Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12-year-old son, playing for Lewisham, just lost in the final of the London Youth Games indoor cricket competition to Harrow, played today at Lords.
I am mighty proud of him.
He played well, the team played well and they had an excellent spirit. The whole competition was well-run and played in the right way until the final (today was quarters and semis then the final).
Some of the Harrow "boys" (under 13s) appeared to have wives and children to go home to (when they beat Richmond in the semi-final there was not a Richmond player as tall as Harrow's shortest and my gorilla of a son was dwarfed by them).
But when they started deliberately dropping catches and refusing to run out Lewisham tail-enders, because to have done so would have meant our opening batsmen who had to retire on 20, could come back in, you started to realise that this really was "just not cricket".
When I told my son at home later that I had shouted at the Harrow players to look up the word "gamesmanship" in the dictionary, he told me I should not have lowered myself to their level. He was right, of course.
Brought a tear to my eye.

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Kids have a habbit of surprising us don't they. You should be really proud it sounds like he has a really good head on his shoulders.

My babe got back on a horse today for the first time since she was trampled 2 weeks ago, she's only 11 years old and still limping because her foot is sore and with bruises fading. she got on the biggest bloody horse there and despite the fact she was sobbing because she was so scared rode for an hour and refused to give in. She then went eye to eye with the horse that threw her and trampled her and stared it out with the words, I'll ride you again you B****rd and then you'll find out who's boss. (I didn't have the heart to tell her off for swearing)

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
You should be rightly proud of him Wheelie :thumbright:

Sharrie my two have just stated back riding after a break of a few years - they rode every week when they were younger but gave it up weeks after I'd just remortgaged the house to get them all new kit :shock: :D

Yep - they're very often much more balanced and resilient that we give them credit for :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts