Honda XRV Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Steve, stop pratting about.

Go buy a 990 :)
Went to Colwyn Bay last Tuesday and rode a 990 at last for more than a run around the block.

Loved it to bits!! Big smile and happy thoughts..... Trail bike handling with THAT motor! :D

But not for me, as I came away far from convinced I would want to tour very far on it. Just a bit to far to the edge maybe? If I could afford 2 bikes at that capacity, it would be here in my farm shed now....

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Finding what you want is hard, I know, I've been there for yrs!

I've tried smaller, larger, everything in between. To get the pipe & slippers comfort you want I reckon you are going to have to admit the 1200GS is the bike for you. It has the comfort, room, economy you are looking for. If like me, you've tried it,,, yer fecked! I tried a couple, just couldn't like them. The high up weight, gargantuan size and the weight just didn't do it for me!
Now, the VFR1200X Crosstourer is something else! I know it's a lot of money, and sportier feel to it than the Vara so probably not for you but,,,, I love it! The power is intoxicating. I've done a few hundred miles on tracks with it and it handles the dirt well, yes I know it isn't a Moto cross bike but yer CR 250 doesn't break every speed limit in the UK in 2nd gear! Or get there in under 4 seconds!
Horses for courses, I love speed and power. It all handles sublimely, and with 50mpg I'll stick with what I have.

Best of luck to you mate, finding perfection is very hard! I'll keep my Crosstourer another year as it is a beautful buke to ride and will see what the future brings.

Last words of wisdom,,,,, I've been looking at the new VStrom 1000, hmmmmm,,,, I could be tempted! Lovely!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I know you love your Crosstourer Jim, and the salesman was VERY persuasive indeed and if it wasn't for the fact I needed to be back home, I would have had a ride. they had an ex-demo CT Highlander (I think) at a cracking price, ex demo and fully loaded... The Vara is nice, but does lack that bit of zip...

Probably a good job I refused his kind offer, else I might be divorced by now ;-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
My wife has the 800 GS and what a great bike, she rides it very gently and gets over 70 MPG, it is so well balanced but I have to say that I do not like riding it. She had the touring screen fitted but at 6'2" the buffeting is awful. I also have to whole heartedly agree that the GS lacks the soul of a V Twin. Horses for courses and all that.

"The best thing to do when it's raining is let it rain" Longfellow

61 - 64 of 64 Posts