Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week Offroader, Eammon and myself caught a ferry to Calais, for a little jaunt into France. We were heading down to visit a campsite owned by a French friend of mine in Charmes sur l'herbasse, which is situated between Lyon and Valence. First stop though was at Guignicourt near Reims as i'd done around 520 miles and was desperate for a beer.
Next day was around 400 odd mile to my friends using the Autoroutes and was pissed off to find my bike averaging 32mpg at 80mph while Eammons and Robs XRV and V-Strom doing around 50mpg.( turns out the front brake was bound on........DOH. fixed the next day :teeth:)

Woke up the next morning and headed into the Alps to do a loop i hadn't rode before, so via the Vercours Mountains, stunning winding twisty roads blasted out of the mountainsides, onto Grenoble, we headed for Col de Lauteret (stunning) and then carried on up Col de Galibier (F**k me). Time was against us so we then made our way back to camp.

Next day into Provence and up Mont Ventoux to visit Tommy Simpsons memorial. Fantastic twisty roads and stunning views at the top way above the treeline. From here we headed West to the Ardeche Gorge and onto the Vallon Pont D'Arc, A fabulous huge natural arch carved out over centuries by th river. A great day spoiled by getting caught out after dark on an unlit French Autoroute in the mother of all storms :mad:.

The next morning headed into the Central Massif and camped near the Puy de Dome, took a ride up to view the spine of Volcanoes and get some presents for the family, which to be honest i was missing badly ( some traveller i'd make..NOT). So i said my goodbyes and headed for Calais and an early Ferry.

About 2700 miles in all, bike used 2.5 litres of oil (piston rings methinks)
Front pistons in caliper fooked
Clutch fooked
and chain and sprockets fooked.:D:D

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Sounds great. Brings back good memorys. Galibier and Ventoux are brill. Have you tried any of the lanes around Ventoux?? Some good stuff in the Drome area. Top tip is buy the green IGN map of the area your in and look for the solid black lines which are your green lanes. I can recommend a stay at
http://www.frenchconnections.co.uk/en/accommodation/property/086

which is run by Pam and Dave (ex TRF man) which is just north of Ventoux with brilliant roads all around them (Serres-Nyons). You've got me salivating for next year now!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a good trip :thumb::D:D

By the lack of pictures I take it the camera's fooked too :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Was stuck with an old film type camera i'm afraid, as the wife holidayed with the Digi one :mad:.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Sounds great. Brings back good memorys. Galibier and Ventoux are brill. Have you tried any of the lanes around Ventoux?? Some good stuff in the Drome area. Top tip is buy the green IGN map of the area your in and look for the solid black lines which are your green lanes. I can recommend a stay at
http://www.frenchconnections.co.uk/en/accommodation/property/086

which is run by Pam and Dave (ex TRF man) which is just north of Ventoux with brilliant roads all around them (Serres-Nyons). You've got me salivating for next year now!

+1 :blob2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts