Honda XRV Forum banner
986 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  sproggy 
#1 ·
For the last little while ive noticed that me left arm elbow goes stiff after about an hour of riding but
couldn't work out why. Last weekend I was on the motorway for a 30 mile stretch and found it more
comfortable to use the pillion pegs which pushed my upper body forward more causing my arms to be
slightly bent, this made me realise that when I ride normally with my instep on the peg, my arms are
normally more or less locked out which was causing the pain in my arm.
Anyone any suggestions how to bring the bars further back or make any other improvements?

#3 ·
There are so many possible solutions - rotate the bars in the clamps, fit bar risers, fit bar-backs, fit different bars with more sweep back. That's the great thing about bikes with 7/8" bars - they're infinitely adjustable. But nobody can tell you a single solution because everyone's a different shape and has a different preferred riding position.

#4 ·
I had a similar problem with the 700 TA, and it was one of the main reasons I sold the bike. I found the bars too far away and my arms were too stretched, and I have quite long arms. I tried bar risers and adjusting the bars, but in the end I found the riding position just too "lean forward" and the pegs too high, so I sold the bike.

#5 ·
Ft he bars are allready quite far back and if I rotate them much more the hand grips will drop slightly, I
have got them back about half an inch but that's as much as I can do without risers. I'll try it with the changed position and see how I come on.

#6 ·
Have a look here:

SW Motech Motorcycle Handlerbar Risers

You have two options - 'Barback risers' which move the bars up and back a fixed amount and the 'Vario Barback' which allows a variety of positions, all of them with the bars themselves 'upright' (i.e. grip angle remains the same). I've not tried either of these myself because I've never felt the need, but I have used a number of other SW Motech products and they're good quality.

#8 ·
Good point. And replacing the brake line isn't the most simple of jobs with ABS. But it would be easy enough to unbolt the bar clamps and lift the bars up to see whether they can reach a comfortable position without stretching anything - that costs nothing and would determine what might need lengthening were barbacks to be fitted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.