Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(I posted this on UKGSer,to answer a few GSers queries about the Uly)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just been on my GS for the first time after 1,300 miles on my Buell Ulysses

Since I bought my Buell Ulysses,I`ve had a few PM`s from UKGSers curious to know what it`s like in comparison with a GS...and also what it`s like to live with.

Today`s ride to work gave cause for this bit of comparison.....

I got home from my Stella Alpina trip on my R1100GS on the 12th July,washed and polished the GS then put it in the garage and hooked it up to its Optimate.

Since then,the only one of my solos I`ve ridden has been the Ulysses.

I bought it a couple of days before my Stella trip,so since coming home I have done the 'break in' 500 miles and then added another 500 miles for the 1000 mile free service last week.

In all,it`s done just over 1,300 miles now.

However,today,I decided to go to work on my GS for a change.

Feck me....what a difference.

It felt like sitting on a very heavy lowrider chop fitted with apehangers

The seat height gave the impression of there not actually being a seat,and me sitting on the frame rails.
The seat to peg distance made me feel like my knees were around my head.
The bike`s weight was a shock......it felt like a 2-up Ulysses.
An unladen Ulysses,by comparison,feels like a GS with no engine in it.
The bar height really did feel like a set of apehangers,and combined with the steering which felt rather slow,though secure,the whole experience was exactly like how I remember my old naked GL1100 Goldwing from the `80`s.
Once underway,I was struck by how the previously thought be very powerful brakes felt inadequate,and I couldn`t believe these differences.....

Mind you,you only have to look at the Ulysses to tell how it will differ...

The fork angle is pretty steep and the wheelbase is quite short.
The front wheel is a 17 incher,adding to the quick steering.
The rider is placed more over the front end.
The seat height is so different that I need the low seat option to get the balls of my feet on the ground,whereas my GS one is on the highest setting and even then I get both feet flat on the ground.

Looking won`t prepare you for the differences in power characteristics and brakes though.

The Ulysses is always ready to rip...always wants to be set loose...and although it can be ridden sensibly and sanely,you`re going from third to fourth gear all the time at 40mph or lower,and it really doesn`t want to be going less than 50mph.
Throttle response is quicker and more direct than on the GS.
Although there`s only one front disc,it feels more powerful to me than my GS on Carbon Lorraine pads (which are more powerful than others I`ve used on it).

To ride,the Ulysses seems to view straight roads as an inconvenience between bends that it just about tolerates....there`s feeling of impatience as it waits to attack another set of bends....bends which I find I am taking faster and with far less effort than on the GS .
The Ulysses was bought for fun factor...to wheel out and go for a blast on it, maybe the odd weekend away with a tailpack fitted....and this is the sort of thing I can see it excelling at.

I don`t think I`d want to stick a pair of panniers and a top box on the Ulysses,load them up and do a typical 3,000 - 4,500 fortnight with a pillion.....that would totally destroy the feeling of the bike,and I even wonder if it would feel like hard work on a relatively light and quick steering bike.

That sort of thing is GS domain...and why I`ve kept my GS`s.

A couple of cold facts to finish...

The Buell rider seat is comfy for pretty much all day...there`s not even the 'first shuffle' until about 250 miles.

The pillion is comfier than the 1100GS but it`s a bit trickier getting aboard because of the higher seat....even trickier if you use the 3 position 'Triple Tail' as a pillion backrest.

The restriced steering lock on the Ulysses compared to the GS is a nuisance in tight garage space manoeuvres or on the likes of KevinC`s drive :)( ) but not a problem when out on the road.

If you fit a Hein Gericke handlebar brace bag...as beloved by most GSers.. you`ll struggle to remove the Buell filler cap...if you can manage it at all.
(DAMHIK :confused: ;) )

The 'low fuel' light comes on between 130 and 160 miles.

The Ulysses is averaging 45mpg up to now.

Oh...and the Ulysses is totally addictive and big fun :thumb:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a few replies,I added this bit of extra information......

Anyone going for a test ride should make sure that both seat height options are available,because with the stock seat I literally could only get the very tips of my toes on the ground,and combined with that limited steering lock I felt that there was a definate chance of an expensive tip-over likely at any tight manouevre....also,it made paddling backwards very difficult.

The factory low seat option transformed not only these situations but also improved the actual riding postion so much that it was the deal clincher for me.

The rear cylinder has a cooling fan which blows hot air at your inner right thigh and crotch,which mightn`t be the best thing to happen in a heat wave,but the fan doesn`t come on quite as much once the bike is run-in and more miles have been covered.
It`s not that often we have a heatwave,so I wasn`t put off by the fan or its heat output,and it`ll be a very welcome feature in our far more common colder weather....the Ulysses may be the ultimate winter bike with central heating
Apparently,adding an optional right hand side air scoop to match the left one reduces the fan`s operation drastically.

Hey Steptoe....good comment about them being totally different bikes...but there`s one major area where the Ulysses is exactly like a GS....

The headlights are shite :D :D

First purchase,even before the de rigeur Buell fitment of a noisy exhaust,is going to be a pair of aftermarket lamps (or a HID conversion,but I think the main problem is the lamp reflectors).

I felt a bit more accustomed to my GS on the way home from work this morning,but it still felt like my old GL1100 weight and performance wise....:(

Thought it may be worth posting here on XRV.org,as a few folk have been interested.

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
.......The rear cylinder has a cooling fan which blows hot air at your inner right thigh and crotch,which mightn`t be the best thing to happen in a heat wave,but the fan doesn`t come on quite as much once the bike is run-in and more miles have been covered.......
cheers for the write up, very useful, and I still want a Uly or a GS!. Addressing a couple of your comments, the 08 model has a duct to channel the hot air away from your thigh and crotch now, also improved steering lock :)

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
cheers for the write up, very useful, and I still want a Uly or a GS!. Addressing a couple of your comments, the 08 model has a duct to channel the hot air away from your thigh and crotch now, also improved steering lock :)
Abingdon under Thames!........ I like that :D :D :D :D :D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
so what your saying tarks is as a funster its the dogs danglys:cool: but if your going to be doing some proper touring the GS cuts it just a bit better...a damm good comparison mate

how would you say the belt drive would handle the odd gravel track etc.....is it still a belt drive???

what is its power output compared to the GS

when you get your lights fitted post some pics :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
how would you say the belt drive would handle the odd gravel track etc.....is it still a belt drive???

Yep it`s still a belt......but the Ulysses has a 'lifetime belt' with no recommended service life.
The belt is effectively totally shrouded to protect from stones and other cack if you do offroad it.
They tested the belt on a rig that fired ball bearings into the driveline for 24 hours non stop and had no trouble.
It`s cheap and easy enough to change if the worst does happen anyway.

what is its power output compared to the GS

Ulysses is 103hp at 6800rpm and 84ft/lbs torque at 6000rpm.

What`s not measured is the strong as feck midrange urge and long legged 'gallop' due to the undersquare bore/stroke dimensions of 88.90mm x 96..82mm.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Yep it`s still a belt......but the Ulysses has a 'lifetime belt' with no recommended service life.
The belt is effectively totally shrouded to protect from stones and other cack if you do offroad it.
They tested the belt on a rig that fired ball bearings into the driveline for 24 hours non stop and had no trouble.
It`s cheap and easy enough to change if the worst does happen anyway.

Ulysses is 103hp at 6800rpm and 84ft/lbs torque at 6000rpm.

What`s not measured is the strong as feck midrange urge and long legged 'gallop' due to the undersquare bore/stroke dimensions of 88.90mm x 96..82mm.
all that from an old harley sportser lump is impressive :cool: but i wonder how long it will take them to lever the new rotax Vtwin they built for the sports bike....that would lower its weight quite a bit:eek: :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts