Honda XRV Forum banner
22K views 63 replies 13 participants last post by  ronb 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally found a dry day and some time to bugger off and get the test ride on a 800GS in Wolverhampton I have had earmarked for 2 weeks, I did about 45-50 miles of M/way, Fast A road, country windy, and too much town work. Cracking sunny day too :-D

First impression after the Vara, was that I had jumped on a 250 trailie, so light and nimble I could put in a backpack and carry it with me....
Engine picked up nicely and it seemed sure footed in the traffic lights GP. Seat was urk! Footrest/seat layout was as expected, cramped, and no good for me, but that can be engineered out :)

Trundled out to the M54 and the problems started, buffeting was bad, but fair enough, I am used to a barn door screen, but the seat got worse and the vibes at about 4500rpm when I got to m'way speed of around 75 was horrible, I could feel numb-bum syndrome creeping in after 6-7 miles. Came off the m'way and had a blast up to the A5, much more like it... pick-up is super and handling solid and non scarey, not as planted as 250kg of Vara, but there you go... ;)

The seat got to be more of a PITA as I went on, but I dealt with the footpeg issue. Back roads it was pure trailie, an absolute hoot!

Back into Wolvo and I delivered it back to Benhams.

Very confused now.... I really loved the concept and idea of the bike (as was promised by SteveT and Stanbloke), but the loss of true touring ability without spending £5-600 minimum to make the bike vaguely suitable annoys me.... I wanted a modern TA or AT, but.....

I've have looked at a BMW Rallye seat that is the enduro seat that raises the seat height by 50-60mm but has "comfort issues" as it appears to be very narrow and hard too. BMW also sell their "comfort" seat at around 300 quid, but why should I have to buy a seat that enable the bike to be ridden comfortably? ;) I have used an Airhawk for years, but the Beemer standard seat is too narrow for it!

The 800GSA answers some of the questions with a better seat and layout, but is as wide as a bus!

Decisions, decisions!! Probably go and ride a GSA 800 in the next week.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Fair do's to you Steve for having a go on the machine and letting us know your thoughts and feelings (of the ar#e kind ;))

Seat wise, just buy the cropped version I've got sitting in the shed and get it tailored to your needs for less than £200 - SIMPLES :D

I still reckon Stans comparison of the F8GS after his test ride is the best description- Like a Super-Moto compared to the 990 Adventure :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

#6 ·
Fair do's to you Steve for having a go on the machine and letting us know your thoughts and feelings (of the ar#e kind ;))

Seat wise, just buy the cropped version I've got sitting in the shed and get it tailored to your need for less than £200 - SIMPLES :D

I still reckon Stans comparison of the F8GS after his test ride is the best description- Like a Super-Moto compared to the 990 Adventure :thumbup:

Steve T

I was wondering on a rebuild seat I have to say, a flat, wide middle with good foam ;-)

Yeah, I see what he means about "super moto" the way it rides and will tuck into a corner and then pick itself up out on the throttle... :-D

I have a got a few weeks if necessary to try both before I had to move the Vara on in the warmer weather.

#3 ·
The 800GSA answers some of the questions with a better seat and layout, but is as wide as a bus!

Decisions, decisions!! Probably go and ride a GSA 800 in the next week.

The 800GSA convinced me!!

I've done just over 3000 miles on mine; all work mileage, in and out of London, and I'm pretty sure I love it.

Economy is excellent, 54-57mpg in town, so I'd expect better on a run (if I ever get a chance to do one) especially as the engine loosens up.

I'm really happy with the comfort and handling, although I do have a few minor, possibly picky, grumbles.

1) The engine just does a job (very well) but lacks the soul of a V twin. It is a bit zingey sometimes.
2) The screen isn't that good, and could possibly be a pain on a long run (I'll find out one day)
3) The heated grips could be a bit hotter
4) It's a pain in the ar$e to clean, compared to every other bike I've owned (especially the AT)
5) The BMW topbox is a bit on the small side, but is still a nice bit of kit.

I have the 800GSA Travel edition, and ticked all the options apart from the sat-nav.

I've found the ABS and Traction control to be a bit intrusive a couple of times, but I'd still have them. Comfort is spot on, gizmo's are nice, especially the computer with range, economy, etc. A fuel guage (yippee!), luggage that fits and don't rattle (yet!)

I couldn't wait any longer for Honda to produce a bike like this, so I bought a BMW; it's that simple!!!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

I am son of Vader!!!!

Bob :thumbup:

#10 · (Edited)
The 800GSA convinced me!!

I've done just over 3000 miles on mine; all work mileage, in and out of London, and I'm pretty sure I love it.

Economy is excellent, 54-57mpg in town, so I'd expect better on a run (if I ever get a chance to do one) especially as the engine loosens up.

I'm really happy with the comfort and handling, although I do have a few minor, possibly picky, grumbles.

1) The engine just does a job (very well) but lacks the soul of a V twin. It is a bit zingey sometimes.
2) The screen isn't that good, and could possibly be a pain on a long run (I'll find out one day)
3) The heated grips could be a bit hotter
4) It's a pain in the ar$e to clean, compared to every other bike I've owned (especially the AT)
5) The BMW topbox is a bit on the small side, but is still a nice bit of kit.

I have the 800GSA Travel edition, and ticked all the options apart from the sat-nav.

I've found the ABS and Traction control to be a bit intrusive a couple of times, but I'd still have them. Comfort is spot on, gizmo's are nice, especially the computer with range, economy, etc. A fuel guage (yippee!), luggage that fits and don't rattle (yet!)

I couldn't wait any longer for Honda to produce a bike like this, so I bought a BMW; it's that simple!!!
That bike is far too clean!!!!

Some top points Bob, I note your comment about the "zingey" engine, very different to a big V I agree.

You went for the Beemer luggage I see, gotta say i thought it didn't half make the bike wide for town work. D'ya find it an issue commuting?

How do you find the big step in the seat, I am always wary of such a backstop as i find it can stopp those important stretches if the bike is at all cramped, how tall are you?? :)

I have a deal available on a GSA Travel that looks very good indeed, but I know 3 GSA's ex demo, I had been watching that have gone in the past week! Spring is coming.

I am son of Vader!!!!

Bob :thumbup:
NO!!!!!

#4 ·
Very Nice Bob

I called in at a local BMW dealer and they wouldn't let me test it off road but said I could have a 15 minute test ride on road!

#8 ·
Means sods, the dealer network probably distributes phots around the country like Pubs do for Bad Boys in a town.... NO TEST RIDES!! ;)

#17 ·
The 990 is still the "dream machine" for me Phil, but a touch of common sense (again!) said look long and hard at the GS.... To be honest, I really want the big lardy Vara AND a smaller lighter ADV bike but I suspect wifely pressure may be less than happy... If the weather was not so crap, I would go and have a ride on the GSA today.

To me ALL the Triiumphs I have had a bounce on seem really cramped, a tucked up sports bike attack position is forced on you! The local dealers had a late model Tiger and I thought it was for a 5footer, not a big, overweight farmer ;-)

#20 ·
Steve, you'll find the Tiger 800XC just as you have described, cramped and more race prone. If you moved the pegs on a Varadero you'll not be impressed with the Tiger! The pegs are higher and further back compared to the @T or Vara, giving it a sporty feel. I liked the seating position of it, liked the bike in general but would never have another new Triumph.
Many have had decent ones and some even have found a decent dealer so I wouldn't put anyone off the Tiger, I loved mine,,,, when it wasn't at the dealers, hence no more!

#22 ·
I well remember your trials and tribulations with the Tiger Jim, and the appalling "service" you received at the time from the local dealer. Crap was a mild word to describe matters... :mad:

I have read a couple of reports suggesting the the new 800xc is as roomy and comfortable, however, I am very sceptical of test reports from reporters who are fixated on race rep and sports bikes most of the time... :)

If i can get a bounce around on an xc, I will soon see what the ergonomics are like ;-)

#26 ·
FWIW, just an update:

I have ridden a low miler 800GSA today and have now ruled out the 800GS brand as a future purchase, as I found that the engine vibes at anything above 4500RPM made the bike unacceptable to me for Motorway cruising... I am sure if the bike had a female pilot or pillion, they may well love the engine... :-D I want the ability to cruise at more than 65mph in relative comfort and free from too much engine intrusion vibes. As a back road and A road ride, great!!

The comfort seat on the GSA knocked spots off the plank on the standard bike and with an Airhawk fitted, it'd be good for a full days riding for the more ample proportioned amongst us. The extra power on the GSA was also noticeable, very perky indeed.

I have to say I was really, really disappointed, as the concept and design of the 800 GSA was for me, about perfect for my needs bar a couple of personal tweaks, it was all about the actuality of the bike! I noticed that several of the test reports mention this vibe issue yet others ignore it, so maybe some bikes are better than others, maybe just me. If I am spending £10k on a bike it wants to be right for me... :thumbup:

As I trundled home on a fast tickover on the "Mighty Vara" I reflected that as several have commented here recently, she may well be a keeper if I cannot find and all rounder adv for my needs.
The salesman (nice guy at Chester Motorad) tried hard to enthuse me about a 1200 GS but... it is a big old mutha and does not seem to bring a lot more to the party than the old Vara, albeit more off oradable as the weight is nice and low.

Back to the search...

#50 · (Edited)
FWIW, just an update:

I have ridden a low miler 800GSA today and have now ruled out the 800GS brand as a future purchase, as I found that the engine vibes at anything above 4500RPM made the bike unacceptable to me for Motorway cruising... I am sure if the bike had a female pilot or pillion, they may well love the engine... :-D I want the ability to cruise at more than 65mph in relative comfort and free from too much engine intrusion vibes.
This has been a great thread with loads of good and knowledgeable input from all over the place:thumbup:

I have since had a look on't net to see if I being a Moaning-Minnie about these vibes and I have found a fair numberor posts on adv and the GS forums complaining or commenting about the vibe issue at around the exact RPM area I found. ie main road cruising speed, 4.5-5.5K RPM.

Several have experimented (and that is what it was in most cases!!) with extra bar weights, different tyres, filling bars with silicon, exhaust and footpeg mods, altering gearing to give a taller top gear and in most cases, the problem may have been reduced but has not gone away.

It is all down to the vertical twin motor and the inherent vibey nature of the engines as I thought was the case, and there is bugger all that can really be done about it except live with it, or as several reports commented, trade it in ;-)

Question: Can Mr Honda make a big parallel twin that has little of no vibes....?

#27 ·
Shame the F8 didn't push your buttons :(

Vibes at 4.5k revs - ride through it man, ride through it :thumbup: Can't say as I notice vibes on mine. May have just "tuned" them out after over 16k miles on the beast :D

By the way, the engine output for the standard F8GS and the GSA are the same, so I don't know where you found the extra oomph from on the GSA!

Steve T

#28 · (Edited)
New GSA is 90hp apparently.... 5hp up.

On the vibes, riding through was not an option to me, at 5-6k rpm it felt like the family jewels were being deep massaged!! Not always what is wanted... :-D. Granted, not as bad as the Enfield Bullet 500 I rode before Christmas.... ;-)

I do wonder if the vibes go with bedding in or of some are worse than others?

#30 ·
I'd like to like it as well Steve, but agree with you, it's not really for me either. I didn't like the vibes, they dive as readily as a premier league football player and just don't light up my candles like the Tiger did. The Crosstourer is a stunning bike which does make me smile and being so silky smooth makes it a brilliant tourer so I'll stick with it meantime.
Glad to read your report Steve, glad I'm not the only one! I'd have hated to have settled for one to find it wasn't what I was looking for.

#32 · (Edited)
I'd like to like it as well Steve, but agree with you, it's not really for me either. I didn't like the vibes, they dive as readily as a premier league football player and just don't light up my candles like the Tiger did....

...I'd have hated to have settled for one to find it wasn't what I was looking for.
I think this sums my thoughts after a few hours of reflection, it was a close call 2 weeks ago when I could well have done a deal without a test ride, and then I would have felt a wee bit sick 3 weeks later when ! collected it...!!

#38 ·
I know, I know :-D

Can't find an ex demo or new bike now, I have left it too late :-(

Stupid really, there were loads of good deals before Xmas, all gone now.... However, the funds were not available then.

#41 ·
#43 ·
Cheers

Tempting, but I reckon the 1190 is not bringing much (for me) to the table. My aim is/was to find a modern day AT, though possibly a bit more accomplished on the M'way at speed.

Dunno if it's achievable, but its fun looking, testing and discussing here anyway :)

Sent from my Tablet with a cra* keyboard, which is my excuse for the typo errors!!

#44 ·
Changing bikes is an issue for many of us. I moved from my 990 to the 800gs and it felt strange at first. The problem i think is " muscle memory", your body and brain have gotten used to the vara and now your brain has to reset to a new set of postions for feet/ bum/ hands etc.

The BMW comfort seat is worth every penny Steve, and you will get used to the engine ( i came from a big angry Vtwin :D:D) it just takes a little time and a bit of mileage.:thumb:

#46 · (Edited)
I think that I need to get and grab a ride a ride on a second hand bike with a few miles on it to see if the vibes disappear with a few miles under the belt, Stan ;) The gsa had the comfort seat fitted, so that was not an issue.

The ergonomics can been sorted, albeit needing a few bob to been spent...

IKWYM about new bikes... or cars a gun or anything! They take time, but I feel I have been around long enough take a balanced look at a new toy :D

As I said the search itself is fun.

Sent from my Tablet with a cra* keyboard, which is my excuse for the typo errors!!

#51 ·
Truth be told Steve, irrespective of what anyone says be it in person or over the internet, if you tune into the vibes & don't like them, they will become a major issue. You may be able to tolerate or they may ruin your enjoyment.

Find a bike that gives you a buzz & makes you smile from the off;)

Phil

sent from my 'phone

#53 ·
A solution to my moaning? :D

http://www.motorcyclegelpad.co.uk/index.html

I was chatting to Gordon May at the Classic off road show today, and while I was looking at his book store and I mentioned "bikes and vibes" and out of the blue was shown these pads. He reckoned that when fitted on top of a seat, it killed vibration and tingle!!

#62 ·
Finding what you want is hard, I know, I've been there for yrs!

I've tried smaller, larger, everything in between. To get the pipe & slippers comfort you want I reckon you are going to have to admit the 1200GS is the bike for you. It has the comfort, room, economy you are looking for. If like me, you've tried it,,, yer fecked! I tried a couple, just couldn't like them. The high up weight, gargantuan size and the weight just didn't do it for me!
Now, the VFR1200X Crosstourer is something else! I know it's a lot of money, and sportier feel to it than the Vara so probably not for you but,,,, I love it! The power is intoxicating. I've done a few hundred miles on tracks with it and it handles the dirt well, yes I know it isn't a Moto cross bike but yer CR 250 doesn't break every speed limit in the UK in 2nd gear! Or get there in under 4 seconds!
Horses for courses, I love speed and power. It all handles sublimely, and with 50mpg I'll stick with what I have.

Best of luck to you mate, finding perfection is very hard! I'll keep my Crosstourer another year as it is a beautful buke to ride and will see what the future brings.

Last words of wisdom,,,,, I've been looking at the new VStrom 1000, hmmmmm,,,, I could be tempted! Lovely!

#63 ·
I know you love your Crosstourer Jim, and the salesman was VERY persuasive indeed and if it wasn't for the fact I needed to be back home, I would have had a ride. they had an ex-demo CT Highlander (I think) at a cracking price, ex demo and fully loaded... The Vara is nice, but does lack that bit of zip...

Probably a good job I refused his kind offer, else I might be divorced by now ;-)

#64 ·
My wife has the 800 GS and what a great bike, she rides it very gently and gets over 70 MPG, it is so well balanced but I have to say that I do not like riding it. She had the touring screen fitted but at 6'2" the buffeting is awful. I also have to whole heartedly agree that the GS lacks the soul of a V Twin. Horses for courses and all that.

"The best thing to do when it's raining is let it rain" Longfellow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.