Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has passed his bike test and is KEEN to get something a bit quicker and sexier than his Honda 125 City Fly - which is for sale if anyone is interested. Anyway he has his heart set on a CB250 Hornet and is begging me to take him all over the country to look at them. I am sure he would buy one based the ebay description if I didn't stop him.

I know nothing about these bikes, but looking about the 'net they seem to be a good bike. All are Jap imports, so limited provenance but as they are all 7-10 years old the early history is getting to be a bit of an irrelevance anyway.

Anyone got any experience of a 250 Hornet, what to look for, what wears out etc etc. The few forums I could find weren't really that helpful.

Thanks

oh, and any other suggestions for a Good 33hp learner bike would be welcome (except I can tell you now 17year olds think TAs and ATs are old fashioned (and that's being polite).;)

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
get a 600 hornet and fit a restrictor kit..proper big bike and when he's times up restrictors out..up to full power..and the best bit he knows and is comfy with the bike:cool: :cool:

also you could get a decent early 600 hornet for about the same money as the 250:cool:

L

·
0 Posts
get a 600 hornet and fit a restrictor kit..proper big bike and when he's times up restrictors out..up to full power..and the best bit he knows and is comfy with the bike:cool: :cool:

also you could get a decent early 600 hornet for about the same money as the 250:cool:
I was gonna suggest the same. Only real issue is the heavier weight. But insurance will probably be cheaper as it's not a grey import (just to clarify not all imported bikes are grey imports...only a bike not normaly sold in this country is classified as a grey import)

Othe lighter weight options is the M600 Monster (light bike) or a newer KLE500 if he likes a lighter semi trails/road bike.

Kymmy :cool:

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
The KLE500 is a great little bike. Check out my Stella ride report, a mate came along on one of those and had no bother keeping up at all. Seemed to have plenty of legs for the motorway stuff and looked really good in the twisties and on the dirt. Simon's is an 05 with low low miles and he picked it up for about £1700 as a bit of minter.

Doesn't look like that anymore mind you, one Stella later! :D

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
My brother has a restricted Thundercat. Would agree with what the others have said above.

Don't see the appeal of a 250 versus the millions of other choices - they aren't even 33bhp are they?! More like 23!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Lots of bikes can be restricted to 33hp - even the Alp!

A friend has just purchased a VTR250 cracking little bike but again a 'grey', she was after something decent looking and easily manegable for a shorter person and light. Not much choice on the home market I'm afraid.

I'd say find what style of bike he likes & get it restricted.

Phil

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, my son reckons insurance on a 600 is over £1,000 (but he is chacking again right now), whereas he has been quoted £350 TPF&T for a restricted 250. Oh, and in standard trim a 250 Hornet apparently makes 40bhp and even restricted is good for 110ish (so that'll be faster than my TA :( ).

In terms of style he definitely wants a naked/streetfighter/sporty bike and deffo NOT a big trailie - but he'll learn.

·
where next?
508 Posts
I've got one!

And I have to say I love it to bits. It was standard when I bought it but I couldn't resist tweaking it a bit. It's got a Renthal Ultra Low bar, Valter Moto rider only rearsets, Goodridge braided hoses, crash mushrooms, Art exhaust (Arrow sticker ;-)), Repsol orange wheels, mini indicators, hugger, and a tail tidy.

And to ride, it's so much fun. 40 horses aint that bad and it really goes when you wind it up. You can scream it round the twisties at 10,000 plus revs (redline is at 16,000) and stay pretty much within the speed limit!! It weighs 150 kilos and holds the road well thanks to its original Fireblade size wheels/tyres! Some say the 16 inch front makes the handling a bit off but I think it's a hoot! It's got a Fireblade 4 pot front brake caliper with a decent size disc and braking is superb (not sure about the back brake - I never use it :rolleyes:). The suspension is a bit on the soft side but that's my only gripe. Oh and it probably runs a bit better with the original exhaust. Sounds good though!

I'd say get one. It's even more fun than farting in the bath :fart: :thumbup::thumb:

Dylan

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
EVEN MORE FUN THAN FARTING IN THE BATH !!!!

ROFL HELL THAT TICKLED ME:D :D :D :D must be summin to do with this bottle of JD:scratch:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
EVEN MORE FUN THAN FARTING IN THE BATH !!!!

ROFL HELL THAT TICKLED ME:D :D :D :D must be summin to do with this bottle of JD:scratch:
You'd be better(and cheaper) with a bottle of "Black Jim" mate!:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks all, my son reckons insurance on a 600 is over £1,000 (but he is chacking again right now), whereas he has been quoted £350 TPF&T for a restricted 250. Oh, and in standard trim a 250 Hornet apparently makes 40bhp and even restricted is good for 110ish (so that'll be faster than my TA :( ).

In terms of style he definitely wants a naked/streetfighter/sporty bike and deffo NOT a big trailie - but he'll learn.
I bought a CB500 which is naked and looks the biz, I stuck a restrictor on it but it will easily cruise at Motorway speeds and have no trouble getting there.

Paid about 250 for insurance but when i looked at a CBR600RF with a restrictor I was looking at about 800 so it is worth checking a few different bikes out. Good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Forget the hornet 250, a CB500 will last longer, be cheaper to insure (and be cheaper generally), and is still fun with or without the restrictors...

But plenty of people also restrict the 600...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts