Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents

Reading posts, I get the impression the 700 seems to suffer from "build quality" issues. Are these real or exaggerated minor flaws? If real, and as an owner, I'd be interested to understand just what these are...

As far as I can observe they seem pretty minor. Spokes - was ever so on TAs, wing mirror stems - big deal, engine casings - don't ride on salty roads so nothing here and a few slightly rusty fasteners perhaps. I cannot see much else of concern - unless it's engine/clutch/gearbox.

What is the fuss about?

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 58 plate Transalp 700 with 8,000 miles on it, as far as my bike and some others I have looked at the problems are all minor, as you said spokes, mirror stems, and some fixings.
I coat my spokes with ACF50 and have not had any corrosion problems with them but I know some have, the back of the mirror stems tarnish and the heads of some fixings corrode but they do on most bikes unless changed for stainless.
I think in general the bike is as good as any other manufacturer and better than many.
I do not know of any major faults with the Transalps, major machanicals appear better made than most as long as its serviced cleaned and maintained regularly it will go on for years

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
oggy - your absolutely right - were all fussy wingers! Genreally because we have such high expectation of Honda based on previous models.

Spokes - warranty claim paid towards upgrade to SS.
Mirror arms - replaced under W
Nuts and Bolts - aged premiturely and replaced under W

Slightly more major:
Exhaust - rusting spots and flaking paint - replaced twice under warranty - 2nd time the dealer claimed the warranty value and allowed me to put it toward a 3rd party can - Arrow.
Forks - some have had pitting issues - i coat mine regular.
Head bearings - depends a lot on hot the dealer fitted them, over/under tightened them for example.
Damage to casings - caused during service due to lack of space when trying to check valve clearances - sometimes cosmetic, can be other.
Major corrosion on parts - Brake nipples and hose joints, rear brake cylinder and brake calipers...all add up in future if not taken care of.
Rear shock - corrosion due to grime, the protector works very well but it does depend on use and this area collects dirt fast.
Rims - some have had flaking paint and rust around the spoke eyes, again I havent but I do coat it daily in winter.

As you say - a lot depends on use and maintenance.

I ride all year round, salt and all, but I clean it everytime I ride it in the winter, even just a hose down and coat with water/salt repellent (I use the Scotoiler one in the yellow bottle). I coat all these corrosion area and exposed bolts and my bike after 30k and 2 winters looked better than a 8k summer use bike the dealer had in his used stock as a p/ex.

Ive now traded this bike in for a new Alp not due to corrosion or wear but at least with the new one I now know where to look for issues so this one will last even longer.

I will be replacing all the exposed bolts with SS ones.

NOTE - I seriously recommend fitting a Fender Extenda - the engine casing underside went very quickly but didnt show any more signs of corrosion after I fitted one....obviously I dont go off road!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Apologies, thread hijack for a moment.

Farky- how did you manage to get 2 exhausts out of Honda? I'm having a similar problem with mine despite it being just a few months old. Honda refuse to accept it is a manufacturing or material defect. Was there a particular tact you took?

Thanks,
cpp01

·
Registered
43 Posts
spokes spokes and more bloody spokes thats the only poor part of my bike , honda said it was down to me not looking after the bike (honda uk that is ) my dealer got back on to them and talked them round saying that was rubbish the rest of the bike was as new , still not herd anything for aweek or so

BIKES THIS WAY

·
Registered
305 Posts
Done 12k miles and had the following - no other issues, used all year, ACF50 works well !

Spoke - arg ! Had a new back wheel in the first 2 months (all winter riding) due to dull spokes and they have dulled again- Honda repalcing with stainless steel spokes under warranty front and back

Mirrors - no real issue

Decals - one started peeling from the front - entire pannels repalced immediatley under warranty

Otherwise - excellent bike. It's not high speed motorway cruiser, but it beats the pants of a GS in my view £ for £ for fun

Honda support has been excellent - definatley a no quibble warranty

Iain

·
Registered
43 Posts
thats what i said and thats what the dealer told honda uk , i think its down to how you get on the other end of the phone ,,and as for looking after them, its not hard is it to run a cloth with some wd40 over them when you clean the bike

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an 09 alp,so far have had ,
Exhaust can changed
Waiting for decisions on,
rear spokes
lower exhaust heat shield
pillion foot pegs
paint bubbling on cylinder head casing.
The dealer was asked by Honda to check the general condition of the motorcycle.The bloody bike was only six months old.
I ride year round,clean the bike weekly,not sure what else can be done.
Gray

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine has never seen a salty road (09 reg) and has been well looked after. It has slightly tarnished spokes and the mirror stems are discoloured but all in all it is in very good condition. I can't be bothered taking it back for such small things but might have done if I'd bought it new for £6.5k!

I would have no concerns if it's only for summer use and you are willing to clean and inspect/maintain regularly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi, I think the quality of things in general has got poor, mainly due to cost cutting and trying to get mximum profit with minimum out lay,
I dont thing the transalp is any worse than most other bikes, compared to some costing thousands,
Take the bmw gs which suffers with alot of corrosion problems on the alloy parts around the front end and what would you pay for one of them ?,
I stick to the honda brand and this is my fourth transalp 600/650 /700 over mainy years ,I ride all year round with minimal cleaning and im happy with how the finish is standing up

Ian.;)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think back to the time when the only issues I had with my Honda CX500 was the Lacquer peeled off the engine clutch cover, on the Yamaha and Suzuki It happened faster but that was the extent to the problems.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Can't say there was much done by me as far as getting the can replaced, I've got a decent dealer and for me that's worth the difference between a Honda and a BMW.

I do have maintenance on my side as I buy litres of Scottoiler protector off them and it shows on the bike.

For those having issues with dealers and Honda UK. I'd say it's more down to your dealer than Honda UK!

Apologies, thread hijack for a moment.

Farky- how did you manage to get 2 exhausts out of Honda? I'm having a similar problem with mine despite it being just a few months old. Honda refuse to accept it is a manufacturing or material defect. Was there a particular tact you took?

Thanks,
cpp01

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Womble
180 Posts
So far the following have been replaced by my dealer twice [after each winter] thanks to premature corrosion or paint flaking off where it shouldn't;

* Both mirrors
* Exhaust bolts where they hold chromed/painted protective plates in situ.
* Black painted exhaust shield by right footrest
* The silencer [rust on most welds, and paint flaking off the side nearest the wheel.]
* Both upper fork stanchions - the chrome bits

And after the first winter thiese items were replaced in addition to those listed above.

* Left hand crank case inspection covers
* Chain

I seem to have escaped the spoke issue, but then they did get a liberal covering of chain lube that hasn't been washed off for some time. Yeah they look awful, but the should be sound.

This service I'm getting fork gaiters fitted to hopefully keep the pitting at bay, that and a liberal covering in the Scottoiler equivalent of ACF 50 should do the trick!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts