Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this interesting site which charts the history of the 52 degree engine from VT500 to XRV750.

Curious on your views on the following quote from this site;

It has been broadly claimed, that the most effective use of the V-Twin 52
[SUP]o[/SUP] engine, is for the middle cubism motorbikes and that increasing the cubism to 742cc brings the motor to its limits. The subsequent heavier crankshaft, as well as the bigger piston and rod, result in reduced agility and increased vibrations for the engine

http://www.xrv650story.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129&Itemid=145

·
Registered
969 Posts
is that a quote from Alexander meerkat?
It has been broadly claimed, that the most effective use of the V-Twin 52[SUP]o[/SUP] engine, is for the middle cubism motorbikes

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into that article as it is poorly translated, much of the original meaning may have been lost. It misses out a few bikes which use the same engine. A touring bike called the Silverwing was around for a while. I had seen a CX500 touring version called the silvering many years ago, then saw the name revived on a bike similar to the Deauville. There is also the honda shadow series of factory customs, they use the same V twin engines, including a 400cc version which is also badged as the "steed".

I'm interested to see if anyone has built a hybrid bike, or even a hybrid engine. I know of someone who put a 650 transalp engine into a 400 Bros chassis. However I presume he could have just bought a 650 Bros (or Hawk) and saved himself the hardship of the task. I don't see the advantage of building that. If anything, a Hawk may have more top end power and a more sporty gearbox than an engine designed for off road & touring use.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has built a hybrid of engines, eg 650 bottom end with 750 barrels on same crank, or with a sporty gearbox cluster. Its always good to see what can be done.

I have mis-spent my youth trying to make various bikes go faster than their manufacturer intended. Whatever speed I gained was usually at the expense of reliability. I am now of an age where I dont want to be fixing my bike all the time, so if I want a bike that goes faster I'll buy a faster bike with a bigger engine, and leave it as the manufacturer intended. I'd get a tiger 1050, whilst its not a true offroader its tall (so am I) and more than fast enough for my abilities.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm interested to see if anyone has built a hybrid bike, or even a hybrid engine.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has built a hybrid of engines, eg 650 bottom end with 750 barrels on same crank, or with a sporty gearbox cluster. Its always good to see what can be done.
You may be interested in this thread where they put a n Africa Twin engine in a Transalp.

Africa Twin RD07a motor in a Transalp PD10? is it possible ? - ADVrider

The tone of the original article seem to talk as if it's an accepted fact and common knowledge that the Africa Twin engine is an over development,
Is it?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I thought the AT engine was better known for it's reliability and longevity: that hardly fits with it being over-developed.

50k miles on an AT is boringly common, and even 100k miles is not unusual. ATGreg in Oz has done over 300k (km I think) on his and there is a German chap who has done over 400k. If you reckon that the AT engine is spinning at roughly twice the revs of a car engine in most circumstances, that's (very simplistically) twice the total revolutions per mile. So a 300k miles bike has done the equivalent revs to a car with over half a million miles on the clock. An over-developed engine that vibrates a lot would surely have given trouble before then and 60bhp from a 750 is hardly over-stressed.

And how many cars with half a million miles on the clock can cruise at 80 on the Mway, get 50mpg, be able to ride off-road over most of Wales and go through 'puddles' 3 feet deep (ask BeddowsM)? If it is over-developed, they've done it pretty well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts