Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all . been biking for a number of years, always sports bikes , last bike was a GSX-R600. Im seriously considering buying alp 650 or new alp 700 , had a short go on new alp700 on honda garage forecourt , really enjoyed it , very comfy and relaxed riding position , find this site and techtransalp site very good for getting lots of useful info. want to get into a bit of touring and a wee bit of off-roading ,does anybody think that there will be much difference from 650alp and the 700 , as i can get a very good deal on a (pre-reg 57) 650alp . would appreciate any opinions , cheers

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think the 700 will make a better touring bike than the 650. You won't find many people who have tried both bikes. All tests published so far, rate the new 700 in terms of comfort and power delivery, something lacking in the 600 and 650, both of which I found pretty uncomfortable (I owned the 600, great bike but NOT comfortable over distance). On paper the 700 should make a better road bike than the 650.

Based purely on sitting on one in the dealers, the 700 is the most comfortable TA so far, by some margin.

The 650 is bound to be a bit better offroad, due to the weight and 21" front wheel, but it won't be massively better and many would never consider taking either bike offroad (me included).

Having said all this my Honda dealer recently sold it's last 650, pre-reg for about £4200, which is a bargain. I doubt you'd get a 700 for less than £5000. So you could buy the 650 and a "proper" secondhand dirtbike for the same money.

I went from VFR and Hornets to the Transalp 600 - going from a GSX-R is going to be a shock to the system! The 700 will be less of a shock than the 650. I'd go for the 700. But get a proper testride!

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
If you seriously mean the "bit of off road" I'd probably say the 650 is for now a better bet. There are a heap of extras avaliable for it that allow you to protect against the ineviteble, probably won't be out for the 700 for a couple of years.
Theres also a history of good mods to make it more effective, and now theres even a choice of gearing!

·
cyril,wirral,squirrel
108 Posts
HI OPTIMUS
A GSx-R600 to a transalp that'll be a TRANSFORMATION

one for the kiddies there...............

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks for your opinions , really appreciate them , im really desperate to get another bike thats got a great reputation , think i will need to go for the 650 , cant get a test drive on new 700 till Feb21/22 and dont know how long it will be before they can deliver the 700. :cool:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
If the same applies to the 650/700 TA stepup as it does to the Deville then the 650 is more economical.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
650 - you'll never regret it, and it's seriously comfy on long hauls. (in my opinion)

As for the off roading - come out with Mudwizz, BTBloke, Airwolf, and any of the Africa dudes and you'll see what it can do at the hands of the meisters :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have read just about every bike test written on the 650 & the new 700 TA against some of there closest competitors, but i have to say that the performance data for the new 700 TA doesnt suggest a significant improvement over the 650, I think that you would be better off trousering the 2 grand you would save by opting for a fully kitted out low mileage 650 TA. There are some great low mileage, immaculate bikes kicking around.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Optimus!
I rode sportsbikes until 1998 when I bought my first Transalp 600. After that I have owned among others TA650 and three Varaderos.
About two-three months ago I rode a TA 700 about 600kms and I loved the bike.
TA 650 is a very good bike, but I would never(after three Varaderos) go for a TA650.

Today? I have now owned the TA700 about a month....that says everything ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Optimus

You really need to try these bikes out for youself, I am on my 3rd TA ( I've had a BMW F650 GS / Africa Twin / DL 1000 / 1000cc Varadero & 3 Transalps, the Transalps have been bought in between that lot listed above, amongst other retros / tourers & sports bikes which I have since decided arent my bag. The fact that i have had 3 TA's just means that it is my personal preference so dont let anyone sway you one way or another get a decent test ride & try it on as many road surfaces etc.. as you can.

Personally I found the Vara to lumpy as per the DL thou and would not have either again, thats not to say that someone else might like them.

Best of luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts