Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...coming most likely from the chain under moderate accellerating. It sounds as if the chain is vibrating on its sprockets (my grandpa's false teeth while eating an apple sprang to mind, it is that sort of sound).
I have checked the chain's tension which is perfectly fine. If the chain wasn't only 4000 miles old and Scott-oiled I would think the thing was worn. But it may very well be anyway :oops: I remember somebody said here (was it xrv_jim?) that the OE chain is a piece of rubbish and I strongly suspect I have one on mine, but even low quality chains should do better than this? Strangely the O-rings on the non-Scott-oiled side of the chain look rather thin and worn, while the others look like new. (I run the oiler quite generously btw). Also the chain got quite rusty on both of the outsides, being out of reach of the Scott-oiler but not of the winter-grime. The chain is a lot looser on the sprockets too, although not yet as bad as the one I replace last November. It needed more regular tension adjustments than I expected too.

So what do you experts think? Trash the chain before it destroys the sprockets? Should I get myself that Dual Injector for the Scott oiler and / or still use chain-wax every now and then?
Or does anyone recognise this noise as a completely different horror-event that will soon shake and plunder my bank-account? Or is this just "normal" practice for certain chains?
Thanks for your thoughts. :wink:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Have you re-adjusted the chain recently? Your chain may be just too tight. :idea:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the "7 cm stick method" as can be found on http://www.atic.org/faq/chain.html which leaves the chain rather loose. I also double-check by actually sitting on the bike and feeling if the chain is still not too tight, trying out 5 or 6 different points (in case there are tight spots). But maybe this 7 cm setting actually sets it too loose and provokes quicker chain wear? I just don't know. Start to dislike chains, me. :? Why not infra-red transmisson, works perfectly fine on the remote control too :lol:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've used that method too, but at the end just adjusted the chain to a tightness when it doesn't feel slack and it doesnt make strange noise. This I think is just a notch tighter than what ATIC recomments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts