, you are more than welcome to do a hpi check/inspection.

Phil

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok, some current pics!

(showing my puncture kit under the headlight, will be removed before sale!)

Alloy reinforced handguards with larger guards mounted over the top for extra weather protection, not pretty but works!
Note stone chip on the tank.

Note the marks on the lhs of tank - would touch in.

Lh peg hanger could do with tidying.

Lh headlight lens fault

Minimalist tailpiece with Hornet LED light, the fabrication is a bit "blacksmith" but was an ever changing project!

The red paint work is still deep & glossy only points to note are the 3 marks on the tank.

Regards, Phil

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
What kind of OEM bits are left, thinking specifically of being able to put the rack back on, I like the look of the dual headlights the melted lends, might that be replacable?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
What kind of OEM bits are left, thinking specifically of being able to put the rack back on, I like the look of the dual headlights the melted lends, might that be replacable?
Thanks
The bike comes with 2 tail pieces - a standard (ish) one complete with stock TA rack & light as in the first pic (of my last post) & the modified chopped down version as in the last pic.
It only takes a couple of mins to swap them over to change the look of the bike.

Here are the two side by side

The headlight.....isn't great, they look to be bonded in.
To be brutally honest, I'm surprised my mot man hasn't said anything.
As the units don't have beam deflectors, the twin H4 bulbs give lots of light but not well placed.

It's about the 4th light unit to grace the bike in my ownership as I have tinkered with bits over the years :D

Phil

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Pm sent

1 - 20 of 28 Posts