Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I just recently bought a good condition 1986 XR250R.

Before I go all crazy with upgrading n modifying the lights etc, I realy need to know how many amps the charging system puts out! I've scoured the net looking for the info for several hours to no avail.
Can't even seem to find a service manual etc!

Also, from everything I've read, in 86 they changed over to a single carb, yet this one has dual carbs...??

One further question, the guy I bought the bike from sold it cuz he got an 85 xr350r... the problem with the bike is its a pain to restart once its warmed up.. not so bad when cold.. could tuis be somethjng due to the decomp mechanism? (I was thinking this only because I know sum people with the klx250 adjust thier timing, and if they don't move/adjust the decomp then they hav a near impossible time starting it when hot..)

I'm sure there's other things I'm curious about, like trying to find some fold down mirrors for when I'm out on the trails in the bush etc, but those are the main things I need to know for now.

Tuanks for any help in advance!

~L~

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
942 Posts
that looks like a xl250r not a xr250 to me,which would explain the twin carbs the xl kept the twin carb setup a couple of years after the xr had switched to single carb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm pretty sure it was registerd as an xr, guess ill hav to get the vin checked? Also dont the xl's have an electric starter? This one doesn't...???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just anotger pic from the other side.. maybe itll help.. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It very much looks that way doesn't it! I'm hopefully goin to go for a ride today, maybe bring the bike home.. (its at the inlaws 30mins away)
Got some rockets to fire off for the kids too sometime today as well.. lol

But ill have a good look at it n get the vin n stuff..

Thanks for the info!

(Also any idea what the electrical power output is on the charging system either way?) Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nick, you're indeed correct! It is an XL250R!
I mentioned it to the guy I bought it off of n he was loke, "yeah, its an xl.."

I dnt know why I thought it was an xr instead. Noobness to tgese bikes I guess!

N here I gound my confirmation, rigt beside the date:

Thanks for the replies n tge heads up, just got back from a 54.5km ride down the iron horse!

Guess I better get outta the xr forum n over into the xl area... maybe I can find out why I don't have an electric starter! Lol

Laters,
~L~

EDIT: I wonder if I could take the front wheel or forks etc n convert to front disk brake using xr parts.. I mean tgese bikes have basically thecsame frame engine n everything right??
Hmm..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts