Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,new to forum have a 01 fx650 Vigor.finding I need to top oil up about every 200 miles / 24,000 miles on the engine.i am testing as per manual . Let it run from cold for a minute and then testing level .over 200 miles oil moves from full to low level on dip stick ,I am assuming oil consumption is a characteristic of these bikes ? Thanks

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
I'm not familiar with these bikes but i find the best way to get a quick, accurate oil leve checkl is with a hot engine after a decent run.
That's valid for both wet and dry sump engines like in the slr/Vigor

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Going from full to low level on dip stick is way too high. Mine goes down maybe 1cm or so. Are you sure you allowed the oil pump to kick in when you filled the bike from empty? It takes a few minutes of idling. That's when it goes down from full to low because the pump is taking the oil from the oil tank into the engine. You then top it up back to full. After that, if you're checking the oil after a long run then - as I understand it -- you need to give it a few minutes to settle in the tank before measuring it.

There's quite a lot on the Forum about checking the oil on these bikes (including some questions from me when I was clearly confused!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going from full to low level on dip stick is way too high. Mine goes down maybe 1cm or so. Are you sure you allowed the oil pump to kick in when you filled the bike from empty? It takes a few minutes of idling. That's when it goes down from full to low because the pump is taking the oil from the oil tank into the engine. You then top it up back to full. After that, if you're checking the oil after a long run then - as I understand it -- you need to give it a few minutes to settle in the tank before measuring it.

There's quite a lot on the Forum about checking the oil on these bikes (including some questions from me when I was clearly confused!)
Thanks for your comments will have a look

1 - 4 of 4 Posts