Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, whose seen the MCN drivel about some spy shots of a 675 engined baby Tiger (I've called it a Tiger Cub :rolleyes:) and what are your thoughts?

Me, if it's for real and as well built as the other bikes in their range, then I'd seriously think about emptying the garage to make space for one.

Got to better to buy British than German, right?

And discuss . . . . . . .

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Word is it is going to be an 800 to compete with the 800GS. :confused: I will wait until I can set eyes on the real thing before getting exited though. Even if it looks the dogs I doubt that I will be able to afford it. :(

Andy.

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Don't suppose I'll be able to have one from new either. But it would be nice to have another midrange (675/800?) option on the secondhand market in a few years time - specially if its (edit: partly) british! :thumbright:

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
- specially if its british! :thumbright:
Mickey, as a Triumph owner I can tell you that you might be surprised by just how much (or little) of the bikes are actually produced in Britain. That said, at the moment it is a British company which seems to be bucking the trend and increasing it's share of the market in the face of much larger competitors. :eek: It would be really nice if they can produce something to compete with the increasing numbers of continental Adventure bikes. :thumbright:

Andy.

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
I'd be really tempted by an 800 Triumph Adventure bike. I loved my 955 Tiger. Hearing the engine noise on the video at Triumph Adventure made me smile again.

The sound of that three cylindre engine still gives me goosebumps!

Doubt I can afford a new one, but it could be an interesting option to replace the KTM a few years down the line (not replacing her anytime soon!!!).

JB

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
This would probably be my dream bike (NO NOT ONE WITH STABILISERS)
Triumph badge, Triumph Grunt and for the first time since the 885 Tiger proper "Adventure" potential...........Might have to raid my 50p piece jar :rolleyes:

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
If it's going to be a triple, I'd rather they kept the capacity down. It doesn't need to be bigger to compete with the 800GS. The 675 makes more power (107bhp) than the 800GS, and even a detuned 675 should at least be a match for the 800GS.

Current 675 models have a weight advantage of about 15kg on the F800. It doesn't seem worth compromising that when it already makes more than enough power...

Who wants another bloaty overweight >100bhp adventure bike? :rolleyes:

Hopefully they won't go down that road. What would be the point of the 1050 Tiger if they did? :confused:

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
If it's going to be a triple, I'd rather they kept the capacity down. It doesn't need to be bigger to compete with the 800GS. The 675 makes more power (107bhp) than the 800GS, and even a detuned 675 should at least be a match for the 800GS.

Current 675 models have a weight advantage of about 15kg on the F800. It doesn't seem worth compromising that when it already makes more than enough power...

Who wants another bloaty overweight >100bhp adventure bike? :rolleyes:

Hopefully they won't go down that road. What would be the point of the 1050 Tiger if they did? :confused:
80 BHP, provided it's light enough, would be plenty. The most important thing for me in a proper dual purpose ADV bike, is that it can sit comfortably at 70/80 mph on the motorway, without being too buzzy.

That's the problem with a lot of the smaller capacity bikes. So a 6th gear that really keeps the revs down at speed would be ideal.

Oh, and a 30ltr tank, easy access for maintenance, long service intervals (6k miles at least, like the 955 tiger), 50+ mpg, and less than £6995 please :)

Where do I sign?

Also, if it can magically make the rider appear more intelligent and attractive, that would help too :D:D:D

JB

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Also, if it can magically make the rider appear more intelligent and attractive, that would help too :D:D:D

JB
What you need mate is an Africa Twin............Look what it did for me :rolleyes:

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
What you need mate is an Africa Twin............Look what it did for me :rolleyes:
I think the AT made you magically appear more bouncy... Sure, some people find that attractive...

:D:D

JB

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
its not a BSA...

if its a wee 600 triple with fat pistons to make a an 800.. :hitler: poke it

17inch front wheel.....

alloy wheels..

oil cooler 3mm from the deck...

will stick with my fat FT :toothy1:

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Anyone care to guess the engine capacity of the new Triumph adventure bike?

Are Triumph just band wagon jumping? Or will it be a really serious piece of kit?
Slide the cursor to 57 seconds in for the only shot of most of the bike.

Looks like proper spoked wheels to me.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Couple of stills of the adventure bike in the promo...

Interesting stuff indeed.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
SteveT, thanks for raising this, Raymo, you're speaking through your ***#!

It looks like a proper enduro style bike (spoked wheels Raymo) with the 675 triple engine. 105 BHP will be detuned to give more midrange probably, but still ample power to put a smile on your face. I'm so intreagued by this I even bought an MCN this week!
Triumph outsource their parts worldwide and build the bikes in Britain, my Tiger was well enough put together so build quality is almost on a par with Honda in my eyes so I've no issue with this. Japanese prices have went through the roof over the last year so perhaps the Triumph might be reasonably priced for todays market.

If it's anything like the Tiger, the seat will be comfortable for long distance, the handling will be spot on, the sound from the triple will be infectious and it'll be British! Triumphs hold their value better than most other bikes so value for money as well. Lets hope they've solved the issues with the older bikes like poor lights, wind noise and bouncy castle suspension.

I might be interested in this, would need a demo, the 1200 due to follow might be a better bike for the amount of two up touring I do. People keep saying the power of these big bikes is unneccesary, but after my last trip to Germany I would not have liked to do the same trip on a transalp or @T, the power is needed for overtaking and keeping up with the flow of traffic while carrying two up and full luggage (nothing to do with 130mph on the Autobhan!) If the Triumph has around the 80BHP and plenty of go I could be tempted. I've been saving for a change of bike perhaps next yr so if Honda don't come up with something special I may well try Triumph!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
SteveT, thanks for raising this, Raymo, you're speaking through your ***#!

not looked :hitler: you should realy swim around the hook a few times :D

but its not a bsa :thumbup::D

at least they are going the right way cc wise.. thought they may bring out a 1400cc triple :cool:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
beinging serious..

a small light 80bhp triple would suit my riding I am solo so dont need the 100+ 2 up grunt of the bigger adventure tourers... and is does sound nice.. now I have actually looked, :rolleyes:

I hope it is as good as the hype.. we have been here before with Yamaha, and got A NICE 1200cc £13k GSclone..

as has been said 80bhp.. the DL 650 is the segment , another under rated bike :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Next instalment is online now at Triumph Adventure

This confirms it's a new long stroke triple in both of the new bikes. If it's not in "arm and a leg" territory costs wise, then it may be a good alternative to the BMW and KTM equivalents. Quite why Honda can't get their act together and produce something worthwhile in this market sector is somewhat baffling.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Next instalment is online now at Triumph Adventure

This confirms it's a new long stroke triple in both of the new bikes. If it's not in "arm and a leg" territory costs wise, then it may be a good alternative to the BMW and KTM equivalents. Quite why Honda can't get their act together and produce something worthwhile in this market sector is somewhat baffling.
long stroke== nice torque..... here's hoping !!:angel1:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts