Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well i've done it, i picked up my first 1998 @ yesterday:wav:, and set of home, did a 40 mile testing ride b4 I stopped and checked it over, then set off for my 170 mile trip home, everything was fine untill it lost power and stopped on the motorway:(, (no rattles or anything) tried restarting it but no joy unless the choke was on but it wouldnt rev or would stop if the choke was off, anyway I got it home on the back of a truck, low and behold i've just tried it and woof it fired up and runs sweet again :eek: any ideas guys.

secondly, is the trip computer thingy backlit cos if it does mine dont work may need a new bulb but want to find out if it has one or not

Thanks peeps, take care

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi all, well i've done it, i picked up my first 1998 @ yesterday:wav:, and set of home, did a 40 mile testing ride b4 I stopped and checked it over, then set off for my 170 mile trip home, everything was fine untill it lost power and stopped on the motorway:(, (no rattles or anything) tried restarting it but no joy unless the choke was on but it wouldnt rev or would stop if the choke was off, anyway I got it home on the back of a truck, low and behold i've just tried it and woof it fired up and runs sweet again :eek: any ideas guys.

secondly, is the trip computer thingy backlit cos if it does mine dont work may need a new bulb but want to find out if it has one or not

Thanks peeps, take care
How much Fuel did you have? , you may needed to swtich to Reserve since there is warining lights on the @ !!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, not a low fuel problem, i had just filled up a the beginning of my trip and had only covered about 80 miles in total, it was like I was starting to go up a steep hill and needed more revs but wouldnt, so pulled the clutch in and it just slowed down and cut out, (I was on a flat bit of road when it happened)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Try switching to reserve anyway, it would help to rule out the fuel feed.
It could be the fuel pump on it's last legs.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts

Thanks peeps, take care
Ok i know nothing about bikes full stop:( the few bits i know i learned on here and from own experience.
Sounds very much like the fuel pump to me.Some clever people will be along shortly and tell you how to check that out.If it is the fuel pump ypu must not worry as we sell them on this very site:D
see here
http://www.ruggedroads.com/shop/article_40105/Facet-Fuel-Pump.html?shop_param=cid%3D61%26aid%3D40105%26
and yep the trip meter should be backlit but i have not got a clue how to get to the bulb,once again some clever person will be here soon:D
welcome to the site:D:D

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Jase'

Had the bike been used regularly prior to you buying it, or had it sat around for a while?

Could be some crap fuel, and very likely to be the fuel pump, but until it splutters to a stop again, it might be hard to diagnose.

Did the recovery truck guy have a bash at getting it started, or have an opinion?

Basically you need fuel and a spark to make an engine go, so it could be either!!

Keep us posted how you get on, or where you break-down next :happy6:

Good Luck

Bob

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
it does sound like the classic fuel pump problem.. it would be worth doing the change to the facet pump as linked by vader.

you can change the bulb on the trip meter but you have to take the unit off and open it up to get to it:thumbup:

welcome to the site fella:thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Certainly sounds like the fuel pump (my 1998 @ pump failed at 20k - I got a 2nd hand one from a breakers which has been fine), you'll find it gets hot after a while, then stops. You can test by disconnecting the electrical connector to the pump and then bypassing it with some fuel pipe. If the level in the tank is high, you can gravity feed the carbs and the engine will run.

·
Registered
225 Posts
you can change the bulb on the trip meter but you have to take the unit off and open it up to get to it
I changed the bulb on mine just by removing the tripmaster unit from its bracket and gently pulling off the rubber bulb socket by twisting and pulling. There is no need to disassemble the tripmaster unit just to change the bulb.

On another related note, the tripmaster backlight is just to make the numbers visible at night or in poor lighting conditions.

If the tripmaster does not show any info (i.e., is shut off, with a blank screen with no numbers during normal operation of the motorcycle), the fault lies somewhere else, maybe a fuse?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My bike is a 2002 @.

The tripmaster bulb comes out with a rubber bung which i just pulled out.

A connection had corroded, due I suspect to there being a voltage applied all the time to the tripmaster while the engine is off, on the tripmaster connection also.

SC

·
Woohoo!!!
162 Posts
Thanks LV. Facet fuel pump on the way for me:thumbleft: 42k with the original makes me twitchy. Or am I being paranoid?!?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
There is no such thing as paranoia when it comes to an original AT pump with 42k miles on the clock.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did you buy this bike from Goldiefish? :D

Seriously...sounds like a fuel pump.
The Cheek.

My bike is in Perfect mechanical order....

now...
If not the pump could be something simple like a blocked vent pipe?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts