Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
XRV750P RD07 1993
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day one and all.
Some advise, or abuse what ever floats your boat, please. I have tried searching back as far as history allows but nothing specific to my dilema.
Just got the bike and not happy with the front end so have removed the forks, drained the oil ( mostly grey metalic), and found a single spring in each. According to the manual there should be 2 springs. I am hoping that a previous owner has had progressive springs fitted because that's what they look like.
The questions are:
Any way of identifying the springs, I have looked but can't see anything?
Would the oil level/weight change?
Are the tight coils supposed to be at the top or bottom, found at the bottom?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I think they will be progressive springs and small coils go to the top. I would use thinker oil than standard and give it a try. Africa twins do dive a bit on sudden braking and to eliminate this you may have to spend quite a bit of money.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Check here for info on the drop in Ricor or Racetech upgrades. I run them and I am quite happy with the results.

·
Registered
XRV750P RD07 1993
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. After many hours surfing I replaced the oil to the standard air gap using ATF ( I had a new can lying around), put the springs around the correct way, installed fork tube extenders and tried them.
200% improvement in damping, just need to get the geometry correct for off road not just road.
For those that know, is it possible to calculate how much difference extending the rear shock by 5mm would make to the rear end height? I can then push the fork tubes through to compensate. I have done 15mm but that is the limit of the centre stand with both tyres being on the ground but It feels like it needs more.
Thanks in advance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts