Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
You, you you.... shandydrinker You! :)

Now you have started me mulling on an 800xc!! Had not really looked at it before as I kinda assumed yet another triumph pocket rocket, yet the reviews are really very positive for the latest models.... On and off road ride reports seem really good.

Test ride coming up next week I feel, to see if it is comfortable. Found a loaded minter so I'll see if it's VAT eligible ;-)
Oops....

I can't recall the seating being cramped, the motor is sweet, they handle well but there is something about the triples that just don't excite me (only tried an 800xc and 1050 sprint).

Phil

sent from my 'phone

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Steve, you'll find the Tiger 800XC just as you have described, cramped and more race prone. If you moved the pegs on a Varadero you'll not be impressed with the Tiger! The pegs are higher and further back compared to the @T or Vara, giving it a sporty feel. I liked the seating position of it, liked the bike in general but would never have another new Triumph.
Many have had decent ones and some even have found a decent dealer so I wouldn't put anyone off the Tiger, I loved mine,,,, when it wasn't at the dealers, hence no more!
I well remember your trials and tribulations with the Tiger Jim, and the appalling "service" you received at the time from the local dealer. Crap was a mild word to describe matters... :mad:

I have read a couple of reports suggesting the the new 800xc is as roomy and comfortable, however, I am very sceptical of test reports from reporters who are fixated on race rep and sports bikes most of the time... :)

If i can get a bounce around on an xc, I will soon see what the ergonomics are like ;-)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Oops....

I can't recall the seating being cramped, the motor is sweet, they handle well but there is something about the triples that just don't excite me (only tried an 800xc and 1050 sprint).

QUOTE]

Interesting many reports praise the triple hugely and no doubt, they sound great! If you were not cramped that is a positive, but bear in mind I have seen you on that tiny little Honda..... :D

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Oops....

QUOTE]

Interesting many reports praise the triple hugely and no doubt, they sound great! If you were not cramped that is a positive, but bear in mind I have seen you on that tiny little Honda..... :D
Steve, don't mistake me, the 800 triple is a wonderful vibe free tractable motor. I can't quite put my finger on why they don't stir me, purely a personal thing - too sanitised maybe.

As for the nc30, now that does bring discomfort to new levels :sly:

sent from my 'phone

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
FWIW, just an update:

I have ridden a low miler 800GSA today and have now ruled out the 800GS brand as a future purchase, as I found that the engine vibes at anything above 4500RPM made the bike unacceptable to me for Motorway cruising... I am sure if the bike had a female pilot or pillion, they may well love the engine... :-D I want the ability to cruise at more than 65mph in relative comfort and free from too much engine intrusion vibes. As a back road and A road ride, great!!

The comfort seat on the GSA knocked spots off the plank on the standard bike and with an Airhawk fitted, it'd be good for a full days riding for the more ample proportioned amongst us. The extra power on the GSA was also noticeable, very perky indeed.

I have to say I was really, really disappointed, as the concept and design of the 800 GSA was for me, about perfect for my needs bar a couple of personal tweaks, it was all about the actuality of the bike! I noticed that several of the test reports mention this vibe issue yet others ignore it, so maybe some bikes are better than others, maybe just me. If I am spending £10k on a bike it wants to be right for me... :thumbup:

As I trundled home on a fast tickover on the "Mighty Vara" I reflected that as several have commented here recently, she may well be a keeper if I cannot find and all rounder adv for my needs.
The salesman (nice guy at Chester Motorad) tried hard to enthuse me about a 1200 GS but... it is a big old mutha and does not seem to bring a lot more to the party than the old Vara, albeit more off oradable as the weight is nice and low.

Back to the search...

·
Hill Rider
3,070 Posts
Shame the F8 didn't push your buttons :(

Vibes at 4.5k revs - ride through it man, ride through it :thumbup: Can't say as I notice vibes on mine. May have just "tuned" them out after over 16k miles on the beast :D

By the way, the engine output for the standard F8GS and the GSA are the same, so I don't know where you found the extra oomph from on the GSA!

Steve T

:cool:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)

Vibes at 4.5k revs - ride through it man, ride through it :thumbup: Can't say as I notice vibes on mine. May have just "tuned" them out after over 16k miles on the beast :D

By the way, the engine output for the standard F8GS and the GSA are the same, so I don't know where you found the extra oomph from on the GSA!

Steve T

:cool:

New GSA is 90hp apparently.... 5hp up.

On the vibes, riding through was not an option to me, at 5-6k rpm it felt like the family jewels were being deep massaged!! Not always what is wanted... :-D. Granted, not as bad as the Enfield Bullet 500 I rode before Christmas.... ;-)

I do wonder if the vibes go with bedding in or of some are worse than others?

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
I know what you mean about the seat. Sharron's 800 GS seat nearly crippled me, however the GSA seat is a much more comfy thing. I did 2.5k miles around France last year and it was fine.
I could do with a taller windscreen

Very Nice Bob

I called in at a local BMW dealer and they wouldn't let me test it off road but said I could have a 15 minute test ride on road!
My dealer let me have a test ride for most of the day and that was when it was the only GSA in Wales.
Very :thumbup:

As long as the sump mounting points on the latest model F8GS haven't changed from the original of course :rolleyes:
It's not the sump mounting posts that are the problem, make sure it clears the engine bars.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'd like to like it as well Steve, but agree with you, it's not really for me either. I didn't like the vibes, they dive as readily as a premier league football player and just don't light up my candles like the Tiger did. The Crosstourer is a stunning bike which does make me smile and being so silky smooth makes it a brilliant tourer so I'll stick with it meantime.
Glad to read your report Steve, glad I'm not the only one! I'd have hated to have settled for one to find it wasn't what I was looking for.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I had a long chat with the sales bod afterwards and I told him how disappointed I was that the bike had not met my personal expectations. I had built myself up to really want the GSA and what it would allow me to do after a purchase.... SPLAT! :-(

We both agreed, it happens... But better to have a test ride and find out, than buy then 2 months down the line decide it is not the bike and take a big financial hit ;-)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I'd like to like it as well Steve, but agree with you, it's not really for me either. I didn't like the vibes, they dive as readily as a premier league football player and just don't light up my candles like the Tiger did....

...I'd have hated to have settled for one to find it wasn't what I was looking for.
I think this sums my thoughts after a few hours of reflection, it was a close call 2 weeks ago when I could well have done a deal without a test ride, and then I would have felt a wee bit sick 3 weeks later when ! collected it...!!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Oops....

Phil

sent from my 'phone
Found Whealies excellent 800xc review tonight Here

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I'd like to like it as well Steve, but agree with you, it's not really for me either. I didn't like the vibes, they dive as readily as a premier league football player and just don't light up my candles like the Tiger did. The Crosstourer is a stunning bike which does make me smile and being so silky smooth makes it a brilliant tourer so I'll stick with it meantime.
Glad to read your report Steve, glad I'm not the only one! I'd have hated to have settled for one to find it wasn't what I was looking for.
I have not tested the new GSA but I have tested a few ordinary F8GS, and compared them to my own.
Some have more vibes then others, and mine became quite okey after around 8000 km.
It's only when speeding above 130 km/h that I notice vibrations.

The Front dive when braking was cured by installing Ohlins springs up front, a BIG improvement.

The seat is hard, but I'm still used to Africa Twin seats so that's okey.
I have three different seats, the original, a low and a comfort seat all from BMW, and they are
about the same when it comes to comfort.

Only points so far that I do not like is the rims that are made out of German Cottage Cheese, and the gearbox.
Gearbox it self is okey, but the gearing leaves somewhat to desire.
I would have liked a higher top gear, and more spread between the others.
Now it's like a close ratio gearbox.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have not tested the new GSA but I have tested a few ordinary F8GS, and compared them to my own.
Some have more vibes then others, and mine became quite okey after around 8000 km.
It's only when speeding above 130 km/h that I notice vibrations.

The Front dive when braking was cured by installing Ohlins springs up front, a BIG improvement.

Only points so far that I do not like is the rims that are made out of German Cottage Cheese, and the gearbox.
Gearbox it self is okey, but the gearing leaves somewhat to desire.
I would have liked a higher top gear, and more spread between the others.
Now it's like a close ratio gearbox.
Cheers Kjell!

Again you mention that some bikes are more vibey than others....

I found the gearbox to be a very sweet easy one, but I agree about the gearing, why makers produce get a lightweight 80-90hp twin with lots of torque that is matched to a gearbox that is NOT a close ratio race box???? Low first gear please for trickling speeds and off road, then a sensible spread of ratios to 5th, then 6th to be a proper main road cruiser gear.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Steve, stop pratting about.

Go buy a 990 :)

Phil

sent from my 'phone
I know, I know :-D

Can't find an ex demo or new bike now, I have left it too late :-(

Stupid really, there were loads of good deals before Xmas, all gone now.... However, the funds were not available then.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I know, I know :-D

Can't find an ex demo or new bike now, I have left it too late :-(

Stupid really, there were loads of good deals before Xmas, all gone now.... However, the funds were not available then.
What about that 'minter for 4k' on ebay?
Weren't you tempted to wire money via a nigerian bank account to secure it?!

sent from my 'phone

21 - 40 of 64 Posts