Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have not rejoined the club again since I sold my XR400R last year but will do soon as I am now a Tranalp owner.

Honda Transalp 600V-J 1989. Blue/White. 5000 miles.

I have known this bike from new and the owner last rode it in 1999. It had been stood in his garage since then and I have been trying to get it since 2004. Eventually he relented.
I made the cardinal error of not seeing the bike before buying (busy/lazy git,he only lives 4 miles from me) and was dissapointed to see how badly it has faired in storage for a Honda.

GOLD RIMS FLAKING.
SPOKES RUSTED
FRAME DOWNTUBE RUSTY
BOTTOM YOKE RUSTY
REAR SUBFRAME CORROSION WHERE PLASTICS CHAFE
SWINGARM RUSTY
FORK GAITERS GONE SO BRITTLE YOU CAN SNAP

I will post some photos when I rejoin but at the moment I am unsure as to whether do a a light restoration and ride in summer or to bite the bullet and do a proper job to standard.
Yesterday I removed the body work, flushed the fuel tank,fitted a new battery/oil and filter. It started ok and sounds fine, ticks over ok but has a slight hestitation if the throttle is snapped open. A good run once mot`d may cure this.

I am thinking of BT45 for mainly road riding (will do the rims with Hammerite gold spray and fit s/steel spokes).

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi All,
I have not rejoined the club again since I sold my XR400R last year but will do soon as I am now a Tranalp owner.

Honda Transalp 600V-J 1989. Blue/White. 5000 miles.

I have known this bike from new and the owner last rode it in 1999. It had been stood in his garage since then and I have been trying to get it since 2004. Eventually he relented.
I made the cardinal error of not seeing the bike before buying (busy/lazy git,he only lives 4 miles from me) and was dissapointed to see how badly it has faired in storage for a Honda.

GOLD RIMS FLAKING.
SPOKES RUSTED
FRAME DOWNTUBE RUSTY
BOTTOM YOKE RUSTY
REAR SUBFRAME CORROSION WHERE PLASTICS CHAFE
SWINGARM RUSTY
FORK GAITERS GONE SO BRITTLE YOU CAN SNAP

I will post some photos when I rejoin but at the moment I am unsure as to whether do a a light restoration and ride in summer or to bite the bullet and do a proper job to standard.
Yesterday I removed the body work, flushed the fuel tank,fitted a new battery/oil and filter. It started ok and sounds fine, ticks over ok but has a slight hestitation if the throttle is snapped open. A good run once mot`d may cure this.

I am thinking of BT45 for mainly road riding (will do the rims with Hammerite gold spray and fit s/steel spokes).

Good luck sorting it out ---- just make sure the rims are sound enough to rebuild:thumb:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi All,

GOLD RIMS FLAKING.

SWINGARM RUSTY
From what you say about the rims flaking... if they are flakeing visably on the outside, then basically they are fooked.... cos they rot from the inside out.... as I found out with my rear wheel when the rim started having corrosion patches (see pics below)

All I would say is "Good luck" finding a replacment wheel for the Alp with a Drum brake hub... as I ended up doing the rear end conversion to a disk brake rear.

If however you stay with the drum at the rear, then let me know, as I still have my swingarm that I took off mine which is in good nick, and could help replace yours which is rusty.

If your front wheel is also corroded, then again, let me know, as although my rear wheel had gone, the front is still ok. I only have the rim left for the front as the rest of the wheel has been sold already, but the rim is still here and shows very very very little signs of corrosion, which could easily be treated and re-built to give you a good wheel again.

Just to say that all the parts I have spare are off my '88 Alp, XL600V-H, so should be a perfect fit for yours...

Let me know if you want anything, as the other half is getting fed up with all the bike bits I have lying around so will be putting them on Ebay soon (and I do have a few other bit's and peices for this Alp lying around).

Titch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi All,

GOLD RIMS FLAKING.

I am thinking of BT45 for mainly road riding

Hi

If you do need a replacement rear wheel, I have a drum brake one here. No corrosion and has a bt045 tyre with less than 500 miles already fitted to it.

CM

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that guys, sorry about the late reply but things are very busy.

I think both rims will be salvagable as the corrosion is very slight (about 100 times less than your picture, what happened to Hondas build quality!).

I would be very interested in the swingarm though and the rear wheel and rim are a possibility.

Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Swingarm could be yours for £35 inc postage, and just let me know about the front rim, not sure about the price for this so have a look around and let me know what you think...

Titch:blob:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts