Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Andy (XT6), Sam (African Simba), Phil (Pig Ugly), Tim (TheTimKirby) and Rolly (Tims mate) for joing me on a day through the North Wales Trails. I had a great day:thumbright:

On a mixture of bikes, 3 Africa Twins (me, Sam and Tim), an XT6 (Andy), a TransRat (Phil) and a 250 enduro bike (Rolly)

Setting off from my home in Runcorn at 08:30 meeting Andy, Phil and Sam at J11 M56. Then off towards Llangollen to meet Tim and Rolly. On the trails by 10am.

Highlights of the day - Both Sam and Tim improved since the last time we were out, Sam came off 3 times and Tim approx 7 (Im sure he will claim it was 5 times......)....as opposed to 10 and 5 falls last time:thumbup:, and Phil joining for 1 drop....he will claim it was well parked, but if a bikes hits the floor then its got to be counted as a drop!!!!

Another clean sheet for me, Andy and Rolly (maybe we were not trying hard enough???)

Heres some snaps......

Myself, Phil and Sam went for a walk and managed to hitch a lift on a passing narrowboat as it crossed the aqueduct near Llangollen.....thats a long way down.

View

Sam comes through a large puddle....lots of water on the trails today. Great fun.

Tim was moaning of being tired......BUT you cant rest there Tim:thumbright::thumbright:

Rolly loses his wheels....

Andy takes the sensible approach round the mud (BORING)

Tim falls again, the position of the bike made it difficult to get to going up the hill.

The ruts were just too bad on this track, so it was easier (and fun) to burn through the field.

Phil on his TransRat.

Sams bike decides it needs a rest.

Andy going round the mess on the Wayfarer, Sams follows, but take a look at the back. Tims getting a few zzzzzzzzz again.

This is my favourite photo. On the top track Andy, Rolly and Phil (and me eventually), bottom track is Tim and Sam.

Tim comes through a puddle on the Wayfarer. :blob8:

Arrived home at 18:00. Great day, cant wait until the next trip.

·
Tonight we dine in hell
269 Posts
AWESOME, I'm salivating here:blob8::blob8::blob8:

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Ee ya bugger!

Can anyone explain to me why I have sat here and typed all day when I could have been doing that.

*seethe*

Brilliant day out lads! And that AT was well-held through the puddle... :thumbright:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
I'am Gonna have to come up and your gonna have to come down great shots.:D

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Looks like you had a good day

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Great day out me thinks Beddowsm
Great pics and great to see some vid.

Won't miss the next one.

Excellent parking by the rwb @ - sure if you shout, just as you are resting it , that you are getting off for a while to check out the fauna and flora , it doesn't count as a drop.

·
Crumbs, Chief !
168 Posts
Hi Mike,

Thanks for organising another great ride.

We did pretty much 7 straight hours on the trails... Great fun and lots of entertainment... Some good challenging sections today due to the recent rainfall - lots of deep water and muddy sections.

Was well chuffed with my new TCK80s - felt much more grippy on any offroad surface than the Trailwings my XT came with - albeit at the expense of a strange front end 'weave' on road at speeds over 65 mph. Still it makes getting there more interesting.

I do need to investigate why my bike went into a deep 10 minute sleep after going through that long section of 2 ft of water. (Thanks to Phil with his WD40 for waking her up again. It truly was like a magic trick.)

I noticed all the Honda motorcycles didn't suffer from the same issue so I plan to put honda stickers over the yamaha logos and see if that helps prevent the problem in future.

That said - I noticed all the honda ones were constantly lying down for little naps throughout the day, so it seems nothing's perfect.

:thumbup:

Andy

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Ee ya bugger!

Can anyone explain to me why I have sat here and typed all day when I could have been doing that.

*seethe*

Brilliant day out lads! And that AT was well-held through the puddle... :thumbright:

Phil you would have done it on a bald tyre as well.:grin:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
What a fab day out, arrived home at 6.20 to Vanessa's home made plumb crumble - her first cooking experience to date.....

And I'm still here to tell the tale

Unexpected road closure, hmmmm, what should we do .......

The day started a bit chilly, canal boat trip across the aquaduct was fab.

From then on, Mike led the way, seamlessly tying one trail with the next with some fab little tarmac sections (this not being one of them!).

It's quite an experience having a bow wave coming over the front of the bike:toothy7:

...and a few more

Can't wait for the next one.

Note; must cobble together some kind of crash bars....

Cheers all for a great day out

Phil

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
That looks awesome fun :thumbright: Makes me jealous... :(

·
Registered
740 Posts
Big Thank you to Mike (Beddowsm) for yet another great and memorable day. Cheers Mate :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Also thanks to Phil (PigUglyshandydrinker), Tim (TimKirby) Andy (XT6) and Rolly for great company. We had a fab time and great fun.:thumbup::thumbup:

The trails were much better than last time; the dry weather did the trick. Some of them were demanding specially with heavy bikes but its all part of the fun.
Got home for about 6.45PM but didn't get the chance to log on until now.. Here are few Pic's..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Many thanks to Mike for organising another great day out, and for choosing better weather. Thanks also to Phil for the multimeter, its a really neat little unit.

Hope you didn't take the comments about the Yamaha seriously, Andy, I'm just jealous because you didn't fall off. The missfire after a drowning is pretty common, and should be fairly easy to fix. A little silicone grease on the plug lead where it goes into the cap is worth a try, and on the rubber seal where the cap goes over the plug. If you apply it while they are dry, it should keep the water out. The other possibility is water filling the plug recess in the head, although if the caps seals on the plug properly, this shouldn't be a problem. I think it is more likely to be the lead/cap, as the WD40 did the trick straight away. Failing that, try the Honda badge....

Sadly, its seems that my 'spontaneous parking' is becoming a regular feature of these trips. I think I've binned it more in the last two days out than in the previous 20 odd years of road riding. The side fairing suffered a bit, despite the crash bars, but the home-made hand guards earned their keep. In my defence, I was egged on by the others to 'give it some' for the boggy puddle, with the results shown. I got more points for the quality of the dive than for riding skill. Ho hum.

Sorry to wuss out on you for the last planned sections, but after all the bike wrestling I was properly knackered when I got home. I think the twin is a bit heavy for my minimal off-road skill, so I can't wait to get the old XL250 I've just bought going. Then I might give you b*ggers a run for your money.

Thanks again for a great day out, and count me in for the next one.

Tim.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sadly, its seems that my 'spontaneous parking' is becoming a regular feature of these trips. I think I've binned it more in the last two days out than in the previous 20 odd years of road riding. .
Im amazed at the determination. Both you and Sam had some serious tumbles, but you both just get back on and carry on. Not sure I would have the same drive to keep going if I had hit the dirt as much.......:thumbright:

Sorry to wuss out on you for the last planned sections, but after all the bike wrestling I was properly knackered when I got home.
You didnt wuss out, it was a group decision (and the right one) to stop. Carrying on when we were all tired is not a good idea. It would only result in more falls, which in turn could get serious. Far better to quit when we are ahead...besides, we had 7 hours on the trails which is plenty for anyone

I think the twin is a bit heavy for my minimal off-road skill, so I can't wait to get the old XL250 I've just bought going. Then I might give you b*ggers a run for your money.
I think everyone had a great skill level. No one struggled with any of the sections.....we all did well....so I dont think you have minimal off road skill! But yep, once you have the XL up and running feel free to bring that along.

·
Crumbs, Chief !
168 Posts
Hope you didn't take the comments about the Yamaha seriously, Andy
Of course not! Actually the problem of not being able to wade in more than a foot of water has been bugging me for some time. It was much more noticeable on this trip as there was much more water about...

The missfire after a drowning is pretty common, and should be fairly easy to fix. A little silicone grease on the plug lead where it goes into the cap is worth a try, and on the rubber seal where the cap goes over the plug. If you apply it while they are dry, it should keep the water out. The other possibility is water filling the plug recess in the head, although if the caps seals on the plug properly, this shouldn't be a problem. I think it is more likely to be the lead/cap, as the WD40 did the trick straight away.
A bit of research revealed a number of posts on the HUBB with people having the same problem (XT600 losing power/stalling mid water crossing, or just afterwards, rising revs & other strange effects). It seems that the problem happens when the ends of the carb breathers (which are only swingarm height) are submerged - they stop the carbs from breathing and can even suck in water. A common fix is to tee 2 new pipes off from the original breathers and route the new ones under the seat. Then when the original pipes are submerged the carbs can still breathe through the upper pipes.

I've already ordered the £3 worth of t-connectors and tubing needed to fix it. But I'll grease up the plug cap etc anyway too as it can only help...

Cheers, Andy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts