Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just returned from a trip to the Alps and my chain has stretched a lot to the point it now needs replacing.
I've kept it in pretty good shape since I got the bike in Feb and think it's the bike's second chain (despite only having 7k on the bike when I got it). I assume the stock chain isn't gold?
Is this normal for a 700 alp? The difference in chain tension between standing and me + full panniers seems a lot!

·
Registered
406 Posts
One decent chain should last a lot longer than 7000 miles on a Transalp if it's properly maintained (lubricated, cleaned) and adjusted. To have used two in that distance there is definitely something wrong. The correct tension will allow for changes in chain length due to loading. Is it possible that the chain you have is a cheap one? You do get what you pay for.

I did 6000 miles on my 650, 2,600 of which was a trip to Spain and back pretty well loaded and at mostly high speeds (trying to keep up with a 1200GS!). I adjusted the chain slightly after that trip but the slack had increased only by around 5mm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that is probably the case, the amount the chain has stretched over the last week (2,200 miles) is obscene. It's been kept well lubricated and adjusted once during the trip so it is most likely a chain made of cheese. I'll get a DID chain put on it which will hopefully sort me out. I was more concerned that it was the weight that caused the issue and if this was a common problem.
Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
No, not a common problem. If you need to change the sprockets with the chain make sure you get a genuine Honda front one as they tend to be kinder to the output shaft splines than aftermarket ones.

·
Administrator
1,784 Posts
The original chain on my 650 lasted more than 30,000 miles, and only needed adjustment when tyres were changed (although adjustment was probably not needed then either!) - I was rather more concerned that I was changing rear tyres every 3-4000 miles (but i don't like riding on squared-off tyres).
I'd suggest a good-quality chain, and a Scotoiler or equivalent, will be helpful (and new OEM sprockets, too).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a look at the chain this evening and it's an IRIS chain. I've never heard of them before but looking at opinion online I'm lucky it didn't snap.
Anyway, I'll be replacing it with a DID chain, is it worth going for the extra heavy duty (ZVM-X) over the standard heavy duty x-ring chain (VX)?

·
Administrator
1,784 Posts
Anyway, I'll be replacing it with a DID chain, is it worth going for the extra heavy duty (ZVM-X) over the standard heavy duty x-ring chain (VX)?
DID are good..... whether it's worth uprating to an extra-heavy-duty chain is moot: the TA is hardly a high-powered bike ;), although I suppose the V-Twin engine's punchy torque delivery gives the chain a somewhat harder life than (say) an inline four. Personally, I'd be inclined to go for the "standard" HD spec, with genuine Honda sprockets .... that way I'd expect "Chain & Sprocket" to wear at the same rate (rather than have to replace a chain onto half-worn sprockets or vice versa), and give a good lifespan. And use a chain oiler rather than a spray of lube "if & when".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts